Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
but made himself of no reputation

Re: Pastoral Authority....where did it come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
God Bless the Anointed Ministry!
Praise and honor to our God, who has anointed every member of his own body!
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Pastors DO have quite a bit of authority as leaders of their particular congregation. It is in the same same vein as the president of the local chapter of "fill in the name" has over their group as well. God recognizes government and grants the pastor authority just as he does the members of your town council or president of the local knitting club.
except in this case the by-laws are pretty much written and adopted in the Holy Scriptures. There is very little room for private interpretation - that has more in common with the emperors and dictators than a New Testament church Elder.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
except in this case the by-laws are pretty much written and adopted in the Holy Scriptures. There is very little room for private interpretation - that has more in common with the emperors and dictators than a New Testament church Elder.
Except the by-laws that deal with financial matters, church schedules and times, employee pay, paperwork for tax purposes and accounting in general, board meetings, voting procedures, etc..... basically the "business end" of running a church.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Except the by-laws that deal with financial matters, church schedules and times, employee pay, paperwork for tax purposes and accounting in general, board meetings, voting procedures, etc..... basically the "business end" of running a church.
Yeah I would concede some of that - though it would be better left to others and not a single leader arbitrarily enacting them.

Also, the thread starter did not seem to imply business authority, but rather "control" in the "lives of the people".

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

How about this for pastoral authority - this happened to a friend of mine - her husband died by getting electrocuted on the job - he was in his mid 40's - the pastor REFUSED to cancel church for the wake - made the funeral home put the body back in a Sunday School Room during service his wife sat in there with the body - the pastor said that NO MEMBER of the church was to sit back there with her during service - however a couple from the church sat with her anyway and of course the pastor was very angry that they disobeyed him - TO ME - THAT IS CROSSING THE LINE!
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJJ View Post
There are absolutely some bad ones out there, but let's not let them ruin a Godly principle. Pastors are an essental part of the five-fold ministry. I do concur with some though that things can and are taken overboard.

God Bless the Anointed Ministry!
Who are the "apostles" in that "Five Fold Ministry" scheme? And can I pick and choose from among the itinerant evangelists? Some of the ones going 'round today are a bit wacky for me.

Also, the passage you appear to cite in Ephesians 4, says these ministries are to edify the church in love. Where does the "authority" mandate come from?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Quite a lot of input here. I have noticed from some of the more conservative sites that this seems to be a very important issue. I just have a hard time believing the funeral story. Are there pastors that are that mean? I read on one forum where a pastor grieved over the fact that people were not as submited to him as he wanted them to be. This just really seems to be not quite right. Then there were those who applauded him for his strict stand and hardness for preaching it to the people. Is this a large group that does this or are they fringe?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

It's the superhero syndrome! They place themselves next to Jesus Christ and are the saviors of the people.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
Quite a lot of input here. I have noticed from some of the more conservative sites that this seems to be a very important issue. I just have a hard time believing the funeral story. Are there pastors that are that mean? I read on one forum where a pastor grieved over the fact that people were not as submited to him as he wanted them to be. This just really seems to be not quite right. Then there were those who applauded him for his strict stand and hardness for preaching it to the people. Is this a large group that does this or are they fringe?
Trust me - the funeral story is true.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpew View Post
but dt, the same source of understanding (scriptures) that provide us the witness of liberty that grace has provided, also is:
1.Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
2.Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
3.Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4.All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

I'm pretty sure you get the picture.

We, as bondservants of our loving Lord, do not operate as much from liberty, but more in service to the one who has redeemed us from the snare of our own transgressions.
misunderstanding my friend, christian liberty is the liberty to do right, not what you want, before we are bound to christ thru salvation we dont have that right because of our sinful nature, love ya, dt