Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Arrow What comes of those who do not speak tongues?

So....

I hate to ask, but being a newbie.....

This question stems from your, Are you an apostolic? thread Larry

So, in Apostolic church, what happens if someone is baptized & does not speak in tongues?

Is he booted? Looked down on? Shunned? Re-baptized till this happens? Sent to a Baptist church? <lol What typically happens if this does happen?

Does this happen at the baptism?

Does one get baptized & not show this evidence? < Does this happen? If so how often?

Do people fake this?

??????????????????????????

Here's my personal background with speaking in tongues:
I was sent to a very small Apostolic school as a teen...
During my 2yrs there, 1 time, and only 1 time, did I see the pastors wife "fake" this from what I knew.... I could run a long story for the details, but she was speaking in tongues up front, but for the slightest second she looked out the corner of her eye followed by this look of disregard at another.

That's all I know.

So I thought to myself, if she's not real, then none of this is real.

Months later some questions came up accusing the paster of some things with a girl there (which might have been true but not surprising given the teens practiced & public promiscuity.

So then I thought to myself, if neither of these 2 are real, then for sure none of this is real.

The school closed down about then & that was the end of that....

So that's all I know, aside form scriptures I've been reading up on (Tnks Larry).

Please answer some of these questions PLease PLEASE
Old 05-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Re: What comes of those who do not speak tongues?

I would like to add after reading that post that I'm NOT saying I do not Believe such evidence is not genuine.
Personally I have it in my uneducated mind that indeed some people (Apostles) can show this evidence, and others (non-Apostles) don't. Both can be saved, but the Apostles have it in them to preform Gods works to a degree less than that of Jesus's miracles, but much higher than others.

SO then I say to myself, well maybe Apostolics are indeed todays Apostles, but then if that's the case why couldn't today's (non-Apostles) still join the same church? For if a church was only full of miracle preforming Apostles, who else is there to help?

I look forward to my laugh years from now, reading this then & seeing my ignorance now.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Im glad that you are trully seeking. Tongues is not just a gift of Apostles. Salvation is based on the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus.

Death by dying to sins- this is called repentence. (Acts 2:38)
Burial: Being baptized in the name of Jesus (Acts 2:38, Acts 4:12, 1 Peter 3:21
Resurection: as a new creature by the infilling of the holy ghost (Acts 2:38, Acts 10:44-46, Acts 8:14-16)

Looking at those verses you can easily judge that the infilling of the Holy Ghost comes with that evidence of speaking in tongues. You can be baptized and have repented of your sins but still not have the infilling of the Holy Ghost as we see in ACTS chapter 8. They had received God but still had to have the laying of hands to receive the Holy Ghost.

So to answer the question simply, if you are baptized and have repented, you are on your way to step 3. Its not a bad thing, i was baptized years before i received the infilling of the Spirit.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Plus don't forget that Apostolic's are not the only one who receive the Baptism in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Pentecostals and Charismatics are also Baptized by Christ.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

Most people who speak in tongues aren't oneness pentecostal and are baptized in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Ghost.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Plus don't forget that Apostolic's are not the only one who receive the Baptism in the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Pentecostals and Charismatics are also Baptized by Christ.
True dat. I've seen it myself.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Repent and believe the Gospel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerman View Post
Most people who speak in tongues aren't oneness pentecostal and are baptized in the name of the Father, Son, Holy Ghost.
Get thee behind me Satan.

Scripture is its own interpreter. Nothing can cut a diamond but a diamond. Nothing can interpret Scripture but Scripture" Thomas Watson.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

That Makes A Lot Of Sense! Thanks for that!

SO you choose to be baptized as a step towards receiving The Spirit, even if you are unknowingly not spiritually ready for this yet? Is that RIGHT?

Deciding to be baptized is; you making the call to God that you are ready to receive His Spirit (when he decides you are ready)? <in a nut shell lol
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Being baptized is having ones sins washed away and being risen up in the newness of God, doesnt mean your full of power of the Holy Ghost but it does mean that your sins are washed away by the blood of Jesus (hint, why we baptize in the name of JESUS).

If your looking for salvation, your going to want to be baptized in the name of the one who died for your sins.

Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygoat1998 View Post
Most Apostolics also go by Pentecostal. Charismatics speak in tongues i know but this is a question concerning the completion of salvation so im answering based on what I know is truth.

It is possible to receive the baptism of Gods spirit BEFORE being baptized (as occurred in ACTS chapter 10). But also possible to receive it long after being Baptized as stated in Acts 8. If you have not been baptized in the Name of Jesus, its necessary to be re baptized as occurred in Acts 19 but we'll save that for another thread lol.