Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Cain's Wife (Genesis 4)

Genesis 4:

""1. And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. 2. And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.""

From this I count 4 humans alive: Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel.

""8. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.""

Now there are 3 humans alive: Adam, Eve, and Cain.

""16. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. 17. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.""

Where did Cain find a wife? Who was this unnamed woman? From whence (or who) did she come?

""And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.""

Why isn't there a record of Cain's wife's birth? The Bible has a lot of begats and births in chapter 4 ... but nothing about Cain's wife.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Re: Cain's Wife (Genesis 4)

Chances are between verse 2 and 3 up to 100 years could have past so there was much more people than 4.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Adding to previous comment:
[Gen 5:4 NASB] 4 Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had [other] sons and daughters.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometown guy View Post
Chances are between verse 2 and 3 up to 100 years could have past so there was much more people than 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Adding to previous comment:
[Gen 5:4 NASB] 4 Then the days of Adam after he became the father of Seth were eight hundred years, and he had [other] sons and daughters.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:43 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

For whom did he build a city?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Genesis 4:

""1. And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. 2. And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.""

From this I count 4 humans alive: Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel.

""8. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.""

Now there are 3 humans alive: Adam, Eve, and Cain.

""16. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. 17. And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.""

Where did Cain find a wife? Who was this unnamed woman? From whence (or who) did she come?

""And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.""

Why isn't there a record of Cain's wife's birth? The Bible has a lot of begats and births in chapter 4 ... but nothing about Cain's wife.
Non of Adam's sons' wives are given a geneology. Geneology wasn't as concerned with where a woman came from as it was concerned with where a man came from, since inheritance was patrilineal not matrilineal.

But as for Cain's wife, she may have been his sister, although I doubt it. There were other people besides Adam and his immediate family. We know this because when Cain was evicted from the Adamic homeland he was worried that whoever found him would kill him. God put a mark on him to warn others against doing that. These others are clearly not his immediate siblings.

Further, he moved and built a city. This implies he established himself as a ruler of some sort, which implies other people. A nomadic camp for one's immediate family does not constitute a "city".

Therefore I conclude there were others besides Adam's immediate progeny, and it is likely Cain took a wife from among them.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 06-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Non of Adam's sons' wives are given a geneology. Geneology wasn't as concerned with where a woman came from as it was concerned with where a man came from, since inheritance was patrilineal not matrilineal.

But as for Cain's wife, she may have been his sister, although I doubt it. There were other people besides Adam and his immediate family. We know this because when Cain was evicted from the Adamic homeland he was worried that whoever found him would kill him. God put a mark on him to warn others against doing that. These others are clearly not his immediate siblings.

Further, he moved and built a city. This implies he established himself as a ruler of some sort, which implies other people. A nomadic camp for one's immediate family does not constitute a "city".

Therefore I conclude there were others besides Adam's immediate progeny, and it is likely Cain took a wife from among them.
Gen 4:4 "And in process of time it came to pass."

The Bible says Adam was 930 when he died, so this "process of time" could have been hundreds of years in which time Adam and Eve had other children who grew and had other children.

I could be that Cain's wife was a cousin or 2nd cousin, depending on the time frame of verse 4.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Gen 4:4 "And in process of time it came to pass."

The Bible says Adam was 930 when he died, so this "process of time" could have been hundreds of years in which time Adam and Eve had other children who grew and had other children.

I could be that Cain's wife was a cousin or 2nd cousin, depending on the time frame of verse 4.
Work up the chronology and see what you get.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post

People who were not related to Adam?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:09 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
People who were not related to Adam?
Reptilians, of the Clinton Bloodline.

I'll post more this evening.