Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Modern pentecostal church music and Oneness

Many old hymns and songs were theologically explicitly Oneness. They served to teach theology, soteriology, and other doctrines.

Does the modern repertoire in Oneness churches do the same? Or are modern worship songs lacking in doctrinal and theological instructive content?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Re: Modern pentecostal church music and Oneness

Modern music is just that....modern! Most of it lacks annointing!

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 12-01-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered Member

Sorry friends but I dont see all the great things about the old music some do. Perhaps there are a few PENTECOSTAL SONGS that teach Oneness doctrine. I can think of maybe two of them.

I would like to be proven wrong. And then are the songs spiritual and heavenly? Promoting intimacy with Christ?

While I dont care for much "Contemporary Christian Music" and agree there is much shallowness I dont consider most of the old time Baptist/Pentecostal music any better.

Please post some of the kind of songs you think we should be singing.

Is this what you mean?

Old 12-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered Member

Is that more spiritual and heavenly than this?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Spiritual is not synonymous with emotional. Personally I find the contemporay mood music which is often semi-hypnotic to be decidedly UNspiritual. Biblically music is for the purpose of teaching and admonition, not "creating an atmosphere of intimacy". Besides, there is no "intimacy" with Christ apart from TRUTH. I find the modern need to "be intimate" with God is reflective of the sensuous effeminization of our culture, to be honest. As a male I simply don't relate to worship that attempts to be a churchified version of a romantic evening with God. He's not my girlfriend or my wife, he's my God and Saviour. Too much music these days is little more than manipulation of the emotions, in my opinion. It's as if the MUSIC itself, apart from the melody, is the main thing.

But this thread isn't about style vs style. It's about theological content of the lyrics. The following songs contain didactic material:

All in Him.
The Water Way.
Thank God For the Blood.
Jesus, the Son of God.
Down From His Glory.
I came up those just off the top of my head. There many other hymns that teach doctrine though perhaps not specifically Oneness.

My suspicion is modern Pentecostal churches use modern music that is not written to impart doctrine, but instead is written to make people "feel" certain ways. And as a result, believers immersed in such environments tend to develop ecumenical tendencies.. they tend to believe oneness and trinity aren't that different (or even all that important). It's just a theory I have. I honestly do not know what the repertoire is like these days in oneness churches. I know when I quit going to UPC churches years ago most seemed to be using contemporary worship music borrowed from the modern evangelical/charismatic music scene.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 12-01-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Btw, I watched the Hillsong video. That's not a particularly bad song. It almost seems like an old fashioned hymn. But I wonder... how is it all these MASSES of people are "experiencing" such powerful intimacy with Christ... yet always remaing ignorant of WHO EXACTLY HE IS? Is their worship experience essentially a "one night stand"?

Old 12-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Temporary Occupant of Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Spiritual is not synonymous with emotional. Personally I find the contemporay mood music which is often semi-hypnotic to be decidedly UNspiritual. Biblically music is for the purpose of teaching and admonition, not "creating an atmosphere of intimacy". Besides, there is no "intimacy" with Christ apart from TRUTH. I find the modern need to "be intimate" with God is reflective of the sensuous effeminization of our culture, to be honest. As a male I simply don't relate to worship that attempts to be a churchified version of a romantic evening with God. He's not my girlfriend or my wife, he's my God and Saviour. Too much music these days is little more than manipulation of the emotions, in my opinion. It's as if the MUSIC itself, apart from the melody, is the main thing.

But this thread isn't about style vs style. It's about theological content of the lyrics. The following songs contain didactic material:

All in Him.
The Water Way.
Thank God For the Blood.
Jesus, the Son of God.
Down From His Glory.

I came up those just off the top of my head. There many other hymns that teach doctrine though perhaps not specifically Oneness.

My suspicion is modern Pentecostal churches use modern music that is not written to impart doctrine, but instead is written to make people "feel" certain ways. And as a result, believers immersed in such environments tend to develop ecumenical tendencies.. they tend to believe oneness and trinity aren't that different (or even all that important). It's just a theory I have. I honestly do not know what the repertoire is like these days in oneness churches. I know when I quit going to UPC churches years ago most seemed to be using contemporary worship music borrowed from the modern evangelical/charismatic music scene.
Thank you!

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Do Not Argue With Idiots, they will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Old 12-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
Modern music is just that....modern! Most of it lacks annointing!
Why would music be dabbed or immersed in oil?

That is one of the most misused words in the Church today. Music isn't anointed

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.