Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
holy ghost, jesus, praise, shouting, worship

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: Sit Down and Behave Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Anyone ever been standing still with eyes closed, and feeling such a deep presence of God you want to just weep and fade into God's very being... then suddenly someone walk up, start shaking your head, while screaming at you with a microphone until you start dancing just to get them to leave you alone?

Have you ever just stood there and hear statements about being dead, lifeless, and a "bump on a log" because you don't get down with the Pentecostal "bang clang"? lol

Sorry... I'd not trade what I have now for all that hooplah in a million years.
There is a time for the quiet.

There is a time for the roar.

What's disagreeable about that?

Why would you do away with one or the other when doing so is completely unbiblical?

Error begets error is so true.

Here is error.
We don't need to raise our voices. We don't have to leap for joy. God knows our heart and before you know it our gatherings are nothing more than feel-good meetings completely void of the POWER of Christ for people who share the same opinion of Christ.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Error begets error. And legalism is a sign of having totally missed the entire point of Christ... and the grace of God. (Galatians 5:4)

Some churches look alive in the natural... but they are spiritually DEAD where they dance.

Others don't have the "bang clang", jiggy dancing, and concert.... they are simply gathered around a table in a humble home to open the Word. And these are ALIVE.
you made the error, i correct you.

i cant find a church out there that believes like i do, so i do attend a upci, i personally do not agree with there legalism as i stated, i also do not agree with there interpretation of some scriptures. however what i showed you is not error begetting error.

also people have moves of the spirit at a home setting as well, or in a tent or in a cracker barrel or a air port or a old rescue mission.

Do you still believe the gifts of the spirit are active today, like speaking in tounges, cause southern baptist preach they do not, and even have stated that today's tounges are of the devil.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
I think the Lord will let His people and/or church leadership know if someone is doing something with the wrong intent.

Have you noticed that sincere human effort often ushers in the supernatural moving of the Holy Spirit?
Wow.

I'm so glad God has delivered me from this mess. lol

If it originates with human effort, no matter how sincere, it's flesh. It's like scheduling a revival. Something I've never truly understood. Like God is going to just show up and revive a church on some Evangelist's schedule. LOL

Real revival comes spontaneously, without warning. There was a great revival in a Baptist college a few years back. They were in a chapel prayer meeting after a sermon on repentance when suddenly a student was prompted by the Spirit to stand and openly confess all his sins before the entire body gathered. When he did the students began breaking, confessing one to another, weeping, laying prostrate in sobbing tears, the faculty attempted to break it up when they too fell under it's power. Soon the press was called in and the entire college was shut down for a few days while people just wept under the power of the Spirit's power and conviction. I heard that even some of the press corps were saved.

That's revival.

This whole business about scheduling a revival (regardless of denomination) is a sickening mockery of the REAL deal. Maybe if we STOP scheduling revival and seek CHRIST in all His fulness with broken hearts, desiring to be conformed into HIS image and not the image of Pentecost, the Baptists, or whatever... we'll see the real deal again.

Jesus didn't call us to be good Baptists or Pentecostals. In fact, that's part of our problem. It's the Father's sole desire to conform us into the very likeness of Jesus Christ. We have our Pentecostal costume and think that is "holiness". What a cheap substitute... makes me sick. We're called to be conformed into the image of Christ. Anything that identifies us outside of Christ alone is idolatry.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-06-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
There is a time for the quiet.

There is a time for the roar.

What's disagreeable about that?

Why would you do away with one or the other when doing so is completely unbiblical?

Error begets error is so true.

Here is error.
We don't need to raise our voices. We don't have to leap for joy. God knows our heart and before you know it our gatherings are nothing more than feel-good meetings completely void of the POWER of Christ for people who share the same opinion of Christ.
lol

No offense, but I don't think you're getting it.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
Do you still believe the gifts of the spirit are active today, like speaking in tounges, cause southern baptist preach they do not, and even have stated that today's tounges are of the devil.
The Baptists I fellowship believe in the gifts. Sometimes the gifts scare them. In fact... their fear brings a reverence that I rarely see in Pentecostal churches. They know I'm "Spirit filled" and unashamed. I've played the devil's advocate about the gifts and walked a couple of them right into admitting that they are for today. lol

The fellowship I'm associated with essentially agrees with the writings of Wayne Grudem, as outlined in his book, Systematic Theology.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty;
lol, hardly a guilt tactic. Im not smart enough to put together a guilt tactic. ]
It's a guilt tactic when I hear it from the pulpit, such as, "You jump and shout for a football game, why can't you jump and shout for Jesus!!?"

Answer, "I don't jump and shout during a football game, nor for anything else, since about age 7 or 8."

Quote:
Im not smart enough to put together a guilt tactic.
And neither are those who do it from the pulpit consciously inventing a "guilt tactic". It just makes sense to them at the time, that's all!

Quote:
But yes, why wouldn't it be something to get excited about?
Ah yes, even though I'm not demonstrative about a football game (or anything else) I did really buy into the above logic, for years. Therefore, I have run the aisles many times, hopped, jigged around many times, shouted "Jesus" many times, just like the rest of 'em. Whether in the flesh or in the Spirit, does it matter, considering Jesus is good?

Quote:
Its funny you would cry
I'm crying? OK, but don't confuse rhetoric and questioning with crying. Actually, the issue became pretty much resolved when I merely did what everyone else does, whether they admit it or not--find a church ya like. I believe that the shouting type churches are that way due to self-selecting personality. JMO.

Last edited by MarcBee; 07-06-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's revival.
according to you whats to say that was anymore real than those who had a experience in a pentacostal setting.

its the same spirit, your just out to condem any action of those who are under a pentacostal tag.

again baptist have spirtual moves of God, and revival or gospel meeting what ever you want to call it people come into preach the word. that is why they are brought in,. To get a new propsective.

if you want to sit in your seat and worship thats you, i however had shown many verses about singing, praising shouting, clapping and dancing to the Lord.

God inhabits the praises of his people. I dont knock church of christ cause they dont have music instruments but dont turn around and knock on me because we do.

seems like your more interested in playing the blame game, its all over your post,and plus i know your past and what you went through but that doesnt mean you judge everyone in it to be the same way.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
The Baptists I fellowship believe in the gifts. Sometimes the gifts scare them. In fact... their fear brings a reverence that I rarely see in Pentecostal churches. They know I'm "Spirit filled" and unashamed. I've played the devil's advocate about the gifts and walked a couple of them right into admitting that they are for today. lol

The fellowship I'm associated with essentially agrees with the writings of Wayne Grudem, as outlined in his book, Systematic Theology.
any theology needs to be lines up with Gods word of theology, but i am glad that you still believe and practice that. many times over people freak out at the gifts of the spirit exspecially tounges.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
according to you whats to say that was anymore real than those who had a experience in a pentacostal setting.

its the same spirit, your just out to condem any action of those who are under a pentacostal tag.

again baptist have spirtual moves of God, and revival or gospel meeting what ever you want to call it people come into preach the word. that is why they are brought in,. To get a new propsective.

if you want to sit in your seat and worship thats you, i however had shown many verses about singing, praising shouting, clapping and dancing to the Lord.

God inhabits the praises of his people. I dont knock church of christ cause they dont have music instruments but dont turn around and knock on me because we do.

seems like your more interested in playing the blame game, its all over your post,and plus i know your past and what you went through but that doesnt mean you judge everyone in it to be the same way.
Nope. You don't get my point. lol

All you need is Christ. Get that right... and the Spirit will manifest as He wills. And that's beautiful, rather it be dancing, shouting, or a quiet study.

But the prompted services of bang clang Pentecost... and the dead, prideful traditions of some "stiff willed" Baptists are not what we need.

We need to lose our very identity in Christ. Then the rest will naturally fall into place. If I were a Pentecostal pastor... I'd ban the song, "I'm a Pentecostal". lol Who cares what I am. I'm crucified with Christ. Nevertheless I live. Not I, but Christ who lives within me. Don't lift up Pentecost... lift up... Jesus.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-06-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep.

But it's not necessarily a bone to pick with Pentecost. It's the fact that when I was in Pentecost we were more in love with the "pentecostal tag" than Jesus Himself.