Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 AM

UPCI was so strict it was almost Amish: Kings of Leon

Kings of Leon love the life of rock
October 4, 2007

BY BEN EDMONDS
FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

From the Wilson family of the Beach Boys to the battling Gallagher brothers of Oasis, rock 'n' roll has a rich fraternal history. This is especially true of Southern rock. Beginning with the brothers Burnette (Johnny and Dorsey) and Everly (Phil and Don), extending through the Allman Brothers and the bands of the Van Zandt clan (of which Ronnie's Lynyrd Skynyrd was only the first) and down to Chris and Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes.

The latest in this lineage are the three brothers (and, like the Beach Boys, a cousin) from Tennessee who call themselves Kings of Leon. Already chart-toppers in England, their steady march toward the same destination Stateside arrives at the Fillmore Detroit on Thursday, where they'll headline a bill that also includes Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Manchester Orchestra.

The quartet's rootsy, passionate Americana, infused with enough punkish energy to mark them as a modern extension of the Southern rock tradition, attracted critical hosannas in Europe when the debut Kings of Leon album was released in 2003. The band soon found itself opening arena and stadium shows for U2, Oasis and the Strokes. This would have been a daunting proposition for most young bands, but the Kings (as they're known in fan shorthand) embraced it.

"It was a little scary at first," admits bassist Jared Followill, at almost-21 the youngest King. (The others are brothers singer-guitarist Caleb and drummer Nathan, plus cousin Matthew Followill on lead guitar.) "You start out and the coolest thing you can possibly imagine is playing in front of a hundred sweaty kids in some tiny club. That's really cool; we still like doing that. But there's something about playing in front of thousands and thousands of people that can be incredibly inspiring. You should be in it to grow, and reach more and more people."

Like so many Southern rockers before them, Kings of Leon come from a church background where secular music was forbidden. Perhaps escaped that background would be a better description, according to Jared. "It was so strict it was almost Amish," he says of the United Pentecostal Church, in which their father was a traveling preacher.

"It was ridiculous. You couldn't listen to anything but gospel music. No TV, no movies, no pants or makeup for women. Everything changed when our parents divorced and I started going to public school. We went from a completely sheltered world to a completely un-sheltered world. I loved it! It was like coming up for air."

This helps explain the Kings' already legendary fondness for post-show socializing. "We figured it out the other day," the bassist confides, "and the alcohol that's been consumed on this tour would probably fill eight or nine swimming pools. We learned about partying when we toured with the Strokes. We'd show up for sound check and they'd be there with cups of vodka. I'd seen people drink beer at a football game, but this was the middle of the day! We were basically corrupted by the Strokes. Then they stopped drinking, so the joke's on us."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...710040328/1039
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 AM
GET IT RIGHT!

One of the saddest stories I know of is this family and its now grown boys.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

I wonder what true percentage truly represents what they say? Believe me I know a couple but on the other side there are those that are not like that. Wouldn't you agree that bunching everyone together is unfair and ignorant?

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
redeemedcynic84

the sad thing...

is that I would say many who read this article are going to hear of us for the first time...

and most of those people will agree with what he said...
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

You should have highlighted the last paragraph. That is the saddest.

I grieve when people throw out the baby with the bathwater. These young men are going to find out that it wasn't the legalism they need but a transforming relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is obvious they are headed for the same disaster in life that most rock and roll folks have as they live life with no limits and to excess.

I pray that somehow they discover that their heritage was more than Amish like rules and regulations but a relationship with the Creator of the Universe.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post

I grieve when people throw out the baby with the bathwater. These young men are going to find out that it wasn't the legalism they need but a transforming relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is obvious they are headed for the same disaster in life that most rock and roll folks have as they live life with no limits and to excess.

I pray that somehow they discover that their heritage was more than Amish like rules and regulations but a relationship with the Creator of the Universe.
Ditto!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

too badddd, lol the devil deceives folks every day, and these boys are deceived, and drawn of course by the fame, fortune, and whatever, sad story,dt
redeemedcynic84

Quote:

Ya know...

the sad thing is that the rules are part of our heritage... To say they aren't is, well, to be blind to what we've been...

our only heritage should be a relationship with Christ, but we didn't stop there and it hurts young people like these 4 young men...
Registered Member

Quote:

awesome CC....now pick up that guitar and talk to me.

have your pets spayed or neutered
Bob Barker
Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 AM
but made himself of no reputation

Quote:
It would seem that was not the point Daniel wanted to bring emphasis to for the readers of his posts at AFF.
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath [James 1:19]