Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
3-step, doctrine, heritage

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Don't ask.

Re: Do YOU really believe what you were taught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
No need to be sorry!!!!

Timmy can take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. LPW View Post
May I just say, that the fact that people are just now hearing about Timmy's belief system, proves he isn't here to try to mess with people.
No it doesn't! You've never heard of a wolf in sheep's clothing? Waiting patiently for the time to pounce!

J/K. Actually, I do enjoy stirring the pot on occasion. Nothing wrong with provoking some thought, giving you guys a chance to defend the truth, is there? If you have the truth, you have nothing to fear!

And, as I've said before, the admin just has to say the word, and I'm gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherEastman View Post
Because you have a conscience? Or do you?
If the pouncing doesn't bother me, it could be because 1) I don't have a conscience or 2) I'm not wrong. I know I have a conscience. But it could be a selective conscience, I suppose.
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Of course not! Why should it be? OK, if the Bible says it's an abomination to God, the Bible is wrong. The Bible corrected itself (so to speak) on some things, such as mixing fabric types in clothing (or did it?), eating shellfish (I suppose), eating meat offered to idols, animal sacrifice, etc. I think it forgot to correct this one. Either that or left it up to us to fix it ourselves. Times change. There may have been good reason for some laws, in some eras, and if the reasons go away, so should the laws.

IMO.
Homosexuality was forbidden under the Law of Moses and was called an "abomination" along with other things. One purpose of the Law was to produce and maintain a people who would exist for centuries as a unique nation. This meant that those people could not participate or mingle their values and way of life with the nations around them (at least that was the idea).

When the Law was declared to not be a requirement for the Christian believer the Bible wasn't "correcting" itself. It had just become apparent that through the life of Jesus Christ (whose human existence was dependant upon Israel maintining itself) that God was raising up another people- a people from every kindred tribe and tongue.

The fact that a new people was being raised up never negated the moral elements of the Law.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whole Hearted View Post
I cannot for the life of me see how anyone can't see that the Word of God teaches separation and how to dress. I have read all the post and heard the argument, but it is as clear as it can possible be to me that God require us top dress holy, and live a separated life.
I am in complete agreement with you here. But the list you posted earlier I do not agree with entirely, for example:

"Still believe that women must look and dress like women, no pants, cut hair, jewelry of ANY kind, make-up, or ungodly clothing. Men must look and dress like men, no long hair, jewelry, shorts, etc.

No Hollywood, org. sports, etc.

God the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow."

Our gender identifications must be plain, that I believe is a principle for which you can cite Hebrews 13:8. But "pants" are a comparatively modern invention. Associating changing styles and fashions with the unchanging and eternal God just doesn't line up for me. Besides, aren't pantyhose just another type of pants for women? Wouldn't any kind of legging or stocking be considered a compromise with "pants." Are we to keep our women literally barefoot in the kitchen?

And no "jewelry of any kind..."? That would be adding to the Word of God. 1 Peter 3:3 is often cited for a "no jewelry at all" rule, but then we would have to also say, "no apparel at all either." I'm not willing to take things that far.

And while there are obviously very harmful forms of entertainment, to mention "Hollywood and organized sports" in the context of "God the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow" strikes me as being a non sequitur.

You appear to be trying to make the case that it's wrong for a bunch of fat guys who sit at a desk all day to join up together for some softball competition and the needed exercise and social interaction that such things afford. How does this even have any bearing on the eternalness of almighty God?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
Yes, assuming that the Bible is, in fact, 100% correct. (No need to remind me that you think it is. I know! Most everyone here does.)

(BTW, that's not the reason I concluded that it's not 100% correct. It was the many "apparent" contradictions and errors in it. Got tired of blindly following the "party line" of contortions required to explain them away.)

(And BTW, in case anyone's wondering, I'm not gay!)
I spent several years after leaving the ministry where I really was in doubt about the truth of the Bible and its message. I explored atheism and even contributed to some of the Internet Infidels forums.

After a while it occured to me that what I had lost faith in was the Bible that I had been taught to believe in along with the ancillary "Creation Science" stuff that will make an unbeliever out of anyone who pays attention to that stuff.

I have learned that the Bible does indeed stand on its own merits. And I now can say this as a fairly educated biological evolutionist and with the use of many of the literary tools that "modern scholars" have developed for the critical analysis of the Bible and other literature.

For me, I had to learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff. The claims many of my brethren make about the Bible had to be seperated from the claims that the Bible makes for itself.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

I believe everything that I was taught that has scripture to back it up.