Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-12-2022, 09:00 AM
Registered Member

Witnessing to Lost Family Members

How do you all do it? Is there any specific way you have found to work?

My father (the one I've been requesting prayer for in a different thread) has four siblings -- three younger sisters and an older brother. None of his siblings are abiding in the Apostolic truth.

His three sisters all attend a non-denominational church (self-identifying as "Full Gospel") that's led by a preacher who has rejected Apostolic truth. This gentleman has far too many Apostolic family members that has tried to bring him into the fullness of truth, but he flat told my Mom and I that he won't baptize in Jesus' name. On the surface, this preacher is a nice, likable man, but underneath, he seems to be feeding a spirit of distaste for truth. That distasteful spirit has apparently preached itself into the lives of my aunts that call this man their pastor.

My uncle has never been a churchgoer. As long as I can remember, I don't ever remember him going to church anywhere. In saying that, he's a very good man that takes care of his family, always has a job, and would help anyone in need. He just doesn't seem to see the need to have God in his life. I've recently gotten a strong burden for this uncle, his wife, and my cousins, and my wife and I have started pulling for them strong. I'm hoping to get them to church and I pray the Lord deals with them once they're there.

Having said all that, how does one witness to said people?

My mother's family are far more difficult. My uncle and aunt on that side are full of spirits and withhold my mother from seeing my papa. This aunt was raised Pentecostal, but now finds things such as tongues and prophesy as against what the Bible teaches. I have another aunt on my mother's side that rejects church and God altogether.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how they'd tackle witness to such people? I love my family, but it's hard to reach them.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:08 AM
New User

Re: Witnessing to Lost Family Members

You don’t cast pearls before swine.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Actions speak louder than words.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
You don’t cast pearls before swine.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Join internet forums they are in and quote key people from your religion whether or not it has anything to do with their discussion.

Post memes on Facebook with rhyming and alliterative quotes from preachers.

Develop real hobbies to talk to them about so they feel like you think they are a real person and not just a target.

Leave them alone, otherwise.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Fast and pray for them with intercessions in the secret place of the Most High.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 05-22-2022, 12:25 AM
Administrator

By the grace of God, the Lord permitted me to see my entire immediate family, and some extensions, come into the faith after me, all within two years of my conversion, including:

- My Dad
- My Stepdad
- My Mom
- My Maternal Grandmother
- My oldest brother, his girlfriend at the time, and their daughter, and her son from a different relationship
- My oldest brother, his wife, and all five of their children, plus a cousin of theirs who received the Holy Spirit
- One of my cousins

I tell you the truth in Christ, I lie not. I barely witnessed to them at all, in speech or with words. Rather, with conduct openly, and then, and perhaps more importantly, or at least as important as, with much prayer, travail, and (MUCH) fasting, coupled with faith, in private.

Not everyone from the above list is still serving the Lord, and my grandma passed away a few years ago, but the truth really is finding that secret place with God.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 05-26-2022, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

My biological mother has came to my home church, been delivered of spirits, and received the Holy Ghost two different times, and she has turned around and walked away from God.

She currently is convinced (or that's how it appears to be) that she is saved just as she is. She told me that there are more verses in the Bible besides Acts 2:38 that she can be saved by. And, yes, that's true -- we'll be saved by the whole Word of God.

My Momma is very stubborn and strong-willed woman. She loves the lifestyle she is living, but she's tweaked it a little to appease her flesh. I fear she's dabbling in medicines and other substances that could be quite harmful to her in many different ways.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Yesterday my mother told me that she was trying to let go of me and let me be an adult. She said since I've got a Bonus Mom and Ma (my mother-in-law) than she had more things to worry about whether or not she heard from me everyday or before we went to sleep.

Needless to say, such a statement hurt my feelings.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:28 PM
New User

Grow up.