Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

The Ellis Scism book, Northwest Passage, is not only a great book, but it is full of data that has been useful for this project.

The Scism family has been very interested and cooperative in my research.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
The Ellis Scism book, Northwest Passage, is not only a great book, but it is full of data that has been useful for this project.

The Scism family has been very interested and cooperative in my research.
That's a great book about some great people. Love the Scisms.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Frank Bartleman wrote the book "Deity of Christ" in 1926. He discusses the "new issue" in it.

Has anyone read it ?

Bartleman and Morse had a friendship that lasted over 30 years.

I just found an edited copy on google books. Old books should never be edited

Looks like there is at least one Harry Morse quote in the book.

Last edited by Scott Pitta; 01-22-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:35 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Frank Bartleman wrote the book "Deity of Christ" in 1926. He discusses the "new issue" in it.

Has anyone read it ?

Bartleman and Morse had a friendship that lasted over 30 years.

I just found an edited copy on google books. Old books should never be edited

Looks like there is at least one Harry Morse quote in the book.
i read it.

Don't remember Bartleman talking about Harry Morse.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

He visits Morse in 2 different Peniel Missions. Prior to Azusa Street, Barlteman was in Sacramento, not far from Stockton, where Morse was at at the time. Bartleman quotes Morse in the Deity book. But I will not have the full quote until the book arrives.

Bartleman also preached for Morse at the Oakland Downtown Mission.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
He visits Morse in 2 different Peniel Missions. Prior to Azusa Street, Barlteman was in Sacramento, not far from Stockton, where Morse was at at the time. Bartleman quotes Morse in the Deity book. But I will not have the full quote until the book arrives.

Bartleman also preached for Morse at the Oakland Downtown Mission.
What page?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I did not write down the partial quote from the Deity book. It is on google books.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
I did not write down the partial quote from the Deity book. It is on google books.
What was the page number?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

The following is a missionary letter from 1930. It is from Mabel Hensley. She and Carl were, at the time, missionaries to Hong Kong. In those days, they were supported by the PAW.

Here is the letter:

"I was pleased to get your letter but quite surprised to learn you had been In South America. You surely have been able to see a lot of places and do a lot of good In the work you are doing," the message begins. ''..' Added light l thrown on succeeding passages when Miss Coaney explains that salaries paid In this mission are unusually small and that workers often have very little to meet personal needs. "Thank you for the kind offering you sent. We don't get much that ls sent for personal use. And of course if It is needed in the work we would put it In also. For the works the closest to our heart. But It Is nice sometimes to get something marked personal, so if you do need it you can feel free to use it.

"We have had to leave our work In the country and come to the coast In the summer for a while to escape the heat There is an Island Just an hour's ride from Hong Kong where we usually go. It Is so cool and nice. We enjoy It so much. But are always glad to go back. We will go back soon now. "We have opened a new station and have had quite a bit of success for which we are glad and do thank the Lord." It is noteworthy that the foregoing details of mission work and tidings of success come before more spectacular and less encouraging news. Our language teacher was taken by bandits in July and was their hands two months. He was confined In a dark place and not allowed to walk or talk until he can hardly see or talk and can't walk, but Is so happy to be free. Two of those taken with him were shot. Others are almost dead.

The "Reds" are getting more bold all the time In North China. They burned a Bible school and killed fourteen ordained native preachers. While In one province they expect to .burn all church and foreign property and kill all foreigners and Christians. In the province north of us they have captured the capital and are committing terrible crimes. "I have a very tender feeling for our Christians as I feci dark days are ahead for them. "While I am praying that God will take all fear out of our own hearts and give us courage. In spite of all we feel a push In our souls. We feel we want to reach as many as possible with the gospel before It comes. "We would appreciate an Interest in your prayers. Sincerely yours, MABLE HENSLEY.

Not many missionary letters have survived the years. This was was part of an article in the Arizona Daily Star.

Enjoy.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

The Deity of Christ by Frank Bartleman came in the post today. It is a collection of quotes about God, Logos, the Father, etc. by a variety of writers. Some are ancient, like Ignatius. Other are contemporaries of Bartleman, such as Harry Morse. Page 21.

Here is the Harry Morse quote:
Today I see a Christ that is high over all, with all power in Heaven and earth, Mt. 28:18; and with a name that is above every name - Phil. 2:9. People are trying to strip out Lord of his divinity, and also one is about to come in his own name - Jn. 5:34. This being will be the Antichrist - 1 Jn. 2:18.