Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Forget-it

craigslist scam

Anybody here use craigs list to sell items? I live in a small town, and use their service to drive sales at my computer store. Most of the time, I do very well. I put a listing on the Memphis craigslist over the weekend, and an email reply came back thusly:

I am in the process of moving, but desire your item. If you send me your name and address, I will send you a cashier's check for double the amount of your item. Please cash the check and give the excess to my movers, who will be picking up the item and bringing it to me, for their payment.

Anyone suspicious about this, or is it just me? There has been a rash of this stuff in the newspapers lately. It is a variation of the old africa scheme to get your bank accounts to withdraw instead of depositing money to you.

Anyone ever experience this?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Re: craigslist scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsambeW View Post
Anybody here use craigs list to sell items? I live in a small town, and use their service to drive sales at my computer store. Most of the time, I do very well. I put a listing on the Memphis craigslist over the weekend, and an email reply came back thusly:

I am in the process of moving, but desire your item. If you send me your name and address, I will send you a cashier's check for double the amount of your item. Please cash the check and give the excess to my movers, who will be picking up the item and bringing it to me, for their payment.

Anyone suspicious about this, or is it just me? There has been a rash of this stuff in the newspapers lately. It is a variation of the old africa scheme to get your bank accounts to withdraw instead of depositing money to you.

I haven't experienced this but know of it.
Scammers are everywhere!

Caveat Emptor!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Go Dodgers!

It sounds suspicious...particularly since the item is not named either. Why would movers come to pick up a computer part?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Forget-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I sounds suspicious...particularly since the item is not named either. Why would movers come to pick up a computer part?
The email I quoted from was the second email I received from the individual. The first one simply asked if I still had the item for sale.

I still have the item, and tersely responded to the would be con artist that I was going to report him.

BTW, it was a desktop computer, complete with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

The intention of the con artist is to give me a phony or stolen cashier's check, take off with the money and merchandise, leaving me to hold the bag, so to speak, when the bank discovers this is a bad deal.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Pastor's Wife

Quote:

________

Be very careful, I received a check for $2900.00, a real check with the notice that I had won some type of sweepstakes. The check was to be deposited to my account. The scam was for me to send a certain amount of the money back to cover tax on check and other costs. I called the bank, they told me that a lot of this was going on and they (the bank)couldn't even tell these checks from the real ones. They informed me not to deposit the check because they would have to put that amount of money into my account in the next 2 to 3 days even though the check would not have had the time to truly clear. If I had used any of that money or had sent money to cover taxes and other expenses back to the sender of that check then I would be accountable to the bank for every penny. I would have to pay it all back in about 2 weeks when the bank informed me that the check was no good.
I had fair warning from the bank. I knew from the start that something was not right. I did not even apply to any sweepstakes. I also reported the check with the letter that I received with the check to the fraud department; which the bank gave me the number. I have never heard from the sweepstakes people again.

God bless,

Sister Helen Febus
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM
the ultracon

Sniff sniff sniff......... I smell a...........

SCAM
Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Forget-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
Sniff sniff sniff......... I smell a...........

SCAM
You know, two cans of lysol didn't get that smell out of my office?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
the ultracon

I just sold our Hammond church organ to a Luthren church 3 hours away from us, on craigslist. Had another E-mail from a Methodist church also about three hours away.

Next I sold one of extra pianos on Craigslist.

Woked good for me and it's a free listing.

BTW we use a Roland keyboard now that does it all !
Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Forget-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post
I just sold our Hammond church organ to a Luthren church 3 hours away from us, on craigslist. Had another E-mail from a Methodist church also about three hours away.

Next I sold one of extra pianos on Craigslist.

Woked good for me and it's a free listing.

BTW we use a Roland keyboard now that does it all !
I have been pleased with the results, so far. This is the only problem I have encountered, and since I was pretty sure what the deal was, I didn't get burned.

I won't get rich off craigslist, but it is helping me drive business into my store.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

I have been trying to sell a laptop on craigslist and have gotton several of these. I knew it was a scam right away.

Doctrine makes a wonderful servant but a horrible master!