Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

For God to be love, He has to be a Trinity!?!

Quote:
"For the doctrine of the Trinity magnificently expresses the truth that God is love (1Jn 4:8,16). Love isn’t merely an attribute God has. Nor is love merely an activity God does. Love is what God eternally is.

Love can only exist between persons, which is why only a God who eternally exists as a community of persons can be said to be love in and of himself. A God who existed as a single consciousness in the midst of absolute nothingness before creating the world could not be said to be love. Love could not be the essence of this solitary God. This solitary God would need to create other persons in order to begin to love. But this is not the case for the triune God revealed in Jesus Christ.

The Trinity is the only view of God that can claim that God never started loving and that God will never stop loving, for this is the only view of God in which God is intrinsically and eternally loving—whether he decides to create a world outside of himself or not." by Greg Boyd

Wondering how you all would answer this assertion.
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear
Old 01-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Re: For God to be love, He has to be a Trinity!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpeh View Post
Wondering how you all would answer this assertion.
That God was sufficient and complete in himself. He was in need of nothing, including love. Whether they admit it or not they have a God loving himself.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
That God was sufficient and complete in himself. He was in need of nothing, including love. Whether they admit it or not they have a God loving himself.
Do you think that God loneliness was the reason God created in order to have a bride...someone to share his life with?
His banner over me is LOVE.... My soul followeth hard after thee....Love one another with a pure heart fervently. Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

To be a servant of God, it will cost us our total commitment to God, and God alone. His burden must be our burden... Sis Alvear

Last edited by mizpeh; 01-25-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

My answer as always is "show me where the bible actually says that or teaches that."

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
My answer as always is "show me where the bible actually says that or teaches that."
I'm sure John 17:5 would be one of their fave's

Old 01-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Why would a triune God who are complete in their love with each other want to risk creating creatures who disobey and hate one another?

Does this reasoning apply to God's other attributes as well? Is God only just when he displays his justice? Or is he inherently just? And if he is inherently just then does that mean that he needs to somehow show that he is just within himself...therefore he needs to be multipersonal?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would a triune God who are complete in their love with each other want to risk creating creatures who disobey and hate one another?
This would possibly be Boyd's answer to my question. It's not a very satisfying answer.
Quote:
Augustine once prayed, “You have made us for yourself, and our hearts are restless till they find their rest in you.” We all have an unquenchable yearning in our hearts, a yearning for nothing less than to share in God’s own eternally full life. This is why our deepest desires cannot be permanently satisfied by anything in this world. More specifically, the life of God is nothing other than the perfect love that eternally unites the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and this Triune God spoke creation into being with the ultimate goal of inviting humans to share in this life. This is what God created us to long for!
The great Puritan theologian and pastor Jonathan Edwards expressed this concept in a powerful way in his famous work A Dissertation Concerning The End for Which God Created the World. Edwards painted a portrait of the Trinity in which the love and joy of the three divine persons was so full and intense, it simply could not be contained. God’s fullness thus yearned to be expressed and replicated by sharing it with others. So this fullness overflowed, as it were, as God brought forth creation and that mirrored his triune beauty. And the pinnacle of this creation is created beings whose yearnings for God mirrors, in a small way, his yearning for them. But whereas God’s yearning comes out of his fullness, our yearning comes out of emptiness.
It’s a beautiful arrangement. The God of overflowing love longs to pour his love into others, so he created beings that long for his love to be poured into them.
- See more at: http://reknew.org/2014/11/what-we-lo....iV5skQx4.dpuf

Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you think that God loneliness was the reason God created in order to have a bride...someone to share his life with?

I think the analogy of the church being his bride is over emphasized.

There is much more emphasis on the church being his adopted sons and daughters, a reality instead of an analogy.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Why could it ONLY be expressed as a Trinity? If it were a TWINITY the same could be in effect?

But again todays teachers teach small concepts instead of Gods word. I read Gregs book about how he left Oneness years ago. It reconverted me to Oneness all over again.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Why could it ONLY be expressed as a Trinity? If it were a TWINITY the same could be in effect?

But again todays teachers teach small concepts instead of Gods word. I read Gregs book about how he left Oneness years ago. It reconverted me to Oneness all over again.
I've heard this type of argument as a proof for the doctrine of the Trinity a number of times. I don't find it compelling. I was just wondering how others would respond to it.