Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom
Facebook

Notices

The Newsroom FYI: News & Current Events, Political Discussions, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

Re: Starbucks and White Guilt

I know the Starbucks near here are always very busy, especially between 6AM and 9AM. If people are just sitting around, taking up space and not ordering anything, the business has a right to tell them to take a hike.

And if they refuse to do so, the business also has the right to have them removed by the police.

I don't believe this was a racial thing. I believe there's more to the story. I would bet money these guys mouthed off to the Starbucks employee and refused to leave or order anything.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
Aegsm76, you make some good points.

However, with incorporation comes commitment to abide by civil laws. And there are laws against racial discrimination. Now, any business is indeed legally in the right to ask anyone to leave, especially if they are loitering. But what do you do if you ask a couple customers if they'd like to place an order and they explain that they are waiting on someone? That person might be the one buying their lunch or coffee, or whatever.

I've waited for people in coffee shops, restaurants, and book stores so many times. I've waited up to over an hour before... and nobody has ever approached me or seemed to care one bit. I'm wondering why staff at this Starbucks would make an issue of these men? Perhaps if these specific men had a history of just coming in and hanging out, it would be warranted. But I don't believe that was the case here. The man they were meeting seems to indicate that he's arranged to met other people in that very same Starbucks many times in the past without a problem.

Why do you think the staff at this Starbucks chose to call the police and request that these gentlemen be removed?
I will say that when I wait on someone, I almost always (would say always but I cant remember everytime) order something. Even when we are traveling and we stop to use the facilities, I will order something. Just so I do not feel like I am free loading.
I am still amazed that I have seen no interviews with the Starbucks staff, who called the police. It really feels like almost a cover-up. Either by Starbucks or the media.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
I will say that when I wait on someone, I almost always (would say always but I cant remember everytime) order something. Even when we are traveling and we stop to use the facilities, I will order something. Just so I do not feel like I am free loading.
I am still amazed that I have seen no interviews with the Starbucks staff, who called the police. It really feels like almost a cover-up. Either by Starbucks or the media.
I'm getting worried about you guys. lol

I think it is really simple. It is in the best interest of Starbucks to keep things quiet and settle. They don't need, nor want, any negative publicity.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I know the Starbucks near here are always very busy, especially between 6AM and 9AM. If people are just sitting around, taking up space and not ordering anything, the business has a right to tell them to take a hike.

And if they refuse to do so, the business also has the right to have them removed by the police.
True.

Quote:
I don't believe this was a racial thing. I believe there's more to the story. I would bet money these guys mouthed off to the Starbucks employee and refused to leave or order anything.
Why would you assume that?

One customer began recording because they felt uncomfortable with the way the staff approached the two black customers and with the fact that the police were called. There were also remarks being made on the side about discrimination by other customers. When the man finally showed up to meet his associates and began telling the officers that this was discrimination because he meets white people there all the time without incident, you can hear customers agreeing.

It sounds like the entire room was uncomfortable with what they were seeing unfold in front of them.

I don't think it was a conspiracy. I don't automatically think the men were mouthy or did anything to have it coming.

I believe a Starbuck's employee just went a little off the deep end with their bigotry. That's one employee, in one Starbucks, out of roughly 25,000 Starbuck's stores. What we see here is the bad press one bigoted manager can bring.

Moral of the story: If at all possible, don't promote racists to management.

Last edited by Aquila; 05-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

I'm willing to bet that a number of white people have already videoed their waiting in that very same Starbucks for far longer than the two black men, without incident. lol
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

Here's another racist. This woman goes nuts on two soldiers for parking in a handicapped spot.

Why do racists always look so inbred? lol

And why do they turn around and have to act like it?

Old 05-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would you assume that?
Because I've personally witnessed it before.

Quote:
It sounds like the entire room was uncomfortable with what they were seeing unfold in front of them.
I'm sure that in Philly there are enough snowflakes and bleeding hearts that people automatically assumed it was racism.

Quote:
I believe a Starbuck's employee just went a little off the deep end with their bigotry. That's one employee, in one Starbucks, out of roughly 25,000 Starbuck's stores. What we see here is the bad press one bigoted manager can bring.

Moral of the story: If at all possible, don't promote racists to management.
Why are you assuming the employee or manager is bigoted or racist? I have yet to read or hear any statement from either person with their side of the story.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm getting worried about you guys. lol

I think it is really simple. It is in the best interest of Starbucks to keep things quiet and settle. They don't need, nor want, any negative publicity.
The Starbucks CEO is a bleeding heart liberal. He doesn't care whether his employees acted right or did the right thing. You're right that he doesn't want any negative publicity.

Speaking of settling: there was a settlement announced today in which the two men settled for $1 each and the promise by Starbucks' CEO to give $200,000 to establish a youth program for young entrepreneurs.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I had a client, who was black, call me asking why he hadn't received his refund check yet. Per policy, after a certain time frame we can reissue a check once the client has signed a bond of indemnity. The dude went off about how I was racist and making him sign it because he was black. Claimed I was implying that he was dishonest or some criminal. Nothing I said could change his mind. It was ridiculous. Standard procedure for everyone, but this guy was adamant that I was singling him out.

smh
Old 05-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Because I've personally witnessed it before.
I think we all have. But what makes you think these two gentleman did that?

Quote:
I'm sure that in Philly there are enough snowflakes and bleeding hearts that people automatically assumed it was racism.
They were present, listening to what was being said, watched it all unfold, started recording it, and felt like it was rather discriminatory. They aren't snowflakes, they're witnesses.

Quote:
Why are you assuming the employee or manager is bigoted or racist? I have yet to read or hear any statement from either person with their side of the story.
And Starbucks will ensure that you don't... because it's obviously pretty bad.