Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

Randy and Paula White finally fork over promised home

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/aug...ers-on-promis/

Quote:
Without Walls Church Finally Delivers On Promise Of Home
By BAIRD HELGESON and MICHELLE BEARDEN, The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 16, 2007

TAMPA - After five years of waiting, LaShonda Dupree is finally living in a home she believes she won in a contest sponsored by Without Walls International Church.

Dupree said Wednesday that she closed on the Riverview home last week and moved in over the weekend with her four children. 'Even though it didn't first happen the way I thought, I am thankful that it finally worked out,' said Dupree, 25.

The four-bedroom, two-bathroom home was built in 2004 on a small lake in the Panther Trace subdivision. Dupree loves the two-car garage, the screened lanai and the nearby clubhouse and pool.

The church paid about $200,000 for the home, said Dupree, who will pay insurance and taxes on the property. This year's tax bill came to $2,394, according to the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser's Office.

'We were happy that we could do this for LaShonda and that she is pleased with her new home,' the church said in a statement through its public relations company.

The church declined further comment, including whether it is holding a mortgage on the house or purchased it outright.

In November 2002, Dupree won the top prize in an essay-writing contest that asked participants how they would use what they learned in a church-sponsored class on financial responsibility.

In announcing the winner, Pastors Randy and Paula White congratulated Dupree on her new home, a $100,000 furnished house near Temple Terrace. The event and tour of the home with Dupree and her children was taped and repeatedly broadcast on a Christian television network. During the tour, Paula White asked Dupree's daughters, 'Whose room is this?' 'Who's going to get the bunk bed?'

But Dupree never got the house. The contest fliers specified that the winner would receive a down payment for the home. Dupree said she assumed the church decided to give her the home because church leaders had asked her to apply for a mortgage and she was declined.

Dupree kept quiet about the situation until late May, when The Tampa Tribune wrote about financial troubles and lawsuits at the $40 million-a-year megachurch. The stories caught fire on the Tribune's editorial pages and on online forums about Without Walls. Critics lambasted the Whites' lavish lifestyle while Dupree and her children remained in a rental home in Brandon.

At the time, Randy White issued a statement though a public relations company that said the giveaway did not turn out as he had hoped. 'We tried to do a good thing, and it backfired,' the statement said.

White contacted Dupree almost immediately after the story ran and wanted to fix the situation, she said.

He got Dupree in touch with a real estate agent, and they began to search the Brandon area for a home. When Dupree found the salmon-colored home in Riverview, she knew it would be perfect. The church paid for the inspections, a warranty and an attorney she chose, Dupree said. 'It was pretty cool,' she said.

Dupree has no hard feelings toward the Whites or Without Walls. 'I am satisfied with the outcome. They were really very cooperative,' she said.

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Bro. Y, I'll never forget...

hehehe... it's funny how bad press inspires people....

"You don't need a license to preach, or teach, or win souls." RonB

"In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Never tell a young person that anything cannot be done. God may have been waiting centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing. ~ John Andrew Holmes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I wonder how much they really give back to the community anywar.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Just another knob of glob on the spit and shine of "selling" Jesus..

Sad...

Oh Yeah..."Money Cometh"....

still sad..
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

What I find kinda funny is that the church has hired a Public Relations company...Isn't the job of the Church Public Relations?
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

The obvious end result of tv ministry....................................

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon blues View Post
The obvious end result of tv ministry....................................
unfair....apostolics would do much better!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Starbucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
unfair....apostolics would do much better!
....and that is based on?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

I saw Paula on TBN one Sunday morning . . . turned her off after a few minutes though. She was at some large conference and the praise band was still singing. There was a guy leading the worship that she couldn't keep her hands off of. Kept walking up to him and putting her arm around his waist, rubbing his back. Seemed a little too comfortable and touchy with the guy for being a married lady.

'Bout time they made good on their contest.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:14 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

That ole gal hollering about prosperity all the time bothers me.