Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Oh consistency, thou art a jewel!

Quote:
We wholeheartedly disapprove of our people indulging in any activities which are not conducive to good Christianity and Godly living, such as theaters, dances, mixed bathing, women cutting their hair, make-up, amusements, and unwholesome radio programs and music.

Furthermore, because of the display of all these evils on television, we disapprove of any of our people having television sets in their homes. We admonish all of our people to refrain from any of these practices in the interest of spiritual progress and the soon coming of the Lord for His church."
Several questions...

1. They disapprove of unwholesome radio programs and music yet then turn around and disapprove of the entire medium of television carte blanch. Why? Why are people found capable of judging between wholesome radio and not wholesome TV?

2. They disapprove of several different activities... But.. although they disapprove of dancing... would there be a problem with a preacher preaching to those lost sinners at a dance? Although they disapprove of "amusements" would they have a problem with a preacher preaching to those lost sinners at the amusement park? Yet... although they disapprove of TV they also disapprove of a preacher preaching to those lost sinners watching the TV?

Oh consistency, thou art a jewel! (G.T. Haywood)
Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM
GET IT RIGHT!

The "amusement" part is what always amuses me.

Most churches/pastors allow their people to go to amusement parks.

Another thing I find amusing is the theater issue. Although theaters in general are still pretty much taboo (with rising numbers of exceptions), for some reason theaters at an amusement park or other public place of "entertainment" are OK. IMAX is one such example. Museums, for example, often include an IMAX and what they show isn't always for "educational" purposes.

Consistency is like that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow....
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRev View Post

Another thing I find amusing is the theater issue. Although theaters in general are still pretty much taboo (with rising numbers of exceptions), for some reason theaters at an amusement park or other public place of "entertainment" are OK. IMAX is one such example. Museums, for example, often include an IMAX and what they show isn't always for "educational" purposes.

I know of a lady that takes her grandkids to the IMAX (including to see Spiderman) but would flip her wig royally if the same kids went to see the same movie at a theater.

Maybe the screen needs to be 10 stories tall before it is okay?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, the IMAX is fine. Just don't walk right down the hall to the "Regular" theater, or you'll be a SINNER *hiss*.

3D is what sets it apart. Only 2D films are truly sinful. (Note: I don't really know if there is such a thing as a "2D" film, or what that actually means, so don't hang me by my toes.)

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM
GET IT RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Yes, the IMAX is fine. Just don't walk right down the hall to the "Regular" theater, or you'll be a SINNER *hiss*.

3D is what sets it apart. Only 2D films are truly sinful.
LOLROTF!

Oh boy...where can I find an IMAX schedule?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post

3D is what sets it apart. Only 2D films are truly sinful. (Note: I don't really know if there is such a thing as a "2D" film, or what that actually means, so don't hang me by my toes.)
LOL... Very few films are 3-D... all others are 2 D.

3D just means 3 dimensional. (ie... the visual image has height, width and depth (or so it appears because it looks like you see depth like in real life)

2D just means 2 dimensional. (ie the visual image only has height and width and no extraodinary depth)

You were exactly right.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

finding consistancy in humanity is a failing proposition.

it aint gonna happen.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
LOLROTF!

Oh boy...where can I find an IMAX schedule?
Wanna hear something FUNNY? (Going to tell you anyway....)

Independent, very strict church in LA...takes their youth group on a trip to Houston...while there, they go see Titanic, permission granted because the pastor was told OR the pastor's wife thought OR the pastor's wife thought she was told (however it happened) that it was a "documentary." ROFL In a regular theater. With the sketching scene and all. No one walked out, btw.

To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—

Old 10-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
finding consistency in humanity is a failing proposition.

it aint gonna happen.
One would expect to have some fleeting chance of finding it in those who tout themselves as God's appointed & anointed.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
LOL... Very few films are 3-D... all others are 2 D.

3D just means 3 dimensional. (ie... the visual image has height, width and depth (or so it appears because it looks like you see depth like in real life)

2D just means 2 dimensional. (ie the visual image only has height and width and no extraodinary depth)

You were exactly right.
Oh, okay. Right by accident. I like it when that happens.