Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Re: Desserts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther View Post
lol Round shapes and rectangle don't work to well together.

But you can buy those in a box now too. Although I have never tried them yet.
Ok, I made this recipe this morning. If you use a deep dish pie shell you will have to much pie shell.

It is very similiar to a pecan pie except the pie shell is in the middle instead of the bottom. It was really sticky. Taste like a pecan pie to me.

Makes a lot and will go further than a slice of pie would.
Painful moments, TRUST GOD.
Every moment, THANK GOD.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Not riding the train

For you, Renda! I was reading that the outside is a wrapper of some type. I thought it was chocolate. I was thinking you could line a muffin tin with a layer of melted chocolate, freeze that and use them for the cups.

Coconut Cherry Petits Gateaux:

Makes 8 to 10

1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 coconut milk or whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
3 tablespoons raw pistachio seeds, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350F and position a rack in the center. Lightly spray or butter muffin tins or cupcake molds. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or with hand held beaters) whisk together the sugar and the eggs on medium speed for 5 minutes. With the machine running on low speed, add the coconut milk, melted butter and coconut extract. Beat for a minute to incorporate all the ingredients thoroughly. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth. Stop the machine and fold in the cherries with a spatula. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins and sprinkle with the chopped pumpkin seeds. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clear.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 06-30-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
My Family!

Thanks!

I thought it was chocolate too!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Thanks!

I thought it was chocolate too!
Maybe you will like this one better.

Cherry Bakewell Tartelettes:

Notes: The only change I made to the recipe given by our hostesses was to prebake the tart shells before filling them with jam and frangipane. The high ratios of butter in both the crust and filling can hinder the crust from baking all the way through while your filling overcooks.

Makes ten 3-inch tartelettes.

Sweet shortcrust pastry:

8oz all purpose flour
1oz sugar
˝ tsp salt
4oz unsalted butter, cold (frozen is better)
2 egg yolks
˝ tsp almond extract (optional)
1-2 Tbsp cold water

Frangipane:

4.5oz unsalted butter, softened
4.5oz icing sugar
3 eggs
˝ tsp almond extract
4.5oz ground almonds (or other nut of your choice)
1oz all purpose flour

Jam or preserve of your choice

Prepare the dough:

Sift together flour, sugar and salt. Grate butter into the flour mixture, using the large hole-side of a box grater. Using your finger tips only, and working very quickly, rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Set aside.Lightly beat the egg yolks with the almond extract (if using) and quickly mix into the flour mixture. Keep mixing while dribbling in the water, only adding enough to form a cohesive and slightly sticky dough.
Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

Prepare the frangipane:

Cream butter and sugar together for about a minute or until the mixture is primrose in colour and very fluffy. Scrape down the side of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. The batter may appear to curdle. In the words of Douglas Adams: Don’t panic. Really. It’ll be fine. After all three are in, pour in the almond extract and mix for about another 30 seconds and scrape down the sides again. With the beaters on, spoon in the ground nuts and the flour. Mix well. The mixture will be soft, keep its slightly curdled look (mostly from the almonds) and retain its pallid yellow colour.

Assemble the tartelettes:

Place the chilled dough disc on a lightly floured surface. If it's overly cold, you will need to let it become acclimatised for about 15 minutes before you roll it out. Flour the rolling pin and roll the pastry to 1/4” thickness, by rolling in one direction only (start from the centre and roll away from you), and turning the disc a quarter turn after each roll. When the pastry is to the desired size and thickness, transfer it to the tart pans, press in and trim the excess dough. Patch any holes, fissures or tears with trimmed bits. Place the tarts on a baking sheet line with parchment paper and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F. Position a rack in the center of the oven.

Remove shell from freezer, spread as even a layer as you can of jam onto the pastry base. Top with frangipane, spreading to cover the entire surface of the tart. Smooth the top and pop into the oven for 30 minutes. Five minutes before the tart is done, the top will be poofy and brownish.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Not riding the train

Mousse and Raspberry Tartelettes:

For the tart shells:

1 stick butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup powdered sugar, unsifted
1 large egg
1 1 /2 cups flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch (makes for a lighter crumb)
pinch of salt

For the almond cream:

1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup ground almonds
2 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream

Pistachio Cream Cheese Mousse:

200 ml heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cups pistachios, ground

2 cups fresh raspberries

Prepare the tart shells:

In a mixer, whip together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until incorporated. Add the flour, cornstarch and salt and mix briefly. Dump the whole mixture onto a lightly floured board and gather the dough into a smooth ball. Do not work the dough while in the mixer or it will toughen it up. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

When the dough is nice and cold, roll it out on a lightly floured board or in between the sheets of plastic. You will need half the amount of dough to make the tartelettes. The other half can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen, well wrapped for up to 3 months. Cut out eight rounds with a 3-inch pastry ring. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.

Prepare the almond cream:

Place the butter, sugar, almond powder, and the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until smooth (can also be done in a food processor). Add the cream but stir it in carefully instead of whisking it (you do not want to emulsify it or it will rise while baking). Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Place the 8 baked rounds of dough in eight 3-inch pastry rings, divide the cream evenly among the rings and bake 20 minutes at 350F. Let cool.

Prepare the mousse:

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream to medium stiff peaks and reserve it in the refrigerator while you prepare the mousse.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the Cream Cheese and sugar with a spatula (really no need to put your mixer to use on that one). Add the ground pistachios and mix thoroughly until incorporated.

Carefully fold the reserved whipped cream into the Cream Cheese base by placing your spatula in the center of the bowl, scooping the bottom over the top. Give your bowl a 45 degree turn and repeat until the batter is smooth.

Assemble the tarts:

Place the mousse in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe a large dollop of mousse right in the center of the tartelettes, leaving a small border all around. Place raspberries all around the mousse. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 AM
My Family!

Oh so pretty!

Thanks.....I can see making these for a shower or party!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Oh so pretty!

Thanks.....I can see making these for a shower or party!
Me too - IF - I was in the mood!

I made my husband a Lemon Merique pie this past weekend. Totally have to be in the mood for that. I hate standing there stirring and stirring the pudding until it's done. That is soooooo boring!!!