Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 10-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Ginsburg Was Right

The article linked shows just what is happening in Texas as a result of their new voter laws. Read the article. None of those things should be happening!

It is obviously so skewed... "college identification cards are not valid but a hunting license is valid identification for voting purposes."

What about the elderly? Their driver licenses are not valid if they are more than 60 days expired.

The Texas law is burdensome, skewed and appears to be targetted to suppress the votes of demographics that would normally vote for Democrats.

"Voting experts say that people willing to speak out about voting troubles make up only a small percentage of the total number of Texans being disenfranchised. The majority may simply give up and go home. As Ginsburg predicted, the law “risks denying the right to vote to hundreds of thousands.""

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592
Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Re: Ginsburg Was Right

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
What about the elderly? Their driver licenses are not valid if they are more than 60 days expired.
Guess what else happens in TX when your driver's license is more than 60 days expired and you get pulled over? You go to jail for driving with an expired driver's license!

Oh the humanity!
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The article linked shows just what is happening in Texas as a result of their new voter laws. Read the article. None of those things should be happening!

It is obviously so skewed... "college identification cards are not valid but a hunting license is valid identification for voting purposes."

The Texas law is burdensome, skewed and appears to be targetted to suppress the votes of demographics that would normally vote for Democrats.

"Voting experts say that people willing to speak out about voting troubles make up only a small percentage of the total number of Texans being disenfranchised. The majority may simply give up and go home. As Ginsburg predicted, the law “risks denying the right to vote to hundreds of thousands.""

Can one obtain a passport or cash a check with an expired license?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Mama to four little angels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Can one obtain a passport or cash a check with an expired license?
Can't even buy cigarettes with an expired license.....

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 10-31-2014, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Documents and ID's that cost money should not be required to vote period. The moment there is a cost involved it is wrong.

Now that said I'm all for requiring valid ID in order to vote but there needs to be at least 1 form of ID that can be presented that doesn't have a cost associated with it or the documents required to get it. Once that is managed you'll even have democrats on board with requiring ID to vote.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
Documents and ID's that cost money should not be required to vote period. The moment there is a cost involved it is wrong.

Now that said I'm all for requiring valid ID in order to vote but there needs to be at least 1 form of ID that can be presented that doesn't have a cost associated with it or the documents required to get it. Once that is managed you'll even have democrats on board with requiring ID to vote.
We could go to voter ID cards with a photo ID like other countries already have.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We could go to voter ID cards with a photo ID like other countries already have.
I'll second that as long as those cards are free and as long as the documents needed to obtain those cards are free. I'm sure we can all agree that any additional cost is more prohibitive to the really poor and fixed income people (which statistically speaking are typically more likely to vote democrat).

Last edited by jfrog; 11-01-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
I'll second that as long as those cards are free and as long as the documents needed to obtain those cards are free. I'm sure we can all agree that any additional cost is more prohibitive to the really poor and fixed income people (which statistically speaking are typically more likely to vote democrat).
Are you against someone who is registering to vote having to present a birth certificate as proof of identity even if it means they have to pay $15 to obtain a copy?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you against someone who is registering to vote having to present a birth certificate as proof of identity even if it means they have to pay $15 to obtain a copy?
Yes. Take the cost away. 15 dollars to a poor man may be everything he has or worse, more than he can afford. 15 dollars to a more wealthy man means he eats fast food instead of at the fancy steakhouse 1 night. I'm sure you can find a solution that does away with the 15 dollar cost while preserving the requirement of presenting a birth certificate. I'm sure it won't be that hard to find some solution for this

By the way, it's basically a poll tax if you require money or documents that cost money or anything that costs money to be able to vote. I disagree with poll taxes don't you?

Last edited by jfrog; 11-02-2014 at 01:54 AM.