Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

No tithe outside of Israel?

It is claimed by many that the Biblically commanded tithe was ONLY obligatory upon Israelites living in the land of Israel. Is this correct? Can it be proven from the Bible?

A factoid to keep in mind: the rabbis taught that Israelites living outside Israel were required to pay the "tithe for the poor".

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Re: No tithe outside of Israel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
It is claimed by many that the Biblically commanded tithe was ONLY obligatory upon Israelites living in the land of Israel. Is this correct? Can it be proven from the Bible?

A factoid to keep in mind: the rabbis taught that Israelites living outside Israel were required to pay the "tithe for the poor".

I believe it can by examining context and sticking with obeying the scripture as written. It a law for Gods people at that time under Gods government living in a land that God had blessed them with and God had greatly blessed the land as well.No scripture comes to mind that deals with tithing to God outside the borders of Israel.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Covenant Apostolic

where is Tithesmaster when you need him?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

No one outside of the commonwealth of Israel needed to tithe, or even keep the feasts. Anyone who wanted to sojourn among the people and eat of the passover needed to be circumcised. Then after circumcision they were considered proselytes and then required to keep Torah. God Fearers also known as Noahides weren't required to observe all the laws of Israel.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It is claimed by many that the Biblically commanded tithe was ONLY obligatory upon Israelites living in the land of Israel.

Is this correct?

I believe so.

Can it be proven from the Bible?

Let me take a crack at it. Chapter 12 of Deuteronomy,
verse one says . . .

Bible, King James Version

Deut.12 Verses 1

[1] These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.

What are these?

They are statutes (laws).

Where are they to observe or do these laws?

In the land.

These statutes were to be observed in the land that God had given them. After verse one, Moses begins to list the statutes that they are to follow in the land. In verse six we encounter the tithe.

Deut.12 Verses 6

[6] And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:

Does this mean that the Israelites were to ONLY observe the statutes that follow verse one in the land?

Well . . . it appears that way to me. If God had wanted them to follow the statutes wherever they happened to be, why would He say to observe to do them "in the land"?

What do you think Esaias?

Could you support this "factoid" with scripture, or even otherwise?

I am not aware of any scripture that supports this. Please enlighten me.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Im surprised both Esaias and EB believe this. I mistakenly assumed you both taught tithing in the Churches.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Let me take a crack at it. Chapter 12 of Deuteronomy,
verse one says . . .

Deut.12 Verses 1

[1] These are the statutes and judgments, which ye shall observe to do in the land, which the LORD God of thy fathers giveth thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.

What are these?

They are statutes (laws).

Where are they to observe or do these laws?

In the land.

These statutes were to be observed in the land that God had given them. After verse one, Moses begins to list the statutes that they are to follow in the land. In verse six we encounter the tithe.

Deut.12 Verses 6

[6] And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:

Does this mean that the Israelites were to ONLY observe the statutes that follow verse one in the land?

Well . . . it appears that way to me. If God had wanted them to follow the statutes wherever they happened to be, why would He say to observe to do them "in the land"?

What do you think Esaias?
I think this is a weak and insufficient argument in proof of tithing being limited to the land of Israel. Whether tithing is or is not limited to the land of Israel, the argument you presented does not prove it.

The reason is your proof proves too much. The statutes and judgments which were to be done in the land include for example the following:

Not eating blood (ch 12 v 16, 23-25)
Avoiding syncretism and paganism (v 30-31)
Not altering the Law (v 32)
Not following false prophets (ch 13 v 1-4)
Not eating unclean meats (ch 14)
Alms (ch 15 v 7-8)
Not bribing judges (ch 16 v 19)
Not setting up idols (ch 16 v 22)
Not practicing occultism (ch 18 v 10-12)
Not cross dressing (ch 22 v 5)

And many more. Yet, if your reasoning were correct, Israelites could violate all these rules (and more) as long as they were outside the land of Israel.

Therefore, the tithe being limited to that which was produced within the land of Israel would have to rest on some other basis than God saying "these are the things you will do in the land I give you".

The phrase "which you shall observe to do in the land" is not restrictive, anymore than a parent telling a child "in THIS house you will show good manners" is an authorization for a child to be ill-mannered at the neighbor's house. Which it would be if it were merely restrictive. Hope that makes sense.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-25-2018, 04:54 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

It is undeniable that God commanded the tithe to only be PAID in Jerusalem. There is no disputing that. But the question is "Are agricultural products of Israelites, sourced outside the land of Canaan, subject to being tithed?" If they were, they would of course still have to be paid in Jerusalem. I'm just trying to identify the actual Bible proof that ONLY agricultural produce from Canaan was to be tithed.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Im surprised both Esaias and EB believe this. I mistakenly assumed you both taught tithing in the Churches.
I'm surprised you are surprised.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
It is undeniable that God commanded the tithe to only be PAID in Jerusalem. There is no disputing that. But the question is "Are agricultural products of Israelites, sourced outside the land of Canaan, subject to being tithed?" If they were, they would of course still have to be paid in Jerusalem. I'm just trying to identify the actual Bible proof that ONLY agricultural produce from Canaan was to be tithed.
I believe I have the answer, which I will present in a little while after I get my thoughts laid out coherently. It involves something that until yesterday I've never before seen mentioned in tithe discussions, even though its staring us all in the face.