Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM

Simple Living

Not exactly preping, simple living for us is using what we have or what we can easily get locally... It's repurposing instead of throwing away... some examples to start...

We now use only soap and shampoo bars instead of body wash, bubble bath, shampoo and conditioner, etc. No chemicals, no plastics, save tons of money.

We do not buy food in plastic jars. Mayo, ketchup, salad dressings... all in glass and we reuse the galss jars for all kinds of things. The latest is a board I screwed a bunch of lids to and then mounted as a shelf (with the lids on the bottom)in the shop. I fill the jars with nails, screws, staples, etc. that are left over from projects, then twist them into the lids. I can see what's in there and it's easy to sort and access all the little stuff.

I have started buying all clothing second hand except underclothes and shoes.

Anybody else have something they are doing to live more simply?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned

Re: Simple Living

I started refilling those used mayo jars with homemade mayo a couple years ago, and never went back! What they sell you now, Hellman's et al is pure yack, and (unfortunately) all one needs to make mayo easily is an "immersion blender," which makes a rather tedious job done by hand into one that takes seconds--but a good old fashioned hand-crank blender works, too! Just a little slower.

I have also made my own colloidal silver generator, and have not needed antibiotics for anything for about five years, now. Instructions available on the web; it is essentially putting two silver electrodes in water.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Not exactly preping...
Ha! And this is the very best kind of "prepping," imo--immunity.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Funny on the soap, as (miss misfit, lol) make the laundry detergent from "scratch?"....

Yes, most of our outer clothes are thrift

We use the old (but good) 5gallon water refill jugs on the old (but good) porcelain holder.
We have a rain systern for all else (sometimes good, sometimes not good, but always keeps us grateful of good water on tap lol)

My dad used a shelf like that, with mason jars in our cellar.

Good post btw... peace
Old 10-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
I started refilling those used mayo jars with homemade mayo a couple years ago, and never went back! What they sell you now, Hellman's et al is pure yack, and (unfortunately) all one needs to make mayo easily is an "immersion blender," which makes a rather tedious job done by hand into one that takes seconds--but a good old fashioned hand-crank blender works, too! Just a little slower.

I have also made my own colloidal silver generator, and have not needed antibiotics for anything for about five years, now. Instructions available on the web; it is essentially putting two silver electrodes in water.
I've made "colloidal silver" it's 2 or 3 yrs old. Probably no good now.
Do you take it internally? I was going to, but then I read where it turns some peoples skin gray. So have been afraid to take it.

I don't like store bought mayo, and have made my own before. Care to share your reciepe?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee819 View Post
I've made "colloidal silver" it's 2 or 3 yrs old. Probably no good now.
Do you take it internally? I was going to, but then I read where it turns some peoples skin gray. So have been afraid to take it.

I don't like store bought mayo, and have made my own before. Care to share your reciepe?
Unfortunately, our friend BByrd has been banned from the forum, and I kinda miss him, even though he was sometimes hard to follow.

As far as the mayo recipe, my mom always made homemade mayo, and I never knew what storebought mayo tasted like until I was an adult! I'll have to ask her for the recipe.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I do many things to live simply. There are many reasons for this, frugality is one. It is also good for the environment.

Also the system we live under, I think keeps us oppressed. If people learned to live more simply, we may not have as many things but we also would probably have more freedom, which I think is very important.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I do many things to live simply. There are many reasons for this, frugality is one. It is also good for the environment.

Also the system we live under, I think keeps us oppressed. If people learned to live more simply, we may not have as many things but we also would probably have more freedom, which I think is very important.
OH, I so agree! If people would learn to live simply, they at least would have the skills to know how to make it thru hard times. Even if they don't have things they like, saved up. But to me, living simply, includes gardening and canning and chickens. I live at the edge of town with 1 AC, but would love to be more out in the country with about 5AC. Also I would love to have one of those dwarf cows.

My dad, always said, "If a person had a garden, cow and chickens, that was half of their living." I believe he was right. Our problem today, is getting feed that's not got GMO's in it.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

We live pretty simple. We raise chickens, pigs, rabbits, goats, cows, & turkeys. I make almost all our food from scratch, do our own butchering, have a big garden, & i can like crazy. We also have horses, but we don't eat them...lol

Last edited by JRK; 10-10-2013 at 08:48 AM.