Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Yeshua is God

Re: Tithing…Is it a command?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Badejo View Post
I'm a bi vocational pastor. And it is hard. Ministry is hard. But I do it because I minister to meet peoples needs not for them to meet mine. Are there times I wish I was a f/t salaried pastor? I'm not going to lie, yes there are. But overall I am glad that I have never been a financial burden to any church. I have always preached free, and I believe God has blessed me abundantly. I have very nice temporal things and live well. And I'm not offended that I have to work.

I dont preach or pastor because I need a job. I do it because I want to see people saved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esphes45 View Post
God Bless You.
Hey I have done exactly the same for over 30 years, don't I get the same words?
or do I get a God curse you. you stink?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by good samaritan View Post

After he got through to the saints that their pastor was wrong; how do you think that is going to affect the unity that saint will have where they go in future? After they have been convinced their previous pastor was a greedy lying preacher.
Personally I would respect a Pastor 100 times more that can acknowledge the error of their ways. I think there are some pastors who see their mistakes but are too afraid that if they change the people will leave them.

They are afraid of the people more than God.
Philippians 2:12 - ...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith ...
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
A lot of people want to give to support the church needs as well as support a full time Pastor.

They don't do it out of fear nor because they hear weekly sermons on tithing.
Nor should they. Giving is a principle inherent with receiving the Spirit of the Lord, and wanting the kingdom of God to prosper. But being told you must pay a certain percentage or "go to hell" (as I've heard it taught in so many words)... this goes completely against the grain of the principle of the NT giving!

Teach giving! Teach giving as the Lord has prospered you, teach that giving doesn't just consist of dollars and cents... and see what the Lord will be able to do!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I want to speak in here as a bi-vocational pastor in defense of other pastors. There is a bad trend of preachers running other preachers down. I hear all the judgments passed against brothers In the Lord. Preachers are hard on other preachers and in the end we hurt the work of God. I read on another thread someone put that he was trying to reach the saints of churches to reveal the error of their tithe teaching pastor.

After he got through to the saints that their pastor was wrong; how do you think that is going to affect the unity that saint will have where they go in future? After they have been convinced their previous pastor was a greedy lying preacher. People need to stop tearing one another down. If you choose to believe in tithing or not tithing you have that choice. If a pastor chooses to teach or not teach tithing that is his choice. God placed him their no doubt and the pastor will be responsible for his actions.

I do think the ministry should receive compensation for their labor. Many people run preachers down over money and they don't know anything about the individual and the time and energies he has invested. There is an old saying you get what you pay for. If a church congregation doesn't feel to reward the ministry employed with them then they can't say too much about his lack of time to take care of the church's needs.

We talked on another thread about an associate pastor and his hardships and by the description given I could relate to the hardships. When I mentioned my similar financial situations they remarked that my sacrifices were appropriate for a pastor. Is sacrificial giving only for pastors or is it for all born again believers. Do we inherently give sacrificially, or do we learn through teaching and by others example.

Some make it sound like they hate their pastor and don't want to see him prosper any for the labor he does. What do you think God thinks about this attitude? If the church body doesn't have unity, is against the leadership, and doesn't have a desire to reward those who labor within it then they can't count on being a successful church. Tithing or non-tithing if you despise leadership you are going to miss out with God.

Hope all here feel that their pastor deserves more because if not maybe you should find leadership you will appreciate.
I am against legislated tithing, but I am all FOR giving. Giving as the Lord has prospered you may be that you are able to give 50% of your earnings! Or it may be that you have fallen on hard times, as the widow Jesus spoke of who gave her last mite. Giving should not be measured by "amount" but by attitude.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
too. Even though we might disagree on tithing.
Philippians 2:12 - ...Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

Ephesians 4:5 - One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism

1 Corinthians 1:10 - Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith ...

Last edited by Esphes45; 09-23-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:34 PM

For the record, our family stopped "tithing" several years ago after prayerfully studying the subject out, and realizing that GIVING was the message sown throughout the NT writings. So, we began to give generously, in many ways, more than 10% would ever count, because we donate our time, our help, and certainly our dollars. There have been many family and friends who were in need who we sent $$ to anonymously because we didn't want them to feel beholden to us, and because we just wanted to be a blessing. We give to local charities, and to people in the community going through tough times. We are part of a home fellowship, and all who are part of our fellowship do the same thing. We all help those around us in need, and certainly we help each other too. Many times I have fed families in our fellowship because they weren't able to eat decently. I give much of my garden produce away, and my house is open to any kid in the neighborhood who needs a meal. It is a rare occasion when our family has a meal without another child present who has no mother to cook healthy meals for them.

You see... giving is an attitude, and a way of life... and it is not a mandated duty, but a blessing to be a part of the kingdom of the Lord, helping others wherever and however we can.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Yeshua is God

Quote:
too. Even though we might disagree on tithing.
well you surprise me,
I wasn't expecting that response from you
you are a decent person.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Personally I would respect a Pastor 100 times more that can acknowledge the error of their ways. I think there are some pastors who see their mistakes but are too afraid that if they change the people will leave them.

They are afraid of the people more than God.
Most tithe preachers I know get the passages straight from the Bible. Although I don't think we should teach tithing as a new testament law, I do think it is for us to learn from. I agree with the fact that tithing was a commandment under the law and that we are not under the law so I see were it doesn't apply. On the flip side you will see Jesus raising the bar instead of lowering it the new testament church.

Galations 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

By this scripture would you say it would apply in the opposite? that if you are not led of the Spirit then you are under the law?

1Cor.16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

By this scripture would you say that we need to give weekly as the Lord has prospered us?

To me that means that: a person needs to give weekly as he has prospered and he needs to be Spirit led when he gives or he would be under the law.
In other words spiritual led givers don't have to tithe, but Gods' Spirit will in most cases exceed the law.

The people you claim backslid because of a preacher teaching tithing probably wouldn't of stayed anyway. If I felt as strongly as some here do against tithing I would leave that tithe teaching church and find another church, but I would not leave God nor would I try to destroy all those who did believe tithing to be necessary.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most tithe preachers I know get the passages straight from the Bible. Although I don't think we should teach tithing as a new testament law, I do think it is for us to learn from. I agree with the fact that tithing was a commandment under the law and that we are not under the law so I see were it doesn't apply. On the flip side you will see Jesus raising the bar instead of lowering it the new testament church.

Galations 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

By this scripture would you say it would apply in the opposite? that if you are not led of the Spirit then you are under the law?

Bullseye....Brother what you just said is exactly what I have been advocating.

1Cor.16:2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

By this scripture would you say that we need to give weekly as the Lord has prospered us?

Yes I do brother!

To me that means that: a person needs to give weekly as he has prospered and he needs to be Spirit led when he gives or he would be under the law.
In other words spiritual led givers don't have to tithe, but Gods' Spirit will in most cases exceed the law.

Amen, as the Spirit of the Lord leads the saint to give.

The people you claim backslid because of a preacher teaching tithing probably wouldn't of stayed anyway.

Brother, the typical saying about the saints that could not tow the line and leave is this..."they were among us, but not of us". You might want to learn that saying they use...

If I felt as strongly as some here do against tithing I would leave that tithe teaching church and find another church, but I would not leave God nor would I try to destroy all those who did believe tithing to be necessary.
I actually left over it 2 years ago. I had taught HBS to about half of the last church I attended. I left because I did not want them to see me rise up against the Pastor.(BTW...I told the pastor twice that he will likely be lost if he keeps the tithing message up), he said I would be lost likewise for not tithing.
I met with numerous pastors of various churches in my general area and they blacklisted me. Then I got on AFF and just joined in on the existing debate on tithing that you see now.

The Holy Ghost has planted me in this situation for the time being. I am just hangin out with you guys until He says move on....

Last edited by Sean; 09-23-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingZword View Post
Haven't you pronounced a curse on others? You have referred to those that do not prescribe to the tithe doctrine as "God robbers"? These are folk who are giving, some more and some less than ten percent. Yet they are thieves?

That is abuse and manipulation of the bride.

it sounds like you have made allot of personal sacrifice to the ministry. I commend you. But what about the layman who may not have 10% to give but has donated much of his time and gasoline to support his church and pastor? Is he still a thief?

Last edited by Originalist; 09-24-2014 at 07:50 AM.