Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Political Talk
Facebook

Notices

Political Talk Political News

Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Can a plant be a "spirit"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
True. But did George Washington and Thomas Jefferson know this?
Probably so. If not, we would have seen caricatures of them both smoking a joint the size of a telephone pole trying to get high.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Probably so. If not, we would have seen caricatures of them both smoking a joint the size of a telephone pole trying to get high.
My point is that they didn't know THC and CBD levels. Molecular biochemistry wasn't really booming in the mid to late 1700's. lol

However, I don't think they took to smoking the kind of hemp they grew back then. It was primarily to make paper, rope, and general use like cotton.

States didn't start passing laws against cannabis until 1906. And it wasn't until 1937 that we see the first national regulation in the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. William O'Shaughnessy introduced its use in Western medicine in 1839. In the 1850's medicinal preparations of cannabis became available in most American pharmacies. There were pharmacy regulations involving labeling. If any drug or medication was old outside of a pharmacy without a prescription it was required to be labeled "poison". This was because so many individuals were mixing narcotics in many home made medications and "snake oils". Cannabis was subject to this regulation. It was also subject to limitations such as it's sale being prohibited to minors. Those medications containing cannabis or hemp had to have it listed in their preparations. Twenty nine states had laws that mentioned cannabis. Eight had sale of poison laws involving cannabis. Many states did not consider cannabis a poison but required it to be labeled. In 1853, recreational cannabis was listed as a "fashionable narcotic". By the 1880's oriental style hashish parlors were flourishing in most major cities along the east coast. New York had over 500 such establishments. These places catered to all classes. Some even to the "better classes".

From 1906 to 1938 we see an increase in laws seeking to prohibit the recreational and pharmaceutical use of cannabis. And most of this is some pretty questionable and shady political stuff involving the budding temperance movement, textile companies, and various contracts and patents. This generation almost made fresh air illegal. lol

Point is... cannabis use has been around for generations. The opinion we have of it today is largely shaped by propaganda and political agendas. After seeing what it's like in Amsterdam. I think our law enforcement agencies could better use their time and resources perusing more dangerous criminals and addressing the more dangerous drugs out there.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
George Washington grew hemp. Thomas Jefferson even smuggled hemp seeds from China through France. lol
Quote:
My point is that they didn't know THC and CBD levels. Molecular biochemistry wasn't really booming in the mid to late 1700's. lol

However, I don't think they took to smoking the kind of hemp they grew back then. It was primarily to make paper, rope, and general use like cotton.
Maybe I missed something, but your first post shows an inference that you believe they were using the "hemp" for recreational purposes. If not, why the laughing?

I was pointing out what you also stated in your last post - "It was primarily to make paper, rope and general use like cotton."
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 AM
Registered Member

My Native American friends would say that plants, just like animals, have spirits.

I have no desire to smoke grass.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

I don't understand why sensible people even engage.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Maybe I missed something, but your first post shows an inference that you believe they were using the "hemp" for recreational purposes. If not, why the laughing?
Because they avidly supported and participated in the growth of a crop that is largely considered illegal today. In addition, Jefferson even smuggled seeds in from other countries to do so. lol

Quote:
I was pointing out what you also stated in your last post - "It was primarily to make paper, rope and general use like cotton."
Well, there is no real record of them smoking any form of cannabis recreationally. However, it wasn't illegal if they had chosen to do so.

I find it a bit silly that we use the government and public resources to prohibit things that were perfectly legal back in the "glory days" of American history. It seems like we don't mind seeing so much of our tax dollars go towards policing the production and use of a plant that is truly no worse than whisky (which is legal), and shows the promise of opening new markets, industries, and new medical treatments. And yet, we complain about programs that ensure that every child in America has healthcare coverage. LOL

It just seems like our priorities are a bit mixed up.

Last edited by Aquila; 01-19-2018 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
My Native American friends would say that plants, just like animals, have spirits.
Interesting point. If one sees "spirit" as the substance of the living essence, then all living things have a "spirit", including plants. But this would be an ontological truth, it wouldn't mean that the plant itself is an "evil spirit".

Quote:
I have no desire to smoke grass.
I have no desire to be a stoner either. But something in me becomes indignant when I'm told that I can't make such choices for myself. Especially if it involves my liberties and something that is relatively harmless.

Last edited by Aquila; 01-19-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
But something in me becomes indignant when I'm told that I can't make such choices for myself. Especially if it involves my liberties and something that is relatively harmless.
John 8:44

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interesting point. If one sees "spirit" as the substance of the living essence, then all living things have a "spirit", including plants. But this would be an ontological truth, it wouldn't mean that the plant itself is an "evil spirit".

I have no desire to be a stoner either. But something in me becomes indignant when I'm told that I can't make such choices for myself. Especially if it involves my liberties and something that is relatively harmless.
I like your posts nowadays.

I dont want you to turn them into, "hey wow man" posts, capeesh?

LOL
Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Why would you care or put any credence into a group of people who are superstitious? I mean, who cares if they believe there are spirits in animals and plants? It isn't truth, so who cares?