Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Then the bottom fell out.

Under pressure from peers and leadership, I came down hard on a new "platform standard". It is one of the great regrets of my life. I have begged God to forgive me since.

But the damage was done. When the dust settled, I had lost over half of those precious souls. It haunts me daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
Ugh!
Still excellent advice here........sorry it happened to PP, but you can learn from his mistake.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Darcie, I will step away for a while and leave you with this thought. It is from my District Superintendent, whom I consider one of the greatest men of God to ever walk on this planet.

"The true heart of a pastor is shown by how he treats those who can offer him nothing."
Beautiful!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Darcie, I will step away for a while and leave you with this thought. It is from my District Superintendent, whom I consider one of the greatest men of God to ever walk on this planet.

"The true heart of a pastor is shown by how he treats those who can offer him nothing."
I just saw this when Renda commented on it and I echo her sentiment. It is a beautiful quote!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Incredible India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcie View Post
it's not! then you start wondering Am I cut out for this? what are we doing here?
You are! You find out a lot of stuff about yourself in the process. One thing you can not do is compare yourself to anyone else--you will get depressed!

I guess in these last few months (especially after a few our main musician left) I realize not to get stressed out over how church goes--

I think we put too much pressure for there to be a great reaction, church production emotional responses or what ever I am expecting to happen.

I just don't let it get to me, I do my part, Keith does his-God shows up and if we have just a few people or a lot of people. People worship or don't worship, I am not getting stressed or worried about it anymore--

I am more concerned about how to reach people in this area and that seems the difficult challenge for us.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Somebody smack me if I am posting too much advice, okay?

Darcie, The most enjoyable aspect of HM is that you get to be gatherers. A HM pastor must be approachable, idealistic, and a gatherer.

Remember, never scatter the flock, no matter how unlike sheep they may seem. Never pull up what you think is a tare, for it may be your harvest. Value everyone. Every soul counts.

Did you ever notice how many people Jesus gathered? He was always gathering the ones no one else wanted. The religious people hated him for that. Talking to an adulterer at a well, having dinner with a thieving tax collector, hanging around drunks.

Your job is to gather those sorts of people. You are fulfilling his mission to "seek and save that which is lost". So Darcie dear, gather people.

My wife and I have helped every type of miscreant imaginable. We have invited people into our home that had never had an old-fashioned home-cooked meal. We have helped rid families of lice (scared to death the entire time). We have bailed souls out of jail.

I don't regret any of it.

Don't believe the lie that numbers don't matter. They do. They do because you are to be a gatherer. You are a harvester.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:31 PM

Numbers matter as does impact.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

PP if you are posting too much, i must like too much. This is great.

anyone can tell this is a subject that is dear to your heart.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:55 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
PP if you are posting too much, i must like too much. This is great.

anyone can tell this is a subject that is dear to your heart.
Agreed! No smacking here!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Chewy

One of the most difficult things to deal with in a new church are regurgitated saints.

By this I mean those people who have bounced from church to church or in your case, from organization to organization leaving quite a gut trail, and they come in nicey nicey, sincere, and willing to do anything, thinking they will have a chance to manipulate the bright eyed and bushy tailed pastor.

Be very wary and never ever ever trade a so called well traveled and troubled saint for increased numbers or heavier offering coffers. ALWAYS check references of folks coming from other churches.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Step By Step - Day By Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
One of the most difficult things to deal with in a new church are regurgitated saints.

By this I mean those people who have bounced from church to church or in your case, from organization to organization leaving quite a gut trail, and they come in nicey nicey, sincere, and willing to do anything, thinking they will have a chance to manipulate the bright eyed and bushy tailed pastor.

Be very wary and never ever ever trade a so called well traveled and troubled saint for increased numbers or heavier offering coffers. ALWAYS check references of folks coming from other churches.
They're not all like the way you describe Chewy and I just feel that I need to speak up and say that.

We started a church a few years ago and the one thing that we said we absolutely didn't want, was exactly what we got. That is, saints from another church.

They had been unhappy for a long time but had stayed in their church, been faithful, paid their tithes and after they left there and started coming to the work we started they never talked bad or disrespectfully about the church or the pastor.

They also didn't come prepared to manipulate. They simply weren't like that at all.

We were totally surprised this happened - totally - and we did or said nothing to encourage them. No way! It was totally their own decision to make the choice they did. I felt sick at heart for the man who had been their pastor because I know what it's like to lose good people who you love and have developed relationship with.

I have to say it sure was wonderful going to church with people who were grounded, loved God and had a great attitude vs. going alone and struggling by ourselves.

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)