Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Shaking the dust off my shoes.

Advice on Tithing

I could use some advice from those of you who believe in tithing. Most of you know that I do not have a home church. There is a church, here in town, that I have visited a few times, but nothing has been decided on whether to make it our home church or not. I believe in tithing and have realized that I have neglected this aspect of my walk because of not having a home church. My idea is to give the tithes to different ministries I happen to believe in. One example would be a missionary I know about. I may give part of the tithes to the church I have been visiting, but I don't really feel any sense of obligation to give all the tithes to just this one church. What do you all think of giving the tithes to different ministries until I can find a home church?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Jerry Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I could use some advice from those of you who believe in tithing. Most of you know that I do not have a home church. There is a church, here in town, that I have visited a few times, but nothing has been decided on whether to make it our home church or not. I believe in tithing and have realized that I have neglected this aspect of my walk because of not having a home church. My idea is to give the tithes to different ministries I happen to believe in. One example would be a missionary I know about. I may give part of the tithes to the church I have been visiting, but I don't really feel any sense of obligation to give all the tithes to just this one church. What do you all think of giving the tithes to different ministries until I can find a home church?
I personally think that it's all right till you find a home church to give it to different ministries... preferably one you know something about. But it's more important that you find a home church. I had a saint once that asked if he could suport a ministry outside of our church and I was fine with that. But not all pastors feel that way.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

When I have been "between" churches, I have given my tithes to where ever I was getting my food from.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
When I have been "between" churches, I have given my tithes to where ever I was getting my food from.

I ain't giving my tithe money to my wife!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Rico, I don't think there's a thing wrong with that. I don't think you have to explain it, either. I would keep in mind how much you were "getting" from the church you're attending. I don't mean money or whatever, I mean how involved you were, etc. I wouldn't want to be a burden on the church, if possible.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
It's not easy being me.

Do you need me to PM you my address.....
Old 08-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quite simply, I believe any deep contemplation about this matter is a diversion of the weighter matters you are struggling with. Please don't take me wrong Rico... I am not judging you in any way - only going by some of your statements and acknowledgements here and in other threads.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Sister Alvear

All I can say without someone thinking I want your tithes is that I am praying for you and for God to give you a church where you feel confortable.
Rico, you have been hurt please read what I put on the forum today. You are precious in God´s sight and He loves you. There are some things we will never see just alike where ever we go.
I was thinking the other day about all the churches in the states each so different...It is good we serve a Jesus that never changes. We are His children and He deeply loves us.
We are saved by HIS grace and not by OUR WORKS. Trust His grace embrace His banner, His love, His strength. Some things that seem so important don´t mean a hill of beans tomorrow. Learn eternal values, look to Jesus...He and He alone is perfect.
A home church is a shelter...a protection.
I am praying for you my friend.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 08-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Quite simply, I believe any deep contemplation about this matter is a diversion of the weighter matters you are struggling with. Please don't take me wrong Rico... I am not judging you in any way - only going by some of your statements and acknowledgements here and in other threads.
Brother, I appreciate your concern, but I am right where I need to be right now. I am closer to the Lord than I have been in a long long time. I am ready for God to open that door for me to be a part of the church He has planned for me to attend. In the meantime, I am looking for a way to be a blessing to some different ministries. I just got a job making significantly more than I have in the last few years and my wife also started a new job. I have had this thing with giving my tithes to different ministries on my mind for quite some time now, because I believe in tithing. I am really not struggling with anything anymore. Don't let the fact that I don't have a home church decided on yet lead you to believe that I am in a struggle. I am now in a waiting mode.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
All I can say without someone thinking I want your tithes is that I am praying for you and for God to give you a church where you feel confortable.
Rico, you have been hurt please read what I put on the forum today. You are precious in Godīs sight and He loves you. There are some things we will never see just alike where ever we go.
I was thinking the other day about all the churches in the states each so different...It is good we serve a Jesus that never changes. We are His children and He deeply loves us.
We are saved by HIS grace and not by OUR WORKS. Trust His grace embrace His banner, His love, His strength. Some things that seem so important donīt mean a hill of beans tomorrow. Learn eternal values, look to Jesus...He and He alone is perfect.
A home church is a shelter...a protection.
I am praying for you my friend.

Sister, I understand what you are saying, but I have learned that God is my shelter and protection. Years ago I used to wonder if I could survive as a Christian if the doors of God's church were ever to be padlocked in this country. Now I have no doubt. I understand what Jesus meant when He said that nothing can take us out of His hand. All these years of bouncing from one church to another since I left the church in Shelburn.......all the confusion.........all the conflicting doctrines, ideas, and approaches to God........all the wondering about what is and isn't God's way............it's all taught me that God's Church is bigger than any of us could ever imagine.

The only things I can truly trust are God's Word and the leading of His Spirit. I feel ready to make a committment to a church assembly now, and I haven't felt that way in such a long time. I am coming out of the wilderness finally.
I can say without any doubt that I have a God who loves me, and He and I have a relationship based on love; a relationship that can never be broken; a relationship that isn't based on how I perform, or how He performs. I've survived the storm with my faith intact. Hallelujah!