Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Remembering my father in law Lt. Col Sherman Pratt

Short clip of him at 23:40-23:56

ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Not riding the train

Re: Remembering my father in law Lt. Col Sherman P

Very cool!!
Old 11-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Awesome

Old 11-12-2018, 05:20 PM
of 8!! :)

Wow!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

https://www.amazon.com/Autobahn-Berc.../dp/B0006EZ5RI

https://www.amazon.com/Decisive-Batt.../dp/0533095840

Two of his books.

These are some comment which were left in reviews of the Korean War Book.

My father in law was an amazing human being, and a wealth of history of Arlington Virginia, the Civil War, World War II, and Korea. He passed away at 90 years of age on September 23rd 2013. On this Veteran's day he is missed by friends and family.
-----------------------------------------
WWII son

Sherman Pratt was a friend. We were years apart, but Sherman respected the opinions of others. In all of our emails, letters and personal conversations he always expressed his feelings without trying to convince you that he was right. He recently passed away at the age of 90. Anyone who knew him will miss his honesty and friendship. When Sherman felt strongly about an issue he respectfully fought to win. This book was based on his opinions from the point-of-view of someone who definitely was never a lounge chair, Monday Morning Quarterback (as most of us are). Agree or not, you've got to respect him . Anyone who is fortunate enough to purchase this limited quantity edition will not be disappointed. We'll miss you , Sherm. LH
------------------------------------
R. Bridges

In Vietnam, we often spoke of seeing the "wolf" while Civil War veterans saw the "elephant". While the canine and pachyderm can't fully describe combat, they symbolize the enigmatic aspect of it. Anyone who has been in combat can't describe it and neither can those who haven't been in combat understand it. Sherman Pratt's book comes closest to bridging that gap between understanding and explaining the unexplainable than any book I have read.

The Korean War was a cold, violent, physically demanding war for both sides. Pratt's thesis is that certain battles were watershed events that shaped the outcome of the war. Pratt's description of life on the front lines is accurate and gives the layman an idea of what it was like to fight the Chinese human wave attacks.

After serving in WWII in Africa and Europe, Pratt reported to the famed 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division and was told he could kick up his heels in a staff job. He volunteered to take a rifle company from the Naktong River line to North Korea and back south after the Chinese intervention.
I can find little fault with the book other than some typographical errors and with some illustrations. The photographs are excellent and while they are obviously snapshots, they depict war as it was in 1951. I felt some battles were not told in sufficient detail such as the Twin Tunnels battle but Pratt is obviously keeping with his theme of Decisive Battles of the Korean War.
Pratt has strong opinions about his fellow officers and is most charitable with his superiors who made grievous errors.
I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to know the infantryman's view of combat.
-----------------------------
Richard C. MacGill

I met Captain Pratt as a replacement following the huge losses at Kunu-ri. A third platoon was being created, and he gave this green pfc a job as a squad leader. This was a man universally respected by his troops. The regular army guys were downright awed he had stayed "in" after world war II and gone to law school. I was hit at Chip-yong-ni but came back to duty. He welcomed me back but was sympathetic when shrapnel in my knee severely limited me. I was eventually profiled off the line.

Many years later, I saw Capt. Pratt's name in a news story and was able to contact him via email. We had a lively correspondence for several years. I can only say that this was one memorable, honest and caring human being that I still respect to the hilt all these years later. He did loan me a copy of the book but had me return it as it was the last extra one he had.

-------------------------

P Pratt

I'm his son Paul and have to bury him in Arlington national cemetery February 18 2014. I watched him die bed side and played his favorite songs from the 1960......he heard them and finally rested in peace.....it is a joy to hear folks compliment my pops!
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:02 PM
Happily "off the chain"

Think I'll get his book. Sounds like a very interesting guy.

Instead of google, use www.yandex.com

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - http://www.robertwr.com/

Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Think I'll get his book. Sounds like a very interesting guy.

He was, and he was very adventurous guy.

I'll ask my wife if she has any more books of his trip from Egypt to Cape Town in a Fiat. I'll send it to you.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:15 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

impressive.