Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-14-2017, 03:51 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Apostolic order of service

In 1 Corinthians, we have a section in the epistle dealing with what may be called "the worship service". This consists of three distinct sections:

Ch 11:1-16, dealing with certain proprieties in prayer.
Ch 11:17-34, dealing with certain proprieties in the Lord's Supper.
Ch 12-14, dealing with spiritual gifts, prophesying, teaching, singing, etc.

It seems there is a basic, structural order here - prayer, the Lord's Supper, the open meeting during which inspired utterances, teaching, and singing take place. This seems to parallel (loosely) the basic Passover service, in which there is the ritual killing and offering of the Passover lamb at the Temple, followed by the meal (during which there is the retelling of the Exodus story), followed by fellowship, which would often include teaching if a teacher, scribe, priest, or rabbi were present.

This also seems to follow the Lord's pattern during the Last Supper: He began with the meal (which would undoubtedly have included prayers and blessings), then after the meal they "sang a hymn" and He commenced teaching them (see John 14-17).

Granted, these are loose parallels, but there seems to be a common pattern. My question is, does Paul's arrangement of topics in 1 Corinthians 11-14 indicate a glimpse into the primitive, apostolic "order of service"? With prayer (ie "worship") being first, followed by a fellowship meal including the bread and wine ("Lord's Supper"), followed by teaching via an open, Spirit-led fellowship?

If that is the case, then should we not follow that pattern? We claim, after all, to be "apostolic", right?

If however that is not the case, then why does Paul seem to coincidentally group the subjects in that section in that order, seeing as they seem to follow the same basic structure or arrangement of a first century Passover service (a la the "Last Supper")?

Another question that comes to mind is "How in the world did they get anything done AFTER eating?" I don't know about y'all but after I eat I do not feel like "shouting", or speaking much, or singing, or anything like that. In fact, the Jews also recognised this basic problem, and moved the "haggadah" or retelling of the Exodus event from the end of the Passover meal to a place inside (that is, concurrently) with the meal. It seems to be easier to engage in singing, teaching, reading the Word, testifying, etc BEFORE you have a fellowship meal, because after a meal most folks are a bit sleepy.

Any thoughts?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-14-2017, 03:55 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Apostolic order of service

BTW, I just watched a video where a Jewish proselyte explained the basic Orthodox synagogue service. What stood out to me was the order of events: First, there was prayer/worship, including Torah reading, then everyone would retire to a dining room and have a meal, then after the meal a rabbi or someone would deliver a brief (10-20 minute or so?) "message" usually relating the day's Torah reading to everyone. A sort of "sermon" or "word of exhortation" if you will. So that seems to likewise follow the same pattern - prayer, meal, teaching - including dialogue and questioning.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 10-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Usually, we have followed a slightly different order. Prayer/worship first, then an open meeting (including reading, teaching, testifying, singing, etc), followed by the Lord's Supper. It's just easier to do everything else first and THEN eat. lol

But I am wondering if that would have been how the apostles did it?

Gentiles were generally familiar with the "symposium" concept, which was a meal followed by a discussion/fellowship. (Unfortunately, a lot of gentile symposiums degenerated into immoral debaucheries, but not all. Some were more "philosophical" about these things, as the symposium was originally a custom used for teaching. See Plato, for example.)

Again, the pattern prevails - meal, followed by discussion/sharing. In a gentile symposium the meal would of course have been preceded by some kind of prayer(s) to the god(s), and the meal would not have commenced until at least a drink offering was poured out to them (origin of the modern "toast"). So again the same basic pattern - prayer, meal, discussion.

I just can't wrap my head around all these people, different cultures, etc doing much of anything after a meal except taking a nap...

Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Here's my take on the order of service in I Corinthians 14.
I Corinthians 14:26-37 (ESV)
26 What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up. 27 If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said. 30 If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, 32 and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.
As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.
36 Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.
When writing to the Corinthian Christians Paul illustrated that their gatherings should have the following elements and guiding principles (I Corinthians 14:26-37):
- Everyone is able to bring a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation to share at the gathering. However, there must be order.
- Gift of tongues coupled with interpretation, is to be presented by two or at most three individuals. If there is no interpreter, the one feeling the tongues should remain silent and not address the group.
- Two or three anointed teachers (prophets) are to speak and guide the meeting.
- Meetings are to be open and discussion based. If a saint attending has a revelation or something to share, whoever is speaking must stop and give them the floor so that all might be able to prophesy, learn, and be encouraged. And so all are permitted to prophesy.
- Those who address the group must realize that their spirits are subject to the anointed teachers (prophets) guiding the group.
- Women (or anyone for that matter) are not to use the time for socializing or excessive talking.
- Those who think they are spiritual Christians should acknowledge that this order of gathering is a command from the Lord.
It should be noted that these admonitions become increasingly difficult as a gathering becomes larger and larger. In addition, the NT notes that Christians primarily gathered in homes:
1. Acts 2:2
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

2. Acts 2:46
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

3. Acts 5:42
And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

4. Acts 7:49
Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

5. Acts 8:3
As for Saul, he made havock of the church, entering into every house, and haling men and women committed them to prison.

6. Acts 9:11
And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,

7. Acts 9:17
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

8. Acts 10:2
A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.

9. Acts 10:7
And when the angel which spake unto Cornelius was departed, he called two of his household servants, and a devout soldier of them that waited on him continually;

10. Acts 10:22
And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.

11. Acts 12:12
And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying.

12. Acts 16:31
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

13. Acts 16:32
And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

14. Acts 18:7
And he departed thence, and entered into a certain man's house, named Justus, one that worshipped God, whose house joined hard to the synagogue.

15. Acts 18:8
And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.

16. Acts 20:20
And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publicly, and from house to house,)

17. Acts 28:30
And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,

18. Romans 16:3-5
3Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: 4Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. 5Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epaenetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto

19. Romans 16:10
Salute Apelles approved in Christ. Salute them which are of Aristobulus' household.

20. Romans 16:11
Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.

21. 1 Corinthians 1:11
For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

22. 1 Corinthians 1:16
And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.

23. 1 Corinthians 16:15
I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)
24. 1 Corinthians 16:19
The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

25. Philippians 4:22
All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.

26. Colossians 4:15
Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.

27. 2 Timothy 1:16
The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:

28. 2 Timothy 3:6
For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

29. 2 Timothy 4:19
Salute Prisca and Aquila, and the household of Onesiphorus.

30. Titus 1:11
Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.

31. Philemon 1:2
And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

32. 2 John 1:10
If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
So, it is the conviction of many that the first century Christian church was primarily composed of smaller gatherings in homes wherein these admonitions of Paul could be carried out to the letter. This appears to be the only "biblical" form of church and order of service noted in the NT. The picture below illustrates what these gatherings might look like today:

Last edited by Aquila; 10-16-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:44 AM
Sister Alvear

Does this mean your women are silent?

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 10-16-2017, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Does this mean your women are silent?
No! They're anything but! LOL

There are multiple interpretations of what Paul meant about women keeping silence. We take it as it meaning that some women in the early church were interrupting the service with distracting questions and things that were off topic. Primarily because most women back in that time couldn't read and were not often involved with the services in the synagogues. The Christian women were excited and wanting to learn everything they could so they were asking TONS of questions and trying hard to reconcile teachings they were receiving with what they already understood. So, regarding these interruptions, we take the position that Paul wanted the women to ask their questions to their husbands at home in order to be brought up to speed, and to focus on the teaching and ministry of the church while in gatherings.

I know there are many interpretations of this. I'm not dogmatic on it. But that's our take.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Y'all have missed the point of the thread...

Old 10-16-2017, 09:24 AM
Covenant Apostolic

I'm guessing that they didn't eat as often or as much as we do, and what they did eat was simple, and didn't send them into a carb induced coma.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I'm guessing that they didn't eat as often or as much as we do, and what they did eat was simple, and didn't send them into a carb induced coma.
lol I was thinking that. A meal of some meat, cheese, grapes or other fruit, and a shared loaf of bread, probably wouldn't knock too many people out.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Sister Alvear

I am not against house churches...in fact I think people become closer knot. However at the same time I am not against a building. For 200 years or so the early church had no buildings.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear