Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM

New Bishop installed in Jamaica: Oneness Pentecostalism in Jamaica

Mind & Spirit - A place of honour
published: Saturday | December 1, 2007

Contributed
Bishop Geoffrey Johnson and his wife Pastor Gloria Joyce Johnson.

Mark Dawes, Staff Reporter

Tomorrow is a big day in the life of The Apostolic Ark Pentecostal Church of Jamaica as that denomination will, at 3:00 p.m., consecrate Bishop Geoffrey Wellington Johnson to the office of apostle.

The consecration service is scheduled to take place at the Brown's Town congregation of the church group located on Huntley Avenue.

For Bishop Johnson, 68, the elevation to the rank of apostle is the consummation of a process begun by the Holy Spirit when, as a 27-year-old youngster, he began formal service in the sacred ministry. He was, up to that time, a supervisor, working for the Roads and Works Department of the Government. More specifically, the attaining of the rank of apostle is another elevation to a place of honour in his 52-year career as a minister of the gospel.

It is a culmination of the gifts that God, in His grace, has imparted to him for the building up of the Church, as recorded in Ephesians 4:11 (apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors , teachers).

Highest rank
As an apostle, little will change in the day-to-day life of Bishop Johnson as he leads the 20,000 strong denomination. In fact, he said that the position of apostle, though titular, is the highest rank within his church organisation. The office of apostle, he continued, is primarily concerned with ensuring that the 30-odd churches within the denomination are properly grounded in beliefs.

The Apostolic Ark Pentecostal Church of Jamaica is Oneness Pentecostal in creed and has been in Jamaica from as early as 1919. As the bishop of that chapter of the apostolic witness in Jamaica, Bishop Johnson has responsibility for the welfare of the congregations islandwide. His bishopric also extends to congregations in, the United States and England, where he and other leaders of the denomination have planted churches in Canada.

Bishop Johnson has been the leader of the Brown's Town congregation since 1965 when Bishop Henry Adrian Lee died. In fact, the Brown's Town church was the very first established in The Apostolic Ark Pentecostal denomination. Today, the Brown's Town church complex also houses the headquarters of The Apostolic Ark Pentecostal churches in Jamaica.

When Bishop Johnson took over from his mentor, the congregation numbered fewer than 50. Today, it is more than 500 and growing.

The bishop explained that in the polity of The Apostolic Ark churches, one's promotion in the ecclesiastical rank is determined by means of prophecy. He explained that if Mr. X is to be promoted, then a number of persons exercising the gift of prophecy would need to testify that they have heard from God saying Mr. X ought to be promoted to a particular rank. That was how it was for him, he said.

A much travelled clergyman, Bishop Johnson cites cases where his ministry has brought healing, exorcism of demons and even the raising of dead. For those who are unconvinced, Bishop Johnson said he can provide an auditable trail to show that signs and wonders still exist as it did in the recorded history of the Bible.

A much sought after preacher, Bishop Johnson disclosed that it is not his style to write out his sermons, as indicative of his total reliance on God to tell him what to say. The Bishop and his wife Pastor Gloria Joyce Johnson bask in the glory of 43 years of marital bliss. Their union has produced four sons and three daughters - all of whom are actively involved in some area of Christian ministry.

Adultery

The clergyman is not without his own thought-provoking dogmas, and some of these revolve around divorce. He believes that if a Christian divorces his/her spouse and then remarries, then "God cannot save you, for that would be living in adultery". But it is a different matter if the one became divorced and then became a Christian and then marries. He explains that in such an instance, God would have to speak to him in such a way to release him to appoint that twice married person to a position of responsibility in the Church.

While most denominations in Jamaica cannot provide a pastor for each congregation, The Apostolic Ark Pentecostal churches have no such problem. All the churches in the group have a pastor. Furthermore, most of the pastors are women.

Bishop Johnson acknowledges few regrets in the way he has done ministry. With the wealth of experience gained, Bishop Johnson is keen to pass on some of his knowledge to younger pastors in the movement. He will address himself to that challenge in immediate future, he told The Gleaner. In particular, Bishop Johnson wants to encourage his fellow ministers to remain faithful to Biblical strategies and ways of doing ministry, despite the temptations to do otherwise. His basic argument to them "is continue in the gospel and it will draw who must come to the Lord."

Renowned for his social and community activism, Bishop Johnson and members of his congregation in 2005 built a two-storey building on the grounds of the Brown's Town Police Station which houses the officers, a kitchen and a garage. This initiative was birthed out of a concern the bishop and his church had when they learnt of substandard conditions under which the officers were doing their duties. There are other major projects being planned, but the bishop remained tightlipped as he was not yet ready to disclose his plans.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 AM

Multi-purpose building
Labelled a visionary by many of his peers, the bishop is also the envy of many pastors for the multi-purpose building which houses his church. He built the church big, long before he had people to fill it. The building also has a studio where persons can obtain DVDs and CDs of the sermons delivered on a Sunday morning by the time the service is over. Also, Bishop Johnson, who has been the host and presenter of the 'Showers of Pentecost' radio programme for the past 30 years, uses the studio facilities there to produce the audio file for delivery to Radio Jamaica weekly. The programme is broadcast on Sunday nights between 10:00 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

Bishop Johnson hinted that there is not much left in his ministry as a clergyman that he has not accomplished, but he intends to keep preaching as long as God gives him the strength. His ministry is in demand and more congregations are seeking to have him preach there. High on his radar for ministry in the immediate future is Africa, Italy and Trinidad. He expects to answer that call before long.

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/glean...ews/news4.html

-----------------------------------------

I have always admired the Jamaican churches in New York. In New York City, great West Indian churches have sprung up under Bishop Mike Mitchell, Bishop Devon Dawson, Bishop Lincoln Graham, Sr. and Bishop Arthur Thomas [District Supt of NYMD] .... their worship is exciting and their consecration genuine.

I know of the contributions and influence the Trout family and Steward family have had on the island. Of course, the Jamaican church has not been immune from controversy.

I am glad I got to see a microcosm of these great people of God in NYC.

Thought I'd share the above article about a oneness org in Jamaica. Interesting to see this particular Oneness org's views on divorce, women in the ministry and succession to head bishop.

Any thoughts, comments, etc?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

This si wonderful news! Soy muy contento que ese hermano continua en la trabaja del Senor. Thank Jesus for good men willing to do a good work.

BTW, trying to continue the improvement on my Spanish. Don't hold it against me???
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Bill, you know they don't speak Spanish in Jamaica, right?

And keep working on it, that's great that you're learning!
Old 12-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Holy Unto The Lord

Sure mon! Noooooo problem mon!

Thanks for the heads up. I speak it way better than I write it!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

I thought the calling of an Apostle is a calling only God can give.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I thought the calling of an Apostle is a calling only God can give.
if churches can elect a pastor why can't an org elect an apostle??
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
if churches can elect a pastor why can't an org elect an apostle??
Yeah ... yeah.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Acts 2:38 Wowii!

Re: New Bishop installed in Jamaica: Oneness Pente

I think drawing straws are in order bruh.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Re: New Bishop installed in Jamaica: Oneness Pente

First of all there never was a pastor odain/appointed over any congregation in the bible. Secondly all the elders that were appointed of a congregation were appointed by the evangelists. Not the congregation. The congregation are the ones that picked/chose the people to be elders!! The evangelists are the people that ordained/appointed them to that office. Not one verses were only one man was appointed/ordained as a pastor to be over a congregation. That was started by the catholic church. If you will study you will find that the word used for pastor in the begining was always transliterated sheperds accept one time it was transliterated as pastors. If this be wrong then you need to show me my mix understanding. To correct me.