Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM
of 9!! :)

Re: What will you do without water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
We just got our electricity back on!

Two and a half days without electricity wasn't too bad. We have a generator, which kept our freezers and refrigerators going. Had to haul our water from a local spring where water runs out of the ground year round - totally amazing. It would fill a five-gallon bucket in less than a minute. It is good to know that we have a good source of water in case of tough times. Going without electricity for 2-1/2 days - you really really miss the running water the most. I could probably live without electricity, but living without water for an extended period of time would be tough.

My husband and I are definitely going to look into a hand pump or a cistern or something to where we can get our hands on water, even if we have no electricity.
Yay! Glad your electricity is back on! Living in an area where
hurricanes frequent, we know what it's like to be w/o it! Longest
was 2 weeks! But, we have never been w/o our water
during those times.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
On the road less traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by MawMaw View Post
Yay! Glad your electricity is back on! Living in an area where
hurricanes frequent, we know what it's like to be w/o it! Longest
was 2 weeks! But, we have never been w/o our water
during those times.
Having a generator made not having electricity not too bad. However, no running water - that is something you really miss. Almost everything you do needs water! This was good for us. We will be sure to implement something in the future so that we have access to running water even if we have no electricity. I like the idea of a hand pump and a cistern, and also the idea of being able to switch your well water pump over to a generator if need be.

But, even if we didn't have these things, we live close enough to lots of rivers that we could get water from. And of course, we also have the incredible artesian spring well that pours out of the side of a mountain close by to us which is an amazing resource to have too.

But just think of people who live in metropolitan areas, fresh water in times of emergency is an issue that quickly rises to the forefront. People just can't exist without fresh water for very long.

One friend mentioned to me that in times of water shortage, you could use the water out of your hot water heater. I thought that was a good piece of advice too.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We just got our electricity back on!

Two and a half days without electricity wasn't too bad. We have a generator, which kept our freezers and refrigerators going. Had to haul our water from a local spring where water runs out of the ground year round - totally amazing. It would fill a five-gallon bucket in less than a minute. It is good to know that we have a good source of water in case of tough times. Going without electricity for 2-1/2 days - you really really miss the running water the most. I could probably live without electricity, but living without water for an extended period of time would be tough.

My husband and I are definitely going to look into a hand pump or a cistern or something to where we can get our hands on water, even if we have no electricity.
You are indeed blessed to be where you are...

We live in the city suburbs...not my idea, but God set us here so we are doing our best to be as self sufficient as we can be...to address the water issue for those that don't a well or as you have a wonderful spring...

Water is the most vital and hardest thing to store for a very long time. There are stabilizers you can buy that help, there are 50 gal water barrels you can buy online that are meant to store water, they usually come with a hand pump. Water purifiers are online also, a bit expensive to buy but worth it if you don't have a fresh source of water. You can drink any water if you have a way of purifying it.

We have a well, and bought a hand pump that can be attached if we need too, we also have an IBC, you can find these on the internet as well, which is sterile to catch rainwater and fill, we can also fill it from the well, probably NOT by hand that would take forever. The IBC holds 275 gallons and has a spigot in the bottom front to get your water out. If you locate one be sure it was not used for toxic stuff as some are on farms and such, but if you can find one that was used for making alcohol as ours was its sterile and still has some 180 proof vodka in it. We will wash that out...my husband is in the process of hooking the gutters from his shop up to a system to fill the IBC this winter. We put a metal roof on his shop so when it rains its not bringing the stuff that a comp roof gives off and gutter filters to keep the big debris out, then a sand and charcoal filter to get the rest of micro particles out and then it will go into the IBC and from there to the water filter/purifier. We have also stored some water in our emergency supplies but not a huge amount.

So after all that, sorry for the book, we have put a lot of thought and effort into storing and having water, it is critical to have, truly a life or death matter.

The drought that is hitting many areas right now was another wake up call for me. We don't know what the future holds, but we can be prepared...being a good steward of our resources so we don't have to depend on someone else if there is a disaster, hopefully be a blessing to others that may need it too!

God is in control and that is joyful to know!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
You are indeed blessed to be where you are...

We live in the city suburbs...not my idea, but God set us here so we are doing our best to be as self sufficient as we can be...to address the water issue for those that don't a well or as you have a wonderful spring...

Water is the most vital and hardest thing to store for a very long time. There are stabilizers you can buy that help, there are 50 gal water barrels you can buy online that are meant to store water, they usually come with a hand pump. Water purifiers are online also, a bit expensive to buy but worth it if you don't have a fresh source of water. You can drink any water if you have a way of purifying it.

We have a well, and bought a hand pump that can be attached if we need too, we also have an IBC, you can find these on the internet as well, which is sterile to catch rainwater and fill, we can also fill it from the well, probably NOT by hand that would take forever. The IBC holds 275 gallons and has a spigot in the bottom front to get your water out. If you locate one be sure it was not used for toxic stuff as some are on farms and such, but if you can find one that was used for making alcohol as ours was its sterile and still has some 180 proof vodka in it. We will wash that out...my husband is in the process of hooking the gutters from his shop up to a system to fill the IBC this winter. We put a metal roof on his shop so when it rains its not bringing the stuff that a comp roof gives off and gutter filters to keep the big debris out, then a sand and charcoal filter to get the rest of micro particles out and then it will go into the IBC and from there to the water filter/purifier. We have also stored some water in our emergency supplies but not a huge amount.

So after all that, sorry for the book, we have put a lot of thought and effort into storing and having water, it is critical to have, truly a life or death matter.

The drought that is hitting many areas right now was another wake up call for me. We don't know what the future holds, but we can be prepared...being a good steward of our resources so we don't have to depend on someone else if there is a disaster, hopefully be a blessing to others that may need it too!

God is in control and that is joyful to know!
Sounds like you are in very good shape, and have very thoughtfully considered all of the different options available to you! Clean drinking water is a precious resource, and getting harder, and harder to come by. I hope to someday install gutters on our home and catch our rain water as well. We do not have a water filter yet, but that is also on our list.

Thanks for letting us know the different options available for people who don't have access to water.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like you are in very good shape, and have very thoughtfully considered all of the different options available to you! Clean drinking water is a precious resource, and getting harder, and harder to come by. I hope to someday install gutters on our home and catch our rain water as well. We do not have a water filter yet, but that is also on our list.

Thanks for letting us know the different options available for people who don't have access to water.
Your welcome, I don't get by here very often, but like the preppers patch things....
Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
Your welcome, I don't get by here very often, but like the preppers patch things....
It is good to talk about these things, and to at least have a backup plan in mind.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

I watched a documentary recently that talked about how mega-corporations are buying up fresh water supplies and sucking things dry. Freaky to think about.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I watched a documentary recently that talked about how mega-corporations are buying up fresh water supplies and sucking things dry. Freaky to think about.
Interesting. If they are concerned about fresh water... you know they foresee a problem ahead.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

The Lord provides...and He has for us! I do my best to hear His voice and not depend on my own understanding...He prompted us to prepare as best we can to be as self sufficient as we can be...I have been told I have lack of faith because I have an extensive pantry and water storage, and other things to get us through if there is a emergency of most any type...for an extended period of time. I think the Lord does provide, He provided us the means to be prepared, and not have to rely on others. I hope we can be a blessing to others though our preparations!
Old 08-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I did a search online about this, and came up with nothing. Just wondering what you might have read about this?
Google "solar still" and you'll come up with quite a bit of information.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road