Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Apostolic Women...Apostolic Nuns...

I am sitting through a week long class and in this class is a nun who works with HIV positive patients.

I watch this woman pretty much all day from across the table. She wears her habit, her long flowing cotton robes and she has a very pecular countenance. One could say she is plainfaced, chaste, humble, non-assuming, yet at the same time, she wears all these things with a certain panache that communicates...I am a nun, I am plainface, chaste, humble and non-assuming having given my life to God...and you are not.

I then considered the pretty outrageous thought (the class is rather boring), Apostolic women are the representation of the Apostolic (or more specifically the UPC) nuns considering the expectations of the church on the women!

Ask yourself, why are there more nuns than priests, why aren't monks as prolific as nuns, and why is it that there are more women active in the A-church (from a perspective of buy-in) than men?

It is too funny and interesting a contrast and comparison to just let go by, so I had to present it to you people.

I also had an epiphany that we have embraced the Catholic tradition of calling each other "Brother and Sister" too.

I love hanging around Catholics, so much clarity it brings forth !!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
I am sitting through a week long class and in this class is a nun who works with HIV positive patients.

I watch this woman pretty much all day from across the table. She wears her habit, her long flowing cotton robes and she has a very pecular countenance. One could say she is plainfaced, chaste, humble, non-assuming, yet at the same time, she wears all these things with a certain panache that communicates...I am a nun, I am plainface, chaste, humble and non-assuming having given my life to God...and you are not.

I then considered the pretty outrageous thought (the class is rather boring), Apostolic women are the representation of the Apostolic (or more specifically the UPC) nuns considering the expectations of the church on the women!

Ask yourself, why are there more nuns than priests, why aren't monks as prolific as nuns, and why is it that there are more women active in the A-church (from a perspective of buy-in) than men?

It is too funny and interesting a contrast and comparison to just let go by, so I had to present it to you people.

I also had an epiphany that we have embraced the Catholic tradition of calling each other "Brother and Sister" too.

I love hanging around Catholics, so much clarity it brings forth !!!!!
And the point is??????????????????????????
Old 03-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
I also had an epiphany that we have embraced the Catholic tradition of calling each other "Brother and Sister" too. ...I love hanging around Catholics, so much clarity it brings forth !!!!!
Are you having fun yet????

I dislike being called "Sister" anything...it makes me feel old!

I wouldn't call it a Catholic tradition....

Romans 14:10 "But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ."

Romans 16:23 "Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother."

I Corinthians 5:11 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."

I Corinthians 7:15 "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

Romans 16:1 "I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:"

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
You sound so judgemental and legalistic! Shouldn't she have freedom to dress as she chooses. No one made her become a nun.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 AM
My Family!

Carp,

I get your humor.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:11 AM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
Are you having fun yet????

I dislike being called "Sister" anything...it makes me feel old!

I wouldn't call it a Catholic tradition....

Romans 14:10 "But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ."

Romans 16:23 "Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother."

I Corinthians 5:11 "But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat."

I Corinthians 7:15 "But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace."

Romans 16:1 "I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:"
None of these verses show that these were addressed as brother or sister.

We do not use the trem in our church much..we try not to..old habits are hard to break.

Our newer guests feeling uncomfortable with it..or anyone feeling out of place by everyone being called bro or sis and them not being addressed as bro or sis.

Just trying to sensitive to new folks.

Whatever works in your church.

Our pastor is also addressed, as he asked to be, by Pastor "first name"

Some here might consider that disrespectful, but I assure our pastor is respected and loved.

If it is disrespectful..then please tell me Paul's last name
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeatlast View Post

We do not use the trem in our church much..we try not to..old habits are hard to break.

Our newer guests feeling uncomfortable with it..or anyone feeling out of place by everyone being called bro or sis and them not being addressed as bro or sis.

Just trying to sensitive to new folks.

Whatever works in your church.

Our pastor is also addressed, as he asked to be, by Pastor "first name"

Some here might consider that disrespectful, but I assure our pastor is respected and loved.

I thought it was Paul - - Apostle Paul.....lol!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No, but they were referenced as such, and that is probably where the tradition derived from, which was my point. (...rather than from the Catholic church.)

Quote:
I didn't say that it was disrespectful.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 AM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
No, but they were referenced as such, and that is probably where the tradition derived from, which was my point. (...rather than from the Catholic church.)

I didn't say that it was disrespectful.
1. I agree ..probably where it came from..or from the Quakers

2. I didn't say you did. Asked IF it is
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Carp, you are being judgemental and legalistic. This is exactly what conservatives get upset about. You claim to know her heart simply by the way she is dressed. You judge her by the way she is dressed.

I thought liberals believed what you wear doesn't matter? I thought liberals believed its only what's on the INSIDE that counts?

You are saying her belief and dress code is inferior to yours. You sound pompous and much like a Pharisee.