Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1

I almost had LS sign my bible once but I was afraid it might be his doppleganger angel and not really him so I didn't.
Lol.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Dr. Gerald Jeffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
Brother... though I didn't watch the video... I have sat through this "little gods" message in person ... as stated before, at New Life here in Nashville. I sat for multiple services, and have the notes from hearing not only the heresy of the "little gods" message, but also the "we are eternal beings eternally past" teaching as well.

So for those that didn't listen to the whole thing... I did... and it's false doctrine and dangerous teaching....
I remember being at Temple of Deliverence COGIC in Memphis (G.E. Patterson was bishop) and Juanita Bynum was preaching (when she was more of a minister and nowhere near the Jezebel false prophetess). One thing she touched on was 'we are gods' for a couple minutes. It was about a year later she was on TBN @ a friends house and it was all about sowing seed to her and TBN.

We all know how things have been for her since (this was 2000 or 2001).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Location: Migrate around the Mid West, from Michigan - Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroJoe View Post
Hey Bro,

I've heard Jeffers several times, I even have had him sign my Bible and give me a word. In all of his sermons he has always, 100% of the time directed all glory, power, eternity, to Jesus. He has never...again he has never, that I have heard, made himself out to be something more than he is.

Jeffers creepeth me out. . . . . .

Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM
A Child Of The Most High

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Why did you have him sign your bible? O.o

Idolize much?
Men of God that I respect and admire, I ask them to write something personally to me. It's not uncommon, nor do I feel as if it's idolizing him.

EDIT:

The Scripture he gave me was Phil. 3:10 and wrote that as I was entering into the ministry to always remember that God places relationship over ministry.

Last edited by BroJoe; 06-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Men of God that I respect and admire, I ask them to write something personally to me. It's not uncommon, nor do I feel as if it's idolizing him.
I agree. And it also increases the value, if by only a few dollars, to this guy.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

EDIT:

The Scripture he gave me was Phil. 3:10 and wrote that as I was entering into the ministry to always remember that God places relationship over ministry.
My fave scripture.

Not a bad idea - men of God giving advice, permanently in your Bible.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:

EDIT:

I have to be honest... I've seen that done, a lot in the COG and that practice sort of creeps me out. And after being in Evangelism for a few years, I had a couple of young guys in the ministry ask me to do it... and I said I'm honored, but no thanks.... and I declined signing their Bibles.

To me, it's too much like getting autographs, and too easily puts that minister on a different level than they should be. It also inwardly can boost their ego, and we as ministers don't need that.

It's funny that Joe said what he does of why... as the last time at a Campmeeting I was preaching, the young man said could you give me your signature and a note of advice or word in my Bible? I told him, you have all the advice and word you need already printed between the covers of it, you don't need my 2 cents on the front page.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 AM
All Because Jesus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Are they Oneness Pentecostal? What is their story? What sets them apart from the UPC or ALJC ? Feel free to answer via PM or by starting a thread about them. Until you posted about this org. here on AFF I don't think I had ever heard of them.
I hate to side track this thread... and hope this will not side track it......but to answer your question the Emmanuel Churches of Christ are Oneness Pentecostal through and through. They are a very, very small organization with our headquarters here in Nashville. The mother church is in Donelson, but not our largest church. It is very, very small. We have about 50 churches in the KY, AL, TN, GA, MS region, and several international works. We support over 180 churches in Honduras alone.

It was begun in the mid 1900's by a lady, and of course in that time within Oneness circles, women ministers were something that weren't allowed much. For years it was a thriving and growing organization until a horrible scandal hit the organization in the late 80's.

The Assistant General Overseer committed murder and burned his church, and was sentenced to the electric chair. Link to that story below. It was a horrible, devastating, terrible time within the church.

Now there is finally healing, renewal, and strength coming back into the Emmanuel churches, and we are believing God for great things.

I have only been in the organization less than a year, and currently am the only Evangelist within the organization. We have churches from each end of the spectrum concerning standards, and we all fellowship very well. Though I am much more conservative than most, it is not an issue in us loving one another, and our ability to all work together as an organization.

http://murderpedia.org/male.T/t/terry-john-david.htm
Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Robbins View Post
I hate to side track this thread... and hope this will not side track it......but to answer your question the Emmanuel Churches of Christ are Oneness Pentecostal through and through. They are a very, very small organization with our headquarters here in Nashville. The mother church is in Donelson, but not our largest church. It is very, very small. We have about 50 churches in the KY, AL, TN, GA, MS region, and several international works. We support over 180 churches in Honduras alone.

It was begun in the mid 1900's by a lady, and of course in that time within Oneness circles, women ministers were something that weren't allowed much. For years it was a thriving and growing organization until a horrible scandal hit the organization in the late 80's.

The Assistant General Overseer committed murder and burned his church, and was sentenced to the electric chair. Link to that story below. It was a horrible, devastating, terrible time within the church.

Now there is finally healing, renewal, and strength coming back into the Emmanuel churches, and we are believing God for great things.

I have only been in the organization less than a year, and currently am the only Evangelist within the organization. We have churches from each end of the spectrum concerning standards, and we all fellowship very well. Though I am much more conservative than most, it is not an issue in us loving one another, and our ability to all work together as an organization.

http://murderpedia.org/male.T/t/terry-john-david.htm
A truly horrific crime plus the murderer apparently was not the sharpest tool in the shed. Did he really think the fire investigators would not notice the head and other body parts were missing? Good grief! (I guess this is what happens when you are sheltered and don't watch enough TV detective shows)
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Sister Alvear

You know some people start out well but fame goes to their heads...The one and only time I heard him he spoke really well and nothing like gods were mentioned...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear