Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Originalist Originalist is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,943
This morning's sermon on tithing

Here are a few points preached today by our pastor...

Quote:
#1 New Testament believers are no longer under the Mosaic Covenant.

Romans 6:14-15

The tithing in the Old Testament was a requirement to be in covenant with God. The tithing in the old covenant was an example of a civil and
ceremonial law. It was civil because it benefited civil society and it was ceremonial in that it supported the Levites leadership in the temple.

It was not a moral law like, “Do not murder or steal.” It was a law designed to meet the needs of the Israelites.

Christ died to set us free from the civil and ceremonial laws of the OT.

#2 There are no more Levites

Levites were tied to the OT sacrificial system. They do not exist anymore. The temple is no more. In fact, every believer is a priest now in the New Covenant.

#3 We are no longer require to travel to Jerusalem to celebrate religious festivals Therefore the tithe to support those trips is no longer required.

#4 Nowhere in Scripture is there a command for the Christian to tithe

Christians should not create commandments not given in Scripture.

#5 Christians who hold to tithing as a commandment should settle on at least 20% to be most biblical.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Giving sermon.pdf (128.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Originalist; 10-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 PM
1ofthechosen's Avatar
1ofthechosen 1ofthechosen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,462
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Here are a few points preached today by our pastor...
Well whoever said it want part of the moral law must not be reading the same Bible I read. While I can totally agree how he said it was part of the civil, and ceremonial law and we aren't bound to follow those today it's also part of the moral law too. Not my opinion but scripture says plainly in Leviticus 27:30-32 "all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord. [31] And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. [32] And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord."

While I'm not going to sit here and Chase the rabbit around the mulberry Bush over what was implied to give and what was not, and who it was to be given to; as we've done so many times before. I will say the text says plainly "it's holy unto the Lord." Anything holy unto Him always was as we see through the story of Cain and Abel, and Abraham and Melchizedek. And always will be because He is immutable. So could you say something that was holy unto the Lord is no longer holy unto Him today, especially outside of any scripture to say so? That makes it part of the moral law because we can see even before the law people were observing it. And everything Abraham tithed to Melchezidek surely didn't just fit into the agricultural category.
__________________


Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 10-21-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Originalist Originalist is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,943
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
Well whoever said it want part of the moral law must not be reading the same Bible I read. While I can totally agree how he said it was part of the civil, and ceremonial law and we aren't bound to follow those today it's also part of the moral law too. Not my opinion but scripture says plainly in Leviticus 27:30-32 "all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's: it is holy unto the Lord. [31] And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. [32] And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord."


WHAT LAND !!! ???????

While I'm not going to sit here and Chase the rabbit around the mulberry Bush over wahat was implied and what was not; as we've done so many times before. I will say the text says plainly "it's holy unto the Lord." Anything holy unto Him always was as we see through the story of Cain and Abel, and Abraham and Melchizedek. And always will be because He is immutable. So could you say something that was holy unto the Lord is no longer holy unto Him today, especially outside of any scripture to say so? That makes it part of the moral law because we can see even before the law people were observing it. And everything Abraham tithed to Melchezidek surely didn't just fit into the agricultural category.

WHEN DID GOD COMMAND ABRAHAM TO TITHE TO ANYBODY ????

The pastor I cited obviously understands the laws of hermeneutics and you do not.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 PM
1ofthechosen's Avatar
1ofthechosen 1ofthechosen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,462
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The pastor I cited obviously understands the laws of hermeneutics and you do not.
We never read about it, but Abraham and Cain and Abel didn't just decide to do so on their own. That's very simple. Like I said I'm not going to chase the rabbit but scripture does interpret scripture and it says twice in two different scriptures "it's Holy unto the Lord."

What kind of church did you attend btw..
__________________


Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 10-21-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Originalist Originalist is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,943
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
We never read about it, but Abraham and Cain and Abel didn't just decide to do so on their own. That's very simple. Like I said I'm not going to chase the rabbit but scripture does interpret scripture and it says twice in two different scriptures "it's Holy unto the Lord."

What kind of church did you attend btw..
The tithe of "THE LAND" was holy unto the Lord. What land?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Evang.Benincasa's Avatar
Evang.Benincasa Evang.Benincasa is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 30,336
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
The tithe of "THE LAND" was holy unto the Lord. What land?
Florida!
__________________
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM
houston's Avatar
houston houston is offline
Genesis 12:7


 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SOUTH ZION
Posts: 11,194
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Florida!
bwahahaha
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2018, 08:11 PM
Originalist Originalist is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,943
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
We never read about it, but Abraham and Cain and Abel didn't just decide to do so on their own. That's very simple. Like I said I'm not going to chase the rabbit but scripture does interpret scripture and it says twice in two different scriptures "it's Holy unto the Lord."

What kind of church did you attend btw..



Exodus 30:25, 31-33 25 And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.

Quote:
31 And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, This shall be an holy anointing oil unto me throughout your generations.

32 Upon man's flesh shall it not be poured, neither shall ye make any other like it, after the composition of it: it is holy, and it shall be holy unto you.

33 Whosoever compoundeth any like it, or whosoever putteth any of it upon a stranger, shall even be cut off from his people.
By your awful hermeneutical model, we should still be obeying this command. Actually, this command NEVER was for Gentiles, nor were the tithing commands.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 PM
1ofthechosen's Avatar
1ofthechosen 1ofthechosen is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,462
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Exodus 30:25, 31-33 25 And thou shalt make it an oil of holy ointment, an ointment compound after the art of the apothecary: it shall be an holy anointing oil.



By your awful hermeneutical model, we should still be obeying this command. Actually, this command NEVER was for Gentiles, nor were the tithing commands.
If you show me the prohibition scripture I'll believe you...

And my wife has a bottle of apothecary.. (which I told her to throw it away, because if it's made wrong it comes with a curse!)

But your insults still don't explain about Cain and Abel and Abraham. They were paying tithes (and Cain and Abel didn't live in Israel either they also were Gentiles!) So apparently this has always been Holy unto the Lord because where did it come from? Had to be from God..

And if you could find me one scripture before Leviticus where anyone used the Apothecary we will observe that as proper refutation to what I'm saying here. Otherwise it's moot, and speculation..

And I just thought of something since you are talking about Hermeneutic interpretation, what do we do with the law of first reference when we see it obeserved in the 4th and 15th Chapter of Genesis? That comes way before the commandment of Leviticus. One were Gentile, and one were the father of all Jews who wasn't always one either?
__________________


Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 10-21-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Originalist Originalist is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,943
Re: Thi morning's sermon on tithing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
If you show me the prohibition scripture I'll believe you...

And my wife has a bottle of apothecary.. (which I told her to throw it away, because if it's made wrong it comes with a curse!)

Superstition.

But your insults still don't explain about Cain and Abel and Abraham. They were paying tithes (and Cain and Abel didn't live in Israel either they also were Gentiles!) So apparently this has always been Holy unto the Lord because where did it come from? Had to be from God..

Nowhere does it say that Cain and Abel paid tithes. We have a one time offering mentioned. You are building doctrine on flimsy support. Secondly, God only declared the tithe from the land of Israel to be holy. Thus, you are not even tithing correctly, by your own standard.

And if you could find me one scripture before Leviticus where anyone used the Apothecary we will observe that as proper refutation to what I'm saying here. Otherwise it's moot, and speculation..

Irrelevant. God said the anointing was holy unto him unto all generations. But of course, like the tithe, it was only holy unto all generations of Jews under the Law, which has been abolished.

And I just thought of something since you are talking about Hermeneutic interpretation, what do we do with the law of first reference when we see it obeserved in the 4th and 15th Chapter of Genesis? That comes way before the commandment of Leviticus. One were Gentile, and one were the father of all Jews who wasn't always one either?

Show me the "reference" to God institutionalizing the tithe before the law. Face it, you teach false doctrine. Repent.
Repent of lying to the people of God.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tithing…Is it a command? gloryseeker Deep Waters 1383 08-28-2018 11:51 AM
52 Lessons on Tithing MAC daddy Fellowship Hall 72 10-12-2016 01:08 PM
Sermon this morning Sister Alvear Fellowship Hall 10 10-24-2011 09:57 AM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by derAlte
- by Amanah

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.