Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Question about Uber

I was wondering if anyone here has or is working as an Uber driver (or some similar service) or knows someone who has/is.

If so, do you think Gainesville. Fl would be a good market?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Re: Question about Uber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has or is working as an Uber driver (or some similar service) or knows someone who has/is.

If so, do you think Gainesville. Fl would be a good market?
Hi. I have considered driving for Uber here in Houston, Tx. I began the process, but stopped after reading of drivers' experiences. Here in Houston the rate that drivers earn has been cut recently. I may finish the process and drive when the demand is high. I get text messages when rates double and triple because of demand. Usually because there's an event taking place downtown. And soon the rodeo will be here, so... $$$.

Here is a link to the forum Uber People. It is where I get updated info on Uber in my area. This link is to the forum in Gainesville.

http://uberpeople.net/forums/Gainesville/

Hope this helps,
houston
Old 02-08-2016, 11:14 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

I go to church with a guy that drives on the weekend. he makes 300 to 400 per week.

does a lot of late night driving.

These are the things I know about florida

1. I went to bootcamp there.
2. Disney is cool
3. Going to Kennedy Space Center reaffirmed my utter contempt for government.

also bootcamp is not fun
Old 02-08-2016, 01:33 PM

I think the peak hours here are between 11pm-3am.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

This is what I would do.

1) Drive for Uber and for Lyft, not just one of the companies.

2) Also find out the name of a fast-food and moderately fast-food delivery service and see if they are accepting drivers. The kind of company I am talking about would deliver for more than one restaurant.

3) Find out the event schedules for your local REGION (i.e. Gainesville, Ocala, Orlando). By event schedules I mean, check with your REGIONAL convention centers, theatres, playhouses, fairgrounds, and airports.

4) Find out when conferences and events are happening, make contacts with the area hotels, nightclubs and breakfast establishments, and make yourself available. Make yourself available to the food delivery service company at your convenience.

5) Another idea that can be very profitable is driving the "pedi-cabs" for a local company. I know Orlando has several companies. "Redi Pedi" is the most reputable pedi cab company in Orlando and that company does events around the central Florida REGION.

6) In that same vein, if you are willing to travel, and if you have a basic pick up truck, you can buy your own "pedi-cab" and travel around the central Florida REGION for different events and earn money driving people on your bicycle cab from point "a" to point "b". From personal experience, I have made $3,000.00 in a 3-day weekend at a Nascar event in Daytona with Orlando-based, "Redi Pedi". I have made several hundred dollars a day just patrolling International Drive in Orlando on a pedi-cab and offering rides to tourists for "tips".

7) If I had to choose one idea over the other, I would choose the bicycle pedi cab idea over Uber and Lyft. You may can find a pedi cab company based out of Gainesville, but with this idea, the bigger money is getting your own pedi cab and a cheap pick up truck to transport your pedi cab from event to event around the central Florida REGION.

8) If the pedi cab is not an option (whether to rent or to own), then I would do both Uber and Lyft-- not one or the other.

8.5) If you are going to do Uber and Lyft, then also advertise yourself on Craigslist as a person who will give rides in an around town and around the REGION. It is no more safer or dangerous than Uber and Lyft.

8.7) If you are going to Uber and Lyft and Craigslist, then look for a company that utilizes delivery drivers with their own vehicles. You WILL BE successful with this idea IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN BASIC PICK UP or VAN. You might be successful with a car.

8.9) If you have a basic pick up truck, you can also advertise yourself as a lawn guy and offer just a basic lawn cut, once every two weeks, for $25.00. There are some people in Central Florida for whom that will work just fine.

9) You will make more money with pedi cabbing. It will be more fun, more of an adventure, you will meet Apostolics from all over the country and other people from all over the world. I know this from personal experience.

10) I've driven for a traditional cab company before. I'd do it again, if I had to. However, I had several, very negative experiences and a couple of dangerous, potentially life-threatening situations as a cab driver in Orlando.

11) Have you thought about just getting your Armed Security license? Shift work, steady hours, steady pay.

12) Community College bro! HVAC and Plumbing certs in central Florida equals big $$$$'s.

13) PM me and I can help you with some of these ideas. I have contacts.

Last edited by Jermyn Davidson; 02-08-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I go to church with a guy that drives on the weekend. he makes 300 to 400 per week.

does a lot of late night driving.

These are the things I know about florida

1. I went to bootcamp there.
2. Disney is cool
3. Going to Kennedy Space Center reaffirmed my utter contempt for government.

also bootcamp is not fun
I am curious about number 3. Can you splain? The space program is one of the few things I don't mind being taxed for. I am all for exploration.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
I think the peak hours here are between 11pm-3am.
Life is all about risk management and the type folks out looking for rides 11 pm - 3 am do not fit in my profile of those I want to risk interacting with. The vast majority are without a doubt inebriated and of those a small percentage will be violent and you never know which ones.

If I were to do it I would have a carry piece in a shoulder holster, one in a ankle holster and probably a stun gun as well. Actually I would just not do it unless I was desperate.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-08-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Life is all about risk management and the type folks out looking for rides 11 pm - 3 am do not fit in my profile of those I want to risk interacting with. The vast majority are without a doubt inebriated and of those a small percentage will be violent and you never know which ones.

If I were to do it I would have a carry piece in a shoulder holster, one in a ankle holster and probably a stun gun as well. Actually I would just not do it unless I was desperate.
Here it's Hipsters needing a ride home from the watering hole.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Thanks to all who have commented. Jermyn, I might be contacting you about this. Thanks!