Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Registered Member

Your Church History

Hearing one's church history is interesting to me.

Were you raised Apostolic?

If not, what were you raised? When did you come to the knowledge of the truth?

I've asked this of many people, so it isn't anything uncommon for me.

Let's get this thing a-goin'
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Your Church History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Hearing one's church history is interesting to me.

Were you raised Apostolic?

If not, what were you raised? When did you come to the knowledge of the truth?

I've asked this of many people, so it isn't anything uncommon for me.

Let's get this thing a-goin'
Raised as a heathen, lived like the devil, explored every religion, settled on satanism, then got to reading the Bible on acid, got to feeling funny, wound up repenting. Found myself immediately homeless, landed at a shelter run by a Baptist church. Got the Holy Ghost in the back pew, met an apostolic brother a day or two later by chance, got baptized in Jesus' name that Sunday. Been in this Way ever since. Sometimes I even got in the way, but the Lord helped me out.

That was over 25 years ago that I was born again. Thank you Jesus!

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 08-05-2018, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Raised as a heathen, lived like the devil, explored every religion, settled on satanism, then got to reading the Bible on acid, got to feeling funny, wound up repenting. Found myself immediately homeless, landed at a shelter run by a Baptist church. Got the Holy Ghost in the back pew, met an apostolic brother a day or two later by chance, got baptized in Jesus' name that Sunday. Been in this Way ever since. Sometimes I even got in the way, but the Lord helped me out.

That was over 25 years ago that I was born again. Thank you Jesus!
Awesome testimony Brother I relate with that!

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Covenant Apostolic

My Mom was a semi practicing Catholic, my Dad slept in church when we went.
We lived in Virginia when Dad was stationed at Langley.
Mom was involved with a prayer group, one of the ladies was AOG.
She invited us to attend her AOG church, I received the Holy Ghost when I was around 11.

Dad Retired and we moved to Florida, a street preacher showed me Acts 2:38 and I was baptized in Jesus Name when I was about 15. Even though I wasn't in church, I always told my Sister about the Holy Ghost and speaking in tongues, and told her she needed the Holy Ghost.

Fast forward a few years. An independent Apostolic started home bible studies in Melbourne. He rented out an auditorium and held revival services. My Mom and Sister got the Holy Ghost. The Pastor rented out the women's club and started services. My sister invited me to come. Very ultra conservative Apostolic holiness church. revival, many souls won, church grew to 500+.

20 years in, the Pastor thought it would be a good idea to rename the church, revise the standards and doctrine, and go for more of a TD Jakes type situation.

I didn't handle it well and backslid.

when I came to myself and needed to plug back into church, I found the church I am attending now, and have been there for close to 10 years.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I was born into a UPCI church. OR rather the people I called parents for many years were married in Bro. Witherspoon's church in '45 which I guess is very close to the beginning of UPC.

In '64 a young 20 year old woman from Illinois tangled with a married Air Force service man. The result of that was an unwanted pregnancy. As she traveled about the country she ran into a UPC preacher. We are unsure if this was Bro. Gray in San Diego, or someone else somewhere. He knew of my parents somehow.

They had experienced the loss of an unborn child, and were told they could not have any. This pastor saw a chance to give everyone something they needed. Somehow the young woman made her way to San Diego. She lived with the Gray's for a few months - and then gave birth to me. She handed me to my parents 3 days later. She then made her way to the bio-dad somewhere in Montana, he wanted nothing to do with her or the baby. So -she returned to CA. On the way she married another man -also Airforce. She signed the final paperwork giving me to a UPCI family in Feb. of 65. At that time my name was also changed.

In 68 they moved us all to Detroit. My dad wanted to work for the auto industry. We attended Bro. Leaman's church in Detroit until about 76. In 72 my dad had a heart attack at a church picnic. He made mom drive him home -and was too stubborn to go to the hospital. A few hours later as I played outside - the pastor and others came to the house, and prayed for Dad. He felt good enough after that to sit up and tell them of my catching a 4lb Bass while fishing with him. The church folk left -and mom made dinner.
She called me in and asked me to wake Dad for dinner. I tugged his arm, but I could not wake him. There was a great amount of activity for a bit, the ambulance showed up -running only lights - no siren. They carried my dad to the ambulance - and it was later that evening I learned he had had a second heart attack - and passed on to his reward.

Mom stayed with the same church until the worship wars caused her to move everytime a chuch started to move to anything like modern worship music. This continued until I married. We -my wife and I, attended nowhere for a time. You all are familier with the story of several bad churches and song books etc.

I received the holy ghost at 13 - for the first time - but by 18 I had lost my zeal, and my beleif in any of it. Do to experience and starting college - a bad combination- led me at one service to a point - where I made a dare to God. I was so lost and so confused. I was sitting on the left side of the church, main entrance was to the Right. I prayed and said - Lord if you are real, you will not let me get to the door. You will stop me somehow. And if I get to the door - I will never enter another church. I do not recommend this method, but I can also assure you - I never made it to the door. Something hit me and I felt like I left the area -but in fact I was stuck at the back of the church, midway to the door - arms in the air speaking in tounges for 20 min or more. I will never doubt God again.

The rest is just normal history -

Only 5 years ago did I learn the actual events prior to 1968. I also learned that my bio-mother had 1 older child, a girl, and another boy, and girl, she later gave birth to by her husband she met in Utah. It was a secret known by all including several of the children in the church from 68 on - that was kept until I married. Mom told me about a month before the wedding - that I was adopted. The other details were kept by the state of California in a still sealed document. I obtained these records - by the kindness of some folks that work inside and provide these services to those willing to look hard enough.

As a result - I now have an older sister, and a younger brother and sister that I know and love. Found through Facebook and other sites, and good old mailing of letters. God, in his wisdom, has returned me to the family I came from after the adoptive family have almost entirely passed on. Including cousins and everything. They welcomed me back - with no questions.

I still struggle with issues related to being adopted, you can read the blogs of others, to know that there are some. I struggle with the issues that led me to fight with the Lord, and I still love nothing more than a great song service that breaks out in a worship fest.

Last edited by Wilsonwas; 08-05-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonwas View Post
I was born into a UPCI church. OR rather the people I called parents for many years were married in Bro. Witherspoon's church in '45 which I guess is very close to the beginning of UPC.

In '64 a young 20 year old woman from Illinois tangled with a married Air Force service man. The result of that was an unwanted pregnancy. As she traveled about the country she ran into a UPC preacher. We are unsure if this was Bro. Gray in San Diego, or someone else somewhere. He knew of my parents somehow.

They had experienced the loss of an unborn child, and were told they could not have any. This pastor saw a chance to give everyone something they needed. Somehow the young woman made her way to San Diego. She lived with the Gray's for a few months - and then gave birth to me. She handed me to my parents 3 days later. She then made her way to the bio-dad somewhere in Montana, he wanted nothing to do with her or the baby. So -she returned to CA. On the way she married another man -also Airforce. She signed the final paperwork giving me to a UPCI family in Feb. of 65. At that time my name was also changed.

In 68 they moved us all to Detroit. My dad wanted to work for the auto industry. We attended Bro. Leaman's church in Detroit until about 76. In 72 my dad had a heart attack at a church picnic. He made mom drive him home -and was too stubborn to go to the hospital. A few hours later as I played outside - the pastor and others came to the house, and prayed for Dad. He felt good enough after that to sit up and tell them of my catching a 4lb Bass while fishing with him. The church folk left -and mom made dinner.
She called me in and asked me to wake Dad for dinner. I tugged his arm, but I could not wake him. There was a great amount of activity for a bit, the ambulance showed up -running only lights - no siren. They carried my dad to the ambulance - and it was later that evening I learned he had had a second heart attack - and passed on to his reward.

Mom stayed with the same church until the worship wars caused her to move everytime a chuch started to move to anything like modern worship music. This continued until I married. We -my wife and I, attended nowhere for a time. You all are familier with the story of several bad churches and song books etc.

I received the holy ghost at 13 - for the first time - but by 18 I had lost my zeal, and my beleif in any of it. Do to experience and starting college - a bad combination- led me at one service to a point - where I made a dare to God. I was so lost and so confused. I was sitting on the left side of the church, main entrance was to the Right. I prayed and said - Lord if you are real, you will not let me get to the door. You will stop me somehow. And if I get to the door - I will never enter another church. I do not recommend this method, but I can also assure you - I never made it to the door. Something hit me and I felt like I left the area -but in fact I was stuck at the back of the church, midway to the door - arms in the air speaking in tounges for 20 min or more. I will never doubt God again.

The rest is just normal history -

Only 5 years ago did I learn the actual events prior to 1968. I also learned that my bio-mother had 1 older child, a girl, and another boy, and girl, she later gave birth to by her husband she met in Utah. It was a secret known by all including several of the children in the church from 68 on - that was kept until I married. Mom told me about a month before the wedding - that I was adopted. The other details were kept by the state of California in a still sealed document. I obtained these records - by the kindness of some folks that work inside and provide these services to those willing to look hard enough.

As a result - I now have an older sister, and a younger brother and sister that I know and love. Found through Facebook and other sites, and good old mailing of letters. God, in his wisdom, has returned me to the family I came from after the adoptive family have almost entirely passed on. Including cousins and everything. They welcomed me back - with no questions.

I still struggle with issues related to being adopted, you can read the blogs of others, to know that there are some. I struggle with the issues that led me to fight with the Lord, and I still love nothing more than a great song service that breaks out in a worship fest.
This is an awesome testimony!!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post

20 years in, the Pastor thought it would be a good idea to rename the church, revise the standards and doctrine, and go for more of a TD Jakes type situation.
Was it the founding pastor who changed things?
Old 08-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
Was it the founding pastor who changed things?
yes, the founding Pastor, and he was part of a ministerial alliance with Jakes

https://thepottershouse.org/ministries/phipa/
Old 08-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
yes, the founding Pastor, and he was part of a ministerial alliance with Jakes

https://thepottershouse.org/ministries/phipa/
I’m very sorry.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Administrator

My church history:

-Born to 2nd generation UPC family
-Raised in UPC churches
-Graduated from UPC Bible College with theology degree
-1983 Left UPC when moved and started attending large exUPC but 3 stepper church
-1999 Job moved me to another state and attended another large exUPC church but one with the PCI doctrinal position rather than 3 stepper.
- Last7 years or so attend non denominational Spirit filled church that baptizes in Jesus name and is pastored by a former UPC Youth Pastor in the same town.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"