Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Invisible Thad

Bishop G E Patterson - fussing thread (see other thread for nice things)

The Greatest Leader since their founder, Bishop Mason, Bishop GE Patterson Passed away today.

I really enjoyed his music, visiting his church and even his preaching
Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM
My Family!

COGIC Bishop G.E. Patterson dies
By James Dowd
The Commercial Appeal
March 20, 2007

Bishop G.E. Patterson, leader of the international Church of God in Christ, died today after a long illness, church leaders confirm.

Patterson, chief apostle of the Memphis-based COGIC, was 67. Under his leadership, COGIC grew to more than 6 million members in 54 countries.

Arrangements are incomplete, said Bishop Jerry Maynard, chief operating officer for COGIC. "I've lost not only a friend, but my best friend," Maynard said Tuesday afternoon. "It's like losing a part of oneself."

Copyright 2007, commercialappeal.com - Memphis, TN. All Rights Reserved.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
The Greatest Leader since their founder, Bishop Mason, Bishop GE Patterson Passed away today.

I really enjoyed his music, visiting his church and even his preaching
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
COGIC Bishop G.E. Patterson dies
By James Dowd
The Commercial Appeal
March 20, 2007

Bishop G.E. Patterson, leader of the international Church of God in Christ, died today after a long illness, church leaders confirm.

Patterson, chief apostle of the Memphis-based COGIC, was 67. Under his leadership, COGIC grew to more than 6 million members in 54 countries.

Arrangements are incomplete, said Bishop Jerry Maynard, chief operating officer for COGIC. "I've lost not only a friend, but my best friend," Maynard said Tuesday afternoon. "It's like losing a part of oneself."

Copyright 2007, commercialappeal.com - Memphis, TN. All Rights Reserved.
I was about to log out when I saw this...so sorry to read this news...
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I also am sorry to hear this news. Several decades ago back when there were those high power Mexican radio stations beaming religous programs in the South I used to listen to his radio broadcast and enjoyed it a lot.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
My Family!

I just watched a small tribute on the news - it is sad.

He really had a great presence here in Memphis and throughout the world.

I'll post other articles as they come out.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM
The LORD will fight for you

He was a great preacher.

Isaiah 53:5: "But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."(KJV)

"God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves." Dwight L. Moody
Old 03-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Blessed!

There was none other then Bishop Patterson. Some Sunday mornings, I would tune him in to hear him preach. He was an exciting minister to listen to...often times singing the last few parts of his sermon.

He will be very missed.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
My Family!

COGIC Biship G.E. Patterson dead at 67

March 20, 2007 06:06 PM CDT

Action News 5 has learned that Church of God in Christ Bishop G.E. Patterson passed away today.

The following is a statement from the Carter Malone Group, which acted as spokesperson for Patterson and COGIC:

This afternoon at 4:03 p.m. at Methodist University Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, the Presiding Bishop of the Church of God In Christ, Bishop G.E. Patterson, passed away as a result of heart failure. Patterson was surrounded by his wife, Mrs. Louise Patterson, and his family.

Patterson served as the leader of the fourth-largest Protestant religious denomination in the world with an estimated membership of 6.5 million members. He led the denomination since November 2000.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two years ago, Patterson disclosed he had prostate cancer. In January, he was hospitalized with undisclosed illness.

Below is Patterson's bio (bbless.org):

Bishop Gilbert Earl Patterson was born in 1939 to Bishop W. A. and Mrs. Mary Patterson, Sr. in Humboldt, Tennessee. He was reared in Memphis, Tennessee and Detroit, Michigan. Bishop J. S. Bailey ordained him in 1958 as an elder in the Church of God in Christ. In 1962, Bishop Patterson became co-pastor with his father at Holy Temple Church of God in Christ in Memphis, Tennessee. Bishop Patterson continued his pastorate in 1975 as the founder and pastor of Temple of Deliverance, the Cathedral of the Bountiful Blessings in Memphis, Tennessee. Today, Temple of Deliverance Church of God in Christ is one of the nation's fastest growing congregations with over 12,000 on its membership roll. The church is located at 369 G. E. Patterson Avenue.

Temple of Deliverance also serves as the home church base for the rapidly growing Bountiful Blessings Ministries (BBM) which is viewed internationally on BET and TBN cable networks weekly, as well as on local TV stations throughout the nation. BBM has a mailing list of over 100,000 active donors from outside the Memphis viewing audience. Bishop Patterson is founder and president of BBM.

Bishop Patterson is a learned minister. He has studied at the Detroit Bible Institute, and LeMoyne Owen College in Memphis, Tennessee. He holds an honorary Doctorate from Oral Roberts University and is the president of the Charles H. Mason Bible College of Tennessee Fourth Jurisdiction in Memphis, Tennessee. Bishop Patterson is the publisher of Bountiful Blessings Magazine and a contributing writer in the Spirit Filled life Bible (King James Version) published by Thomas Nelson Publishers and edited by Dr. Jack W. Hayford. In July 2002, Whitaker House Publishers released Bishop Patterson's first book entitled "Here Comes The Judge".

Bishop Patterson is a 20th century Apostle of Jesus Christ. He is a renowned national speaker, known for his simplistic messages that transcend all barriers of race, gender, age and walks of life for people around the globe. One of his themes, "Be healed, be delivered, and be set free" has become a popular expression. The nation demand for audio and video tapes is overwhelming. Bishop Patterson is the president and general manager of the Memphis based Radio Station WBBP (1480 AM), a full time gospel station with over 100,000 daily listeners.

Bishop Patterson humbly serves God and his community through the ministries he has established at Temple of Deliverance Church (TOD). These ministries have a positive and direct impact on: unemployment-TOD employs over 100 people and has over 100 local and national vendors; wellness-TOD is a member of the Church Health Center; education-TOD issues scores of $1,000 scholarships annually to students entering or returning to colleges or universities; family life-a prayer ministry with more than 40 telephone lines and a prison ministry that serves in the Criminal Justice Center and the Penal Farm in Memphis, Tennessee. There are numerous other ministries at TOD that address the needs of the community.

Bishop Patterson is a leader of church leaders. He is the Presiding Bishop of Church of God in Christ, Incorporated. Bishop Patterson has helped finance many local churches and helped organize seven other churches across the nation.

Bishop Patterson has been married to his lovely wife, Louise D. Patterson for 35 years. We are proud to present to you this highly respected and committed man of God.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

This is hard to believe, but very true. One of GE Pattersons biggest admirers was Don Imus. He is on MSNBC every morning from 5am to 8am cst.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of I 90 View Post
This is hard to believe, but very true. One of GE Pattersons biggest admirers was Don Imus. He is on MSNBC every morning from 5am to 8am cst.
I didn't know that. Do you know how he became acquainted with the Bishop?