Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Genesis 1 gap theory

Whereas I see no gap in the seventy weeks of Daniel in Daniel 9, I believe there are instances where gaps are to be understood in scripture. Perhaps Gen 1:1-2 is one of them.

Please help me narrow this down to its truth.

Genesis 1:1 says God created the heaven and earth. And verse 2 says the earth was void and without form.

Quote:
Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (2) And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
When you research the Hebrew word for "without form" it is as follows:

Quote:
tohuw {to'-hoo} from an unused root meaning to lie waste
- wasteland, wilderness (of solitary places) - place of chaos

H8414
תּהוּ
tôhû
to'-hoo
From an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), that is, desert; figuratively a worthless thing; adverbially in vain: - confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness.
The same word is used in Isaiah 45, translated as "in vain", and is also used in connection with the creation of earth.

Quote:
Isai 45:18 For thus saith the LORD that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain (TOHUW), he formed it to be inhabited: I am the LORD; and there is none else.
So if Isaiah said God did not create the earth TOHUW, but Gen 1:2 says the earth was TOHUW, then how can we make any sense out of it other than saying a gap of time occurred after creation in Genesis 1:1 and before verse 2 when the earth was TOHUW?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: Genesis 1 gap theory

Well, Bro. Blume, from an authority that you dearly love in the Scofield Bible, there is a note at Genesis 1:2 which says:
"Jer 4:23-26; Isa 24:1 and 45:18, clearly indicate that the earth had undergone a cataclysmic change as a result of a divine judgment. The face of the earth bears everywhere the marks of such a catastrophe...."

I had read somewhere that the word "was" in Gen 1:2 (and the earth "was" without form and void) could actually be translated "became" (and the earth "became" without form and void). I thought that I had read that in the Scofield Bible but I did not see anything about that when I just looked. My Scofield has disintegrated and is just a pile of loose pages.

The "gap theory" can put the age of the earth just about anywhere and the story of the six "days" of creation can actually be a more recent "re-creation." Some see this as a compromise with "science so-called" while others see it as a way of getting away from the "young earth" theory.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
"It's Never Too Late"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Well, Bro. Blume, from an authority that you dearly love in the Scofield Bible, there is a note at Genesis 1:2 which says:
"Jer 4:23-26; Isa 24:1 and 45:18, clearly indicate that the earth had undergone a cataclysmic change as a result of a divine judgment. The face of the earth bears everywhere the marks of such a catastrophe...."

I had read somewhere that the word "was" in Gen 1:2 (and the earth "was" without form and void) could actually be translated "became" (and the earth "became" without form and void). I thought that I had read that in the Scofield Bible but I did not see anything about that when I just looked. My Scofield has disintegrated and is just a pile of loose pages.

The "gap theory" can put the age of the earth just about anywhere and the story of the six "days" of creation can actually be a more recent "re-creation." Some see this as a compromise with "science so-called" while others see it as a way of getting away from the "young earth" theory.
Many believe that "The morning and the evening were the first day".

Actully refers to the first day of Jehova relating the things that were before to Moses.

The second day being the second day being the second day of Jevoha sharing these words with Moses.

The resaon God showed Moses his hinder parts was that Moses was to see that which was on the back side of God or time.

Tell me this why would God speak things into existance in 7 days?

I personally believe it took the Lord seven days to share this with Moses.

And on the 7th day the Lord rested...

Rested his case with Moses....
Old 11-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Follower of Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
Whereas I see no gap in the seventy weeks of Daniel in Daniel 9, I believe there are instances where gaps are to be understood in scripture. Perhaps Gen 1:1-2 is one of them.

Genesis 1:1 says God created the heaven and earth. And verse 2 says the earth was void and without form.

The same word is used in Isaiah 45, translated as "in vain", and is also used in connection with the creation of earth.

So if Isaiah said God did not create the earth TOHUW, but Gen 1:2 says the earth was TOHUW, then how can we make any sense out of it other than saying a gap of time occurred after creation in Genesis 1:1 and before verse 2 when the earth was TOHUW?
Dakes Bible was an exponent of this theory.

My personal mission is to BRING people into a right relationship with God, GROW them up to maturity and SEND them back into the world to minister.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The late Dr. Ironside had a note in his Bible at Genesis 1:1 which says:
"The original creation --which was perfect but fell into chaos."

At Isaiah 45:18 he has a note which says:
"The earth not created a waste --bohu--void--in vain--see Gen 1:1,2"

I have a book titled,
"Dr. Ironside's Bible
Notes and Quotes
from the Margins"
It has a copyright date of 1955.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post

Perhaps what Isaiah meant is the final creation was not done in vain.

Gen 1:2 means that when God created the earth...not ended the finished creation, the earth was empty...not populated with life forums or vegitation

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Go Dodgers!

On the other hand, maybe there really is a sort of Karma. The earth is really really REALLY old and it has been populated once before, gone through all the events until God destroys the planet and starts over again and again and again. God is populating heaven or maybe even other planets with the faithful....

Welcome to a Mormon/Scientology meets Krishna hybrid

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I have a book from the 1800's by GH Pember called EARTH'S EARLIEST AGES and he delves deeply into this theory.

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 11-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

The idea goes on as follows:

Jere 4:23-26 Jeremiah describes a pre-Adamite destruction.

Jere 4:23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger.

It is Pre-Adamite (before Adam) because we read it occurred when the earth was "void and without form". That fits Gen 1:2.

* WHEN were mountains trembling?
* WHEN was there no man?
* WHEN was the fruitfulness place a wilderness?
o ANSWER: When the earth was void and without form (Jeremiah 4:23).

LINK THIS WITH: Isai 14:16 -17

Isai 14:16-17 They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners?

Jeremiah said these events occurred when the earth was void and without form- GEN. 1:2.

Who was this one who did the things Jeremiah said occurred when the earth was void and without form? Go back a few verses to see who God spoke about.

Look before the verses we quoted in Isaiah 14....

Isai 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer,

Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The Jeremiah 4 passage could be refering to a future time that we have not yet seen.

There are some who believe in a pre-adamic race of people. Some believe that the spirits of that group of people are the demons of today. I may be wrong but I think Derek Prince and Benny Hinn believe(d) that.