Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Newsroom > Obituaries
Facebook

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Rev. Robert Trapani, just went home to be with the

Just saw this on Facebook:

Ohio District UPCI
Our beloved Rev. Robert Trapani, just went home to be with the Lord Wednesday evening, January 18, 2012. Please remember Sister Hilda Trapani and family when you pray.

We will post funeral service arrangements on www.ohioupci.com once they have been made.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Christmas 2009

Re: Rev. Robert Trapani, just went home to be with

Is this Huey Rose's father in law?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Brother Trapani is one of the most honest and transparent men I have ever known. His Christian spirit is, bar none, stellar! I have known Bro. Trapani for over 20 years and my wife and I have been privileged to dine with him on occasion.

He has helped me in my ministry like no other individual, and his open confession and tears over breakfast, telling us what happened to him when his 2 son's died, is something I will never forget. Many people don't know the details of how broken he was, and how this event changed his life.

RIP, Brother Trapani, and thank you a million times for your great love and humility towards your fellow brethren. You will never be forgotten in this Family!
Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

That family had a hard hard time.

The way I remember it, the Trapani family lost two boys to untimely deaths.

I believe one died at a youth camp as a counselor, the other....?

God bless that family in this hard time.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
Sherri,
I don't know if Bro. Trapani was Huey Rose's father in law!
I just posted my post from Facebook. Maybe someone will
respond to your question!
Hugs,
Falla39
Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Oh, that's too bad. Loved hearing him teach.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotforSale View Post
Brother Trapani is one of the most honest and transparent men I have ever known. His Christian spirit is, bar none, stellar! I have known Bro. Trapani for over 20 years and my wife and I have been privileged to dine with him on occasion.

He has helped me in my ministry like no other individual, and his open confession and tears over breakfast, telling us what happened to him when his 2 son's died, is something I will never forget. Many people don't know the details of how broken he was, and how this event changed his life.

RIP, Brother Trapani, and thank you a million times for your great love and humility towards your fellow brethren. You will never be forgotten in this Family!
NotforSale,

Can you tell us what happened to his two sons? Also a short bio of this man. I have heard his name for many years but can't quite place him.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I inquired with someone who knew this family well and grew up in the Ohio District. They said YES, it was indeed Huey Rose's father in law!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:01 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
NotforSale,

Can you tell us what happened to his two sons? Also a short bio of this man. I have heard his name for many years but can't quite place him.
CeeCeeOne, One of his sons drowned and the other died of an anurism. they both died very close to one another in the early 80s?

Brother Trapani was a great mentor and friend. Every single time I was with him he spoke something vital into my life. This is a very sad day. He was a very great man.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Pride of the Neighborhood

One of the kindest, wisest and most genuine Christian leaders. A great Bible teacher. A riveting preacher with a unique way of connecting to his audience. I will forever be grateful for times I had one on one with him, especially when I needed wise counsel.

Two memories of many that stand out: preaching a sermon "Life is not Fair, but God is Just" in my home church. Its been 20 years since he preached it, and I remember it well. The other memory was sitting at a Mexican restaurant with him and a conversation about transparency in ministry that made an impact on me and my approach to speaking and dealing with people and situations in my service to the church. I'm grateful to have known this man! His legacy is vast but primarily realized in his outstanding family who survives him.

He was the first UPC preacher that I noticed was different. They were singing worship choruses long before we were, and we were considered a cutting edge church back in the late 70s and early 80s. His preaching style was conversational and communicative, rather than the frothy, screaming redneck preacher that was the prototype back then. When he preached or taught you could sense the gentleness of Jesus, a shepherd taking care of his sheep, a fatherly, grandfatherly manner. I remember at Campmeeting when the evangelist preached about "Angels Unawares" and how everyone was stirred by the anecdotal stories of angelic encounters claimed by this man. After church Bro T in a very polite yet concerned private conversation pointed out that the sermon, although emotionally moving, was very thin on scripture and really had no substantive point. He didn't say it in an ugly spirit, but was willing to be analytical with me, a young preacher, about the importance of preaching that edifies and points to Jesus and the cross.

I remember another Campmeeting when the evangelist talked about people going to baseball games where there is drinking and smoking and cussing. The preacher said, "If you are in that in environment, you are in FELLOWSHIP WITH SINNERS!" After church, as I passed by, the comment "Isn't that what the Pharisees always accused Jesus of?"

RT was a thinker, he wasn't a party line preacher, he was honest, he was approachable, he was a listener, a reader, a friend to the most influential, powerful personalities in the UPC, but also the friend to the nobodies, the every day, obscure individuals. He was disarming, you felt like you could reveal the deepest secrets of your heart and mind and he wouldn't judge you. Once, when I really needed a mentor and wise advice I called him and he met me halfway between where he lived and I lived for lunch, about an 1 1/2 hour drive for both of us. He spent several hours with me and gave me great counsel. He was always this way. He was interested in you, your thoughts, your feelings, your hopes and dreams, what you were reading, what you were listening to, etc.

I'm happy for him to be able to go on and be with Jesus, his two sons who both died young and to be free from the illnesses that plagued him. I'm very sorry for his dear family and the rest of us, because a true gift to the world is gone.

‎When a newspaper posed the question, "What's Wrong with the World?" G. K. Chesterton reputedly wrote a brief letter in response: "Dear Sirs: I am. Sincerely Yours, G. K. Chesterton." That is the attitude of someone who has grasped the message of Jesus.