Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Banned

Re: Financial declaration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 View Post
Honestly, you don’t believe your Pastor blesses you?
It depends on what he preaches. Sometimes we get an earful. Definitely not worth a lifetime tithe. Sometimes I cannot give if there is a giving lecture etc.. You know what I mean.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Now that I will agree with you.

It should be as where (Pastor, Saint, Old, Young, Man, Women) blessed, we blessed others.

The church’s today are ran as a business, retirement funds, medical & dental insurance, vacation pay, etc... I read the requirements for an organization that was expecting from its “members”, I walked away thinking it’s nothing but union dues.
AKA..."salvation tax".
Old 09-19-2020, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I haven’t seen that.

They worked their entire life just to pay tithe, and never once received a blessing?
Not according to Mal 3.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I know a man who pastored at least three churches spanning over forty years. I asked him about the veracity of the tithe doctrine. His answer was that we (he is UPC so I’m assuming he meant the organization) have a lot of preachers who don’t really know the Bible.
Did he teach it?
Old 09-19-2020, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consapente89 View Post
Sorry. I’m not playing. I simply called out the absurdity of your statement.
Somebody in my church said once from the pulpit that if you don’t pay tithe you “won’t make it”. Literally, . The one that said it BTW it is an old timer that I respect and love a lot. A great man, retired pastor and preacher. It is just ignorance, and sometimes the desire it to keep it as a ignorance when your are benefiting from it.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
George Soros is paying tithes then. Right?

You might want to see if you can find info that stats he is or isn’t. I read a book, I can’t remember if it was “The Millionaire next door”, or another. Yet, it records many millionaires and billionaires pay 10% of their yearly income to church’s. The book stated that they have seen a influx of income based on there giving.

Again, its not scripture like some want it, yet, I believe there is a principle that God has set with 10%. Maybe its worth looking into...
Now we’re quoting from books, other than the Good Book. We’re quoting Dave Ramsey. We’re trying to figure out what the millionaires and billionaires are doing so we can emulate them. We are searching for something that is not to be found in the Bible so we look elsewhere. We love the doctrine so much that any excuse to follow it is deemed legitimate.

It brings a scripture to mind.

1Tim.6

[5] Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

This is how the prosperity doctrine comes full circle. You see if giving brings blessings of wealth, then it naturally follows that the wealthy are more loved of God than the poor. So if there is really such thing as a poor widow who tithes, then it has to refute the doctrine. In other words we need only produce our balance sheets to take stock of our spirituality.

Hence we should vote George Soros in as our pastor. You see how ridiculous all this is?

It is no wonder that Jesus responded to John the Baptist like this when he asked “are you the messiah? Or do we look for another?. . .

Luke.7

[22] Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Notice that the poor being preached to is in the company of five other miracles. Because it’s a miracle if they get preached to. If they do become converts the first thing pastors do is tell them that they have to pay tithes to remain saved. Salvation is free, but the dues are paid for the rest of your life.

Some people no doubt dream of the day that they can afford that “free” salvation.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 09-19-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Did he teach it?
I’m not sure what he actually taught. I think he probably just took a pass on the whole thing. I know preachers who won’t touch the tithe doctrine because they know it’s not scriptural. But they do cash the tithe checks.

They don’t teach the truth but they don’t teach the lie either. I think Michael Blume falls into this category.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coksiw View Post
Somebody in my church said once from the pulpit that if you don’t pay tithe you “won’t make it”. Literally, . The one that said it BTW it is an old timer that I respect and love a lot. A great man, retired pastor and preacher. It is just ignorance, and sometimes the desire it to keep it as a ignorance when your are benefiting from it.
I think you’re right. It is often a case of ignorance. And it is hard to convince someone that you’re right about something if their paycheck hinges on you being wrong. (Somebody famous said that, I just butchered it.)

It’s also reminiscent of the Pharisees. Jesus said to the Pharisees . . .

Mark 7
[9] And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

This tithe did not come from the Bible. THAT tithe has been rejected. Pastors today have their own tradition. It would be more understandable if pastors at least taught the biblical version of tithes. Instead they have their own “new and improved “ version.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Now we’re quoting from books, other than the Good Book. We’re quoting Dave Ramsey. We’re trying to figure out what the millionaires and billionaires are doing so we can emulate them. We are searching for something that is not to be found in the Bible so we look elsewhere. We love the doctrine so much that any excuse to follow it is deemed legitimate.

It brings a scripture to mind.

1Tim.6

[5] Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

This is how the prosperity doctrine comes full circle. You see if giving brings blessings of wealth, then it naturally follows that the wealthy are more loved of God than the poor. So if there is really such thing as a poor widow who tithes, then it has to refute the doctrine. In other words we need only produce our balance sheets to take stock of our spirituality.

Hence we should vote George Soros in as our pastor. You see how ridiculous all this is?

It is no wonder that Jesus responded to John the Baptist like this when he asked “are you the messiah? Or do we look for another?. . .

Luke.7

[22] Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

Notice that the poor being preached to is in the company of five other miracles. Because it’s a miracle if they get preached to. If they do become converts the first thing pastors do is tell them that they have to pay tithes to remain saved. Salvation is free, but the dues are paid for the rest of your life.

Some people no doubt dream of the day that they can afford that “free” salvation.
Your reading way too deep into what I posted. The mention of George Soros brought to mind a book I read about the wealthy paying tithes. Am I teaching people to aspire to become wealthy? Not at all.

Now we’re quoting from books, other than the Good Book.
Is that wrong?
Old 09-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

The concept of tithe being money is relatively new. The Tithe Commutation Act was enacted around 1830ish. It incited a war in Ireland in , I believe it was 1836. The Great Tithe War. Google it. I think there were about 230 people killed in that war.

Of course if you want to really corrupt things, bring money into the equation. It did with tithes. Of course there is no record in the Bible of tithes rendered in money.