Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Renewed

Re: You Can Fake It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy Girl View Post
In verses 17 & 18 Paul is quoting the OT. ...As God Said... "...."
And?
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
If it is up to the interpreter, should it be used as a measure of spirituality?
If you choose to live in a doctrine that interprets it as such, then yes. That's the trick, the choice is yours.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 05-01-2014, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Paul had a reason for telling the Corinthians to "come out from among them" and be separate. The church at Corinth had some who were joining pagans in worshiping in their temples.

They were also listening to false teachers. Some denied the resurrection (see 1 Cor. 15). Paul warned against their influence in the Christian church: "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners" (1 Cor. 15:33). Some were led astray by the Judaizers (see 2 Cor. 3). Unfortunately, the Corinthians were receiving some of these false apostles (2 Cor. 11:4)
I fully agree. There are many more problems, such as getting drunk during communion and much more.

Quote:
Whether or not it is about dress codes or "things of that nature" is up to the interpreter. Guess it depends on what "things of that nature" covers. I think it is obvious though that the main point was not to be associated with such. Whether or not that covers dressing like the world or "things of that nature" might again be up to the interpreter.
A list of dress codes was never something specified in the New Testament, which is why I mentioned those. Things of that nature means anything else that isn't specified in scripture. I believe the context in which Paul quoted the Old Testament passages, clearly shows he was not making reference to a dress code. That would be the least of the problems in Corinth with all that transpired there.

Look at the examples you shared as to problems in Corinth. They are quite serious in nature. They are clearly stated by Paul.

For the record, I am not stating dress doesn't matter. I am stating that the passages in question are not about dress codes.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Wow....
Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Specifically? Like as in how the bible "specifically" says cigarettes are bad for you?

"have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness"... don't fellowship with them, separate yourself from them, get away from them. It's pretty obvious.

"If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: Your to have nothing to do with them. Separate yourself. It's pretty simple.

I know what the "thread" is about. I was just addressing the question asked a couple of pages ago.
So, who are you separating yourself from? If you have an unsaved relative, can you have him in your house?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you choose to live in a doctrine that interprets it as such, then yes. That's the trick, the choice is yours.
So, is it right, for example, for people in the Westboro Baptist church to be able to tell the people who leave their church that they are going to hell and cannot see their families because they refuse to hold up "God hates fags" signs?

How about the women who belong to no birth control movements who choose to use birth control because the doctor tells them they cannot have more children and these women are cut off from their loved ones and shunned because they aren't "trusting God"? Is it okay just because they have chosen to interpret the Bible as such?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
You used to call me Michlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn mac Cumh View Post
Im really not sure. I think its been so ingrained in our churches. I would like to know the real meaning of "Come out from them and be ye separate."
Quote:
Isn't that God talking to the Israelites in the OT? When they were under the law, which included hundreds of rules as to how they were supposed to be separate?
Quote:
ummmmm... "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

2 Corinthians 6:17.. NT, written to the early church. (us)

Apparently you can fake knowledge of the scriptures too.
Quote:
In verses 17 & 18 Paul is quoting the OT. ...As God Said... "...."
Quote:
And?
The verse was mentioned. I said that God was speaking to the Israelites, ILG and Fionn agreed.

You countered that it was NT (2 Cor 6) and for us, and that we (or possibly just ILG?) were faking knowledge of the scriptures.

I think countered that it IS found in the NT, but that Paul was simply quoting the OT to them. (i.e defending my knowledge of the scriptures, and that I'm not a faker).

That is all.
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Old 05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
The verse was mentioned. I said that God was speaking to the Israelites, ILG and Fionn agreed.

You countered that it was NT (2 Cor 6) and for us, and that we (or possibly just ILG?) were faking knowledge of the scriptures.

I think countered that it IS found in the NT, but that Paul was simply quoting the OT to them. (i.e defending my knowledge of the scriptures, and that I'm not a faker).

That is all.
Of course you're not a faker. That is obvious. Sometimes people like to call people who disagree with them fakers of Bible knowledge, but that doesn't mean they are one. For some people, if they were speaking to a university professor of the Bible, they would tell them they were faking too so long as they disagreed with them theologically. But unless someone has not read the Bible and got on here and started acting like they knew what the scriptures said, no one here is a faker. Some are more or less knowledgable than others but I would venture to guess everyone has read the book.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
You used to call me Michlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Of course you're not a faker. That is obvious. Sometimes people like to call people who disagree with them fakers of Bible knowledge, but that doesn't mean they are one. For some people, if they were speaking to a university professor of the Bible, they would tell them they were faking too so long as they disagreed with them theologically. But unless someone has not read the Bible and got on here and started acting like they knew what the scriptures said, no one here is a faker. Some are more or less knowledgable than others but I would venture to guess everyone has read the book.
I will confess that it has been 7 years since I have. (I just started again this week). But I am amazed at how much is still rattling around in my brain!
“There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting.”

― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader View Post
I fully agree. There are many more problems, such as getting drunk during communion and much more.

A list of dress codes was never something specified in the New Testament, which is why I mentioned those. Things of that nature means anything else that isn't specified in scripture. I believe the context in which Paul quoted the Old Testament passages, clearly shows he was not making reference to a dress code. That would be the least of the problems in Corinth with all that transpired there.

Look at the examples you shared as to problems in Corinth. They are quite serious in nature. They are clearly stated by Paul.

For the record, I am not stating dress doesn't matter. I am stating that the passages in question are not about dress codes.
I agree, yet I'm not sure it didn't include such things as dress under the broad brush umbrella of "associating with them". They were worshiping with unbelievers. What were the practices of those unbelievers in their worship?

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com