Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

Re: The Evangelical Error of Billy Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
I believe that the born again Christian is called to obey the Law of Christ. The Law of Christ is summed up as follows:
1.) Love the LORD your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.
2.) Demonstrate your love for the LORD your God by loving your neighbor as yourself.
Beyond these two commandments, the rest is just circumstantial commentary.
Matthew 22:38-40
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
Romans 13:9-10
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
James 2:8
If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
The essence of biblical Christianity is love. Love for God and love for others. Everything else is dispensational commentary or cultural mores. In any action we must ask ourselves, "Is it loving?" If it isn't loving it will most likely be selfish or malicious. If something isn't loving it is sin.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
A Student of the Word

Actually, Jesus gave over seventy general (universal) 'commands/instructions' that He expected to be followed (observed to do) by His disciples.

Even so, Aquila, you are right. Love is the foundational command. The rest of the commands, however, demonstrate how that love is expected by Jesus to be expressed, and can be summed up with, "... If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me."

How many of the 70 or so instructions can any of us list? How well do any of us understand them and actually "do" them? Or, in other words, how close do we come to being Christ-like in our daily walk? Whom do we obey, Jesus our our own ideas of what a godliness lifestyle should look like?

I submit that most of us (yes, that includes me also) give more mental assent to the concept of being a disciple of Christ than we do in being a true disciple of Christ. Why? Because most professing Christians have not been taught to obey The Master, most do not know what He said He wants us to do! But rather, we have been taught to obey men instead. In most churches I have visited I have found that the pastor gets more love, honor and respect than Jesus does. Yes, that is an indictment.

I recommend that more pastors, preachers and teachers get back to teaching the Bible for what it really says, and leave church dogma and personal agendas out of their sermons.

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 04-09-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM
A Student of the Word

Here is an example of what I am alluding to:

SUPREME LOVE TO GOD

1. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind, and strength" Mark 12:30
2. "God, and Him only shalt thou serve" Matt. 4:10
3. "Worship the Father in spirit and in truth" John 4:23-24
4. "Call no man your father upon the Earth" Matt. 23:9
5. "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God" Matt. 4:7
6. "Fear Him (God) which hath power to cast into hell" Luke 12:5
7. "All men should honor the Son" John 5:22-23

In the first instruction we have how we to love God. But, the real question is this: What does this verse actually mean and how does one ‘do’ it?

In number two, what is the acceptable ‘service’ that God requires, and how do you do it?

In number three, what does this mean and how does one accomplish such worship? The answer may be a little harder to come up with than first meets the eye.

Now, number four is really a hard one, for Greek thinkers. For example, Paul himself refers to himself as Timothy’s father in the faith. Or, does this mean that one is not to call their biological father, father? So, what does this verse really mean?

Next we have number five. How does one ‘tempt’ God? Might have to dig a little for this one.

What are the expected results of ‘fearing’ God?

In number seven we have a rather disquieting note. Why are we to honor the son rather than worshiping Him? Why did Jesus say this, and what was He expecting to see in return? Note: The only other time the phrase “honor God” is found in the bible is Judges 9:9, and honor me (God) in Isa 29:13; 43:20, so this is not a new concept.

Loving God is a verb, not a noun. It requires action on our part – what is it?

Last edited by A.W. Bowman; 04-09-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Fix some English.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned

A.W. Bowman,

Many want a codified law that goes beyond love. It's human instinct. However, when we review the teachings of Jesus we must remember that He was born under the Law. And that on most occasions, He was answering questions relating to the Law to a specific audience. While answering questions relating to the Law or interpreting the Law Jesus often expanded upon the Law, bringing all under condemnation. For example...

Matthew 5:27-28
King James Version (KJV)
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Notice, Jesus is interpreting the Law for the people... while the Law was still in effect. He's getting into the condition of the heart while under the Law. Also notice...
Matthew 5:21-22
King James Version (KJV)
21 Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Same thing. In both of these examples Jesus takes the Law that is currently in effect and expands upon it. The purpose wasn't entirely to inspire... it was to condemn. As Jesus spoke, any person who was honest with themselves would have realized how desperate and helpless they are before God. Who hasn't lusted? Who hasn't been angry with their brother without a real cause? The teachings of Jesus were the spiritual depths and realities of the Law of Moses. These teachings cornered the entire nation and placed them in absolute desperation, needing a Saviour.

So, as we evaluate what many assume are applicable laws of Jesus... we have to keep in mind the context and purpose of Christ's words.

Now, this doesn't mean that we may freely lust or be angry with people. However, the higher Law of Christ (Love) would ask... Is lusting loving? Is anger without a real reason loving? Is being envious and wanting your neighbor's sports car loving? Seeing that none of these things are loving, these acts are sin.

I remember a paper I read on the commandments of Jesus. Most are amazed when they realize how many of those commandments were intended for a Jewish audience under the Law. This isn't to say that all of Christ's teachings are not applicable. However, we must use discernment.

Last edited by Aquila; 04-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Banned

Let's look at some of these:
1. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, mind, and strength" Mark 12:30 (Eternal Law of Love)
2. "God, and Him only shalt thou serve" Matt. 4:10 (Confrontation with Satan affirming Christ's loyalty to the Father)
3. "Worship the Father in spirit and in truth" John 4:23-24 (Prophecy of the New Covenant)
4. "Call no man your father upon the Earth" Matt. 23:9 (Relating to corrupt Pharisaical hierarchy, Paul was Timothy's father in the Gospel)
5. "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God" Matt. 4:7 (Rebuke to Satan for tempting the very Son of God)
6. "Fear Him (God) which hath power to cast into hell" Luke 12:5 (Warning not to fear the Pharisaical powers that be)
7. "All men should honor the Son" John 5:22-23 (Admonition in light of prophecy)
We make it so difficult. When truly, it's so simplistic and universal. Love God. Love others. Love.

Out of the above listing, I walk away with numbers 1 and 7 as still being applicable. And we honor God through our love for Him and our love for others.

Last edited by Aquila; 04-09-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

What we run into is that every time I've seen this listing of commandments... in the end... everyone has a different list. lol

And when trials and temptations come our way... how do we remember all 70 some odd commandments? For example, I remember being asked if I wanted to have a sandwhich at work (they were having a cook out). I smiled and said, "No, thank you. I'm fasting." Later I read,
Matthew 6:17-19
English Standard Version (ESV)
17 But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18 that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Oh no!!! I broke a commandment!!!

I just can't keep all these things straight in my head all the time. lol
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM
A Student of the Word

Yes! I also recommend the reading of all of Matthew chapters five through seven. This sermon provides the foundation for understanding the Law of God and the approach to implementing it.

"Many want a codified law that goes beyond love. It's human instinct. However, when we review the teachings of Jesus we must remember that He was born under the Law. And that on most occasions, He was answering questions relating to the Law to a specific audience. While answering questions relating to the Law or interpreting the Law Jesus often expanded upon the Law, bringing all under condemnation."

A most excellent observation!

Yet, of the seven commands that I listed above, given under the law, are there any that we can disregard "as not being applicable to us today"? The questions I added to each 'command' were given expressly given to assist in understanding both the commands themselves, and to address the very observation you made.

Side note: I indicated that there were over 70 universal commands given by Jesus, I omitted to to say that He gave over 145, but not all were universal.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Rom 13:9
For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I am interested in the 70 (or 145) to be listed...
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
A Student of the Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

I just can't keep all these things straight in my head all the time. lol
LOLOL Right On! The object is not to be made over in a day, but to work on just a few at a time - internalize, so as to create a new lifestyle, a new world view.

If teachers would just start teaching on these, and if folks would embrace the precepts, perhaps we would see some maturity among the saints - and even the teachers!
Old 04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

You guys don't get it. If when we get down to where the rubber meets the road everyone has a slightly different list... we're on an arbitrary sea of subjective reasoning.

Some will have 70 commandments we have to remember, some will have 145. Some will draw from the Law of Moses, some won't. Some will strictly draw from Christ... some will draw from Christ and the teachings of the Apostles. It will be a chaotic mess proving that we are absolutely ignorant of what the Christian faith is truly about.

However, God IS love. Love is the very essence of His being. Therefore, the Law of Christ (love God and love others) exemplifies God's own nature more perfectly than any "law". A person can abide by a law... and not love. However, if a person loves, they will fulfill the spirit of the law.

Besides, law keeping isn't our standard. Jesus is. We are called to be fashioned into the image and likeness of Jesus... not the image and likeness of a one person and his take on how many laws to obey, not a pastor, not a church denomination with their standards, etc. Jesus is the standard... not the standard giver. We are to "image" Jesus to a lost world. We are to become so full of Jesus we become living extentions of Him, branches of the Vine.

It's all about loving... and our very identity becoming lost in... Jesus.

You see, to the legalist, my professing about my fasting was a violation of Matthew 6:17-19 and therefore, it was a sin. However, to the grace keeper, I meant no ill, malice, or harm. I was indeed being loving, kind, and gentle in declining food. Therefore, I did not sin. Now, if I was bragging and making a to do about how "spiritual" I was, it would have been sin.

Thus, the question is... does my lifestyle image Jesus? Do I display love towards God and others (fruit of the Spirit). It doesn't really matter how many little laws, rules, or commandments someone wishes to extrapolate from the Bible. The biggie is love. And interestingly enough, the flesh cries out for a law. It wants to fulfill a standard... to boast, even if one doesn't originally intend it that way. It's the nature of flesh.

The Sermon on the Mount interprets the Law of Moses to all the people gathered around Jesus (while yet still under the law). It gives great teachings, great precepts, kinda like case law from which to base a conclusion. But we are not bound by it. For example, if I have something against a brother and I wish to give a gift... I must set it by the altar and go reconcile with my brother. Frankly, I've never set my gift down in church or aside in house church to go make up with my brother. However, I do see the principle of making up with a brother before offering anything to God in the way of finances or service.

So... if someone were to ask me what a Christian was called to do... I'd answer... a Christian is called to become like Jesus, in actuality, a living extension of Jesus Himself. And we are to love God with all our being and show that love for God by loving others as ourselves. No holy days, dress codes, dietary codes, blah, blah, blah, blah. Now, we do approach our family traditions with love. Does it offend? We approach our dress with love. Does it offend? We approach what we eat with love. Does it offend? Love covers it all. And in putting love into practice... we properly display the fruit of the Spirit.

Oh, how great is our freedom in Jesus! Praise Him. For where the Spirit of the Lord is... there is liberty. We are liberated from laws and rules to do one thing... love.