Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Prepper's Patch
Facebook

Notices

Prepper's Patch Prepping & Planning; Share your practical prepping and survival skills!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Re: Food with the longest shelf life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roagiesgal View Post
That sounds good! We have pantry moth traps, they are organic, and you only use one at a time, they are attracted to it and get stuck and die! Hopefully before they laid any eggs. We try to keep things sealed up best we can, but you still can get those nasty moths.

That is part of our prepping also to have infestation controls, as natural as we can. We live in a neighborhood with a lot of old timber and we have had rat issues in the past...(that is another story) So we have the run though bate boxes for them, and traps for mice. and You can even get traps for flies which we have, they don't smell good; that is why the flies like them; so you want to be able to hang them away from your house, but they do work.
Actually you would do well to have a few classic mouse traps around. You never know when you may need to catch your meat.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
Actually you would do well to have a few classic mouse traps around. You never know when you may need to catch your meat.
LOL...we do have the old fashion mouse traps, I hope we never have to eat the mice...oh mercy, we have a lot of squirrels, (we call them rat's in costume), we feed them so we always have several of them around.

The newest thing we are looking into is Aquaponics, you can grow fish and food in the same system. We are going to start off small with 5 gallon buckets and gold fish, then if we are successful will go bigger so we can have fish we can eat. Very excited about this one. Maybe then we won't have to resort to eating mice...YIKES!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL...we do have the old fashion mouse traps, I hope we never have to eat the mice...oh mercy, we have a lot of squirrels, (we call them rat's in costume), we feed them so we always have several of them around.

The newest thing we are looking into is Aquaponics, you can grow fish and food in the same system. We are going to start off small with 5 gallon buckets and gold fish, then if we are successful will go bigger so we can have fish we can eat. Very excited about this one. Maybe then we won't have to resort to eating mice...YIKES!
On season 2 of Doomsday Preppers they showed a family near our house who have a chicken coop/garden/swimming pool converted to a Talapia farm. They grow 95-98% of their own food in the middle of the desert!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL...We are going to start off small with 5 gallon buckets and gold fish, then if we are successful will go bigger so we can have fish we can eat.
Great idea. But don't discount eating goldfish too. It would take me maybe 24-48 hrs of emergency situation to get used to eating goldfish.

Here's some goldie-eatin' fun. But stunt eating is very easy to fake for those trained in sleight-of-hand. This guy probably just wants to meet girls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT4vZRH_t4Q

Deeply JN Apostolic: 1978-1999.
Happily agnostic/atheist 2011 to present.

Good news! The gospel boils down to, "Love me
or I will destroy you." --A god.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM
On the road less traveled

I've heard that freeze-dried foods are the best lasting products out there, next to canned foods and mylar bags with oxygen.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I've heard that freeze-dried foods are the best lasting products out there, next to canned foods and mylar bags with oxygen.
We have eaten freeze dried food for a long time now...back in the 70's we used to do a lot of back packing and that was all we had, other than the fresh fish we would catch!

Now its a huge part of our pantry...we have individual things like fruits, veggies, and meats...but also entrees, we really like it all. I incorporate a lot of it into my everyday cooking.

We did a instant milk test and came up with what we feel is the best tasting of the ones we tried...often what you buy in the store tastes like the box it came in. I had found a web site one day that had done their taste test so I took the ones I knew about and then ordered one can of each...I mixed some up of each and did a blind test...we all picked one over the others, now that is all we use and I like not having to take space in the refrigerator with gallons of milk. The cost is about the same as milk bought at Costco...

The one challenge I have not concurred yet is 1/2&1/2 which I use in my coffee...I know I am a sissy and don't like it black. I hate the flavor stuff and or the powdered but I think I am going to have to settle for the powder...
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
On season 2 of Doomsday Preppers they showed a family near our house who have a chicken coop/garden/swimming pool converted to a Talapia farm. They grow 95-98% of their own food in the middle of the desert!
That's a pretty ingenious system!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBee View Post
Great idea. But don't discount eating goldfish too. It would take me maybe 24-48 hrs of emergency situation to get used to eating goldfish.

I don't think I will be eating them....oh mercy! That is just gross, but I am glad its just a prank! I can't imagine. Funny though

Last edited by The Mrs; 04-04-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: fix quote tag
Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I wonder though about the health benefits of the food you are consuming. What do you know about that?

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I remember seeing that one...and that is our goal to get to the big edible fish, but we don't want to make a huge investment and then not have it work for us. It seems like the perfect answer to growing a lot of food.