Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Sunday School > Soul Winners Haven
Facebook

Notices

Soul Winners Haven Discuss soul winning topics here.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:32 AM
Mama to four little angels.

Re: House Church - How It's Done.

I really, really miss the home church I was a part of when I was younger.

It was a pretty cool deal. I'm not sure when, or where, it started (I suspect one family over the rest, but I never asked). There were multiple meetings a month, on different nights, in different homes. Usually they followed a set pattern, every other Friday at 7, every Tuesday at 5, things like that. But not always. It was one group of people, but we very rarely all met together at once.

God did it for us. Out of sheer generosity he put us in right standing with himself. A pure gift. He got us out of the mess we're in and restored us to where he always wanted us to be. And he did it by means of Jesus Christ. ~Romans 3:24 from The Message
Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Still Figuring It Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahkoe View Post
I really, really miss the home church I was a part of when I was younger.

It was a pretty cool deal. I'm not sure when, or where, it started (I suspect one family over the rest, but I never asked). There were multiple meetings a month, on different nights, in different homes. Usually they followed a set pattern, every other Friday at 7, every Tuesday at 5, things like that. But not always. It was one group of people, but we very rarely all met together at once.
Yes'm... I need to start one here where I am. It is 20 miles any direction to a oneness work and there isn't a oneness church in this town at all.

So far I have taken the easy route and worked to help an already established church about 20 miles away.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 PM
The Eyes of the Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
The house churches I've attended were very simple models. One person hosted the group meeting in their home. There wasn't an official "pastor" in the sense that we understand it. The office of "pastor" is a calling... not a political position in the group. Therefore out of a group of 15 people 3 men or more might have the calling of "pastor" on their lives. This means that they work together as "elders" to spiritually shepherd the believers attending. Everyone's calling is acknowledged. Everyone was encouraged to search the Scriptures and bring what they felt the Spirit leading them to bring. All were encouraged to bring edifying messages. Rebukes were to be dealt with privately unless the individual continued in sinful rebellion. Everyone took turns sharing their "insight" or "message". The messages weren't intended to be very long or "profoundly entertaining". They were very short... but STRONG. There was little need for using drawn out illustrations or timed humor. It was just people sharing the Word and opening up together.

Something else struck me... there wasn't a push for "members". There was just a push for "sharing Jesus" with everyone. They weren't focused on building a congregation and getting a building, but instead the focus was "the Kingdom of God." This is why they didn't mind seeing new faces every week. They looked at it like they were opening their home and ministry up for all to freely visit and receive something from God. Individuals could stay or go as they pleased, their prayers were simply that the individual grew in their walk with Jesus and became more firmly rooted in "the Kingdom". They were strongly encouraged to have an "elder friend" they could turn to for spiritual advice and counsel. But for the most part it was really just a service to all who could come and go as they felt led.

It was really neat.
That sounds refreshing. These days people need to go somewhere where there is no pressure or complication. We have made fellowshipping so complicated in an attempt to draw more people, we have strayed away from the simplicity of the gospel.

Jesus didn't reach sinners in the church; He met them where they were. Wherever there was a need.

He only went into the church(es) to announce his ministry and to rebuke the religious.

Gives us all something to think about, uh?

Love & peace...
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Keith View Post
We just moved into a larger house, we rented it just because of its size for small groups. It is 2700 sq. feet. Two living areas, 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, and large kitchen set up for entertaining. I have anywhere between 15-50 people show up. This year we focusing much more on small group/House church than ever before, I am trying to raise our awarness and leaders who can take it and run with it.
Probably a good tax write-off too if you're using it for church purposes?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
You are right, house churches tend to have fewer drop in visitors. But for house churches the push is "personal evangelism" for every member. The Gospel is only shared as individuals share their testimonies and the message with other individuals. Sometimes I've seen tracts used, but it's typically encouraged that you speak and invite people by word of mouth.

House churches are often very disenchanted by the corporatized advertising of the church. Churches are typically trying to get lit signs, brochures, radio spots, and all this hoopla that the Apostles never used, all to attract visitors. House churchers believe that the best method is the simplest method... just have individuals share their stories, present the Gospel, and invite folks. Often house churchers get people's curiosity going by telling folks it's fine to be a Christian but don't go to church, be the church. Also house churchers emphasize that the house church rarely wants any money.

I believe there is a place for both traditional churches and house churches. However, I believe that house churches are far more biblical. Perhaps the very best model for America at this point is a traditional church with a cell group approach that is freestyle.
"Compell them to come."
If Apostles were here today, you think they'd ignore such effective tools?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Those that do House Church, do you see a need for a once each quarter or month corporate worship setting or activity? It's always encouraging and refreshing to see a mass body of believers.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingPains View Post
Probably a good tax write-off too if you're using it for church purposes?
Nope. Most house churches don't have official clergy or religious incorporation. They don't collect tithes and free will offerings are made specifically for the needs of it's members. I've never never known or read about a house church elder (pastor) who didn't work a full time job to support their family. There's absolutely no money in it.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
"Compell them to come."
If Apostles were here today, you think they'd ignore such effective tools?
Growing, America has more churches than almost any other nation on earth. However, church attendance is steadily dropping. Fewer Americans are in church today than ever before and the number is growing every year. The traditional church is loosing America. Tell me... why is this so if these "effective tools" are so effective?

Think about it. My friend Scott started a house church with 7 individuals in his home. About a year later hey had grown to about 20 and divided into two different groups in two different homes. That was a little over years ago. He now has 6 groups meeting in different homes, each with over ten adult members. That's sixty people. Each church plans on multiplying again by the year's end producing an estimated 12 house churches with approximately 10 members each. And if after a years time these churches can multiple we're talking 24 different home groups with around ten members each. (So far 15 is the steady average). These groups will be spread throughout the city in nearly every quarter. If this growth continues. in 5 years their footprint will be larger than any church in town.

Simple Churches (also known as house churches) will start a church wherever they can find an accommodating roof. You can find them in houses, condos, half doubles, and large apartments. Some even meet in parks and public recreation facilities. They are dedicated to never owning "church property". You tell me which model has the greatest potential to reach America's inner-cities and suburbs. Also the mission of a house church isn't to gain "members". It's to train leaders and multiply by forming additional house churches. Scott once said that the vision he has from God is that every attendee attending house meetings become a host and perhaps an elder of a house church. Hosting is considered a BIG ministry. Some house church pastors pastor their groups in the large home of a hospitable attendee. This "gift of hospitality" is greatly cherished in the movement. If you own a large home... even if you're not called to teach or preach the Gospel, you can be a foundational part of the Kingdom of God by opening your home.

Last edited by Aquila; 07-09-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Those that do House Church, do you see a need for a once each quarter or month corporate worship setting or activity? It's always encouraging and refreshing to see a mass body of believers.
Some do. I'd encourage renting a facility to meet as a corporate body at least once a quarter. These meetings could be like a revival weekends with speakers from the fellowship speaking Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday Evening, and Sunday Morning. House churches could then resume meeting in their designated homes Sunday night.

This way house churches will ever loose sight of the larger body of Christ.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

A powerful poem I found:
The Church and The World

The Church and the world walked far apart
On the changing shores of time:
The world was singing a giddy song,
And the Church a hymn sublime.
“Come, give me your hand”, cried the merry world,
“And walk with me this way.”
But the good Church hid her snowy hand,