Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Politics in Fellowship

I'd like to petition the Chief Apostolic Friend to consider restricting political discussions to the political...place, and automatically moving any of these discussions that get posted...anywhere else.

I'm sure most of you that care are familiar now with my position here, and I'm not interested in forcing this opinion on anyone else; however, I think it can fairly be said that at the very least, "Politics" does not well represent a Christian, and may send a confusing message to a casual reader who has come here thirsty for Word.

I would further petition that the political room be delisted from "new posts" for the same reason, that being that "new posts" is a virtual front page here, and political threads confined to their place become "featured" on another virtual front page, currently.

My final petition would be to then eliminate entirely the political...cesspool area, and this suggestion has the advantage of being the most efficient of the 3, imo. I find any argument that Christians need another forum for political discussion to be the definition of oxymoronic, and would like to hear thoughts on this.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Re: Politics in Fellowship

I would like to petition you to go join a monastary or an endtime cult compound in the mountains somewhere so you can just go wait for Jesus to come.

Your request is absurd and will be treated that way.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
I would like to petition you to go join a monastary or an endtime cult compound in the mountains somewhere so you can just go wait for Jesus to come.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ah, you wish to repeat your little joke at my expense. Well, the answer is the same as on the other thread, so I'll just copy/paste here,

"...Your assertion that this government somehow holds sway over my "religious freedom" is an illusion that proceeds from all the false premises outlined above, and a brief glance at the dichotomy between any earthly government you care to name and its people should express volumes to you about which of our viewpoints here are more truly "of the world," and which "in the world." If you can find anyone that feels that your average politician is "one of us; of the people," then I'll be forced to agree with you here, and suddenly I am not feeling so alone.

As to your final paragraph, I think "escaping the world" has just been pretty fairly demonstrated, and the Bible is clear on this subject of having one's ship in a proverbial port, and not at sea, also. I find the parallels to Congress and monastic life compelling here...

...I am not "waiting for Christ to come," in the sense that is generally accepted and I suppose you mean. Christ has already come, to documented universal misunderstanding. The kingdom of Heaven is among us, and the common view you espouse of His second coming is negated by waiting. It is waiting for you; you should not be waiting for it. As long as you expect revelations from the Revelation, you will be disappointed."
http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com...t=38498&page=2
post #11

I'm sorry that you find the request to refrain from, or at least quarantine political discussions to an appropriate, or at least slightly more appropriate place, ie your "political" room, to be absurd. It was made in good faith, and I wish your answer might have been.

I'll assume you are the final authority here? and thank you for your time.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 02-10-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Any pastor keeping "politics" out of his preaching is dead wrong!~
The sheep need to be informed about what our government(s) are doing.
Evil governments need to be exposed by the shepherds.
Christians have no business voting for abortion promoters and same sex marriage promoters.
Wake up!
Get politics back into the churches!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
Christians have no business voting for abortion promoters and same sex marriage promoters.
Wake up!
I would add big government wealth redistributers who believe the average citizen should not be allowed to carry or even own firearms.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
I'd like to petition the Chief Apostolic Friend to consider restricting political discussions to the political...place, and automatically moving any of these discussions that get posted...anywhere else.

I'm sure most of you that care are familiar now with my position here, and I'm not interested in forcing this opinion on anyone else; however, I think it can fairly be said that at the very least, "Politics" does not well represent a Christian, and may send a confusing message to a casual reader who has come here thirsty for Word.

I would further petition that the political room be delisted from "new posts" for the same reason, that being that "new posts" is a virtual front page here, and political threads confined to their place become "featured" on another virtual front page, currently.

My final petition would be to then eliminate entirely the political...cesspool area, and this suggestion has the advantage of being the most efficient of the 3, imo. I find any argument that Christians need another forum for political discussion to be the definition of oxymoronic, and would like to hear thoughts on this.
Let me give the interpretation here:
"I find that I am out-numbered here and cannot defend the left-wing views that I espouse."
For all of bb's great rantings against politics, he/she somehow manages to post on every political thread that we have.
And almost always manages to throw in something from the left-wing talking points.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

It's my opinion that Christians should not support left wing politicians.
We have to many marxists in government the way it is.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dordrecht View Post
Wake up!
You should just supercede them, and live up to your avatar.