Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

When did we start preaching...

Seems that the Pentecostal church has a "progressing" doctrine. What I mean is that since 1901 we seems to add (sometimes subtract) to our doctrine or beliefs.

When did the UPC or Oneness movement establish standards of holiness? Are there any old documents available to read on debates about holiness from the old days?
I'd like to hear a teaching or read an article from the 20th Century Pentecostal Fathers about hair and dress (PRE-Ruth Reider). What brought them to these conclusions...

IF the AG shared the same standards of holiness when did they drop them?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM

As I recall-

The Pentecostal Outpouring was mainly among those already involved in The Holiness Movement

William Seymour picked a Nazarene (Holiness) church first in Los Angeles, and was asked to leave as I recall. He then went to the house on Bonnie Brae (help me here someone) and the crowd grew so large they eventually broke the porch from the weight of the bystanders. They then looked for a larger meeting hall and found the former stable (again help me here someone) on Azusa Street.

Here is a site with a timeline
Old 12-13-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPastor View Post

there are three types of AG churches in our area as told by a former AG Preacher who also was an AG Bible School graduate.

1- Traditional churches. Believe in "old fashioned holiness and worship"

2- Modern Worship churches. Very demonstrative services and outreach programs- Would fit in with Chris Tomlin or Darlene Szcheck concerts

3- Reformation churches believe have a strong belief in all receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Accepts all friends requests

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoPastor View Post
Seems that the Pentecostal church has a "progressing" doctrine. What I mean is that since 1901 we seems to add (sometimes subtract) to our doctrine or beliefs.

When did the UPC or Oneness movement establish standards of holiness? Are there any old documents available to read on debates about holiness from the old days?
I'd like to hear a teaching or read an article from the 20th Century Pentecostal Fathers about hair and dress (PRE-Ruth Reider). What brought them to these conclusions...

The orthodox among the Jews in Hellenistic times were scadalized by the way Hellenized Jews dressed. There was a tremendous uproar reported by Josephus when an outdoor gymnasium opened within eyesight of the Temple Mount. Athletes would work out nude and could be seen from the elevated platform of the outer court areas.

People have argued about the parameters for modesty since even before that. The old time Methodists were actually better at the debate than we are. They counted the financial cost of appearal and ornaments and scolded some ladies for being immodest with the lace in their hats.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:08 AM
philjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
The orthodox among the Jews in Hellenistic times were scadalized by the way Hellenized Jews dressed. There was a tremendous uproar reported by Josephus when an outdoor gymnasium opened within eyesight of the Temple Mount. Athletes would work out nude and could be seen from the elevated platform of the outer court areas.

People have argued about the parameters for modesty since even before that. The old time Methodists were actually better at the debate than we are. They counted the financial cost of appearal and ornaments and scolded some ladies for being immodest with the lace in their hats.
Pelathais,

At one time I had a 1901 Methodist Discipline. Unfortunately it has disappeared along with a few other of my treasured old books.

It was the most stringent thing you could ever imagine. It told how many undergarments and how many aprons a woman needed to wear to be holy. It taught against comic books or the funny papers. it was unbelievable how strict they were.

What is even more amazing is that in just over a century that ultra strict group is now ordaining homosexuals to the ministry. I know the slippery slope is scoffed at but there is probably no church exemplifies the dangers of totally loosing one's self from their moorings. The danger is that we untie the wrong mooring rope and lose our anchor to Jesus while getting free from so much else that may unnecessarily be holding us in place.