Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

Warring tongue? Never heard of that one.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Formerly known as CareyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
Warring tongue? Never heard of that one.
Me neither.

I've heard some pretty interesting tongues, but does it matter what it sounds like if it's the Holy Ghost. I remember Sis. Freeman telling a story of a woman who spoke with tongues...it was a clicking sound. Well, the people in her church did not believe it was tongues and scoffed her. Sis. Freeman came to this church and recognized the tongues this woman spake was an African language of an extremely small group of people that the Freeman's once came across in their travels.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyM View Post
Me neither.

I've heard some pretty interesting tongues, but does it matter what it sounds like if it's the Holy Ghost. I remember Sis. Freeman telling a story of a woman who spoke with tongues...it was a clicking sound. Well, the people in her church did not believe it was tongues and scoffed her. Sis. Freeman came to this church and recognized the tongues this woman spake was an African language of an extremely small group of people that the Freeman's once came across in their travels.
Yes, it's indeed true that many "tribal" languages, particularly in the southern part of the African continent, use clicks in their language.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:40 PM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

One of the most amazing things I ever saw was a man who spoke in tongues... with his hands.

Back in the early 70's, when the church I was attending first opened, we had a deaf/mute woman who attended. No one in the church (at the time) knew sign language, but she never missed a service though she had no idea as to what was being said or done. A man started coming to church and repented and was filled with the Holy Ghost. When he spoke in tongues, he did so with his hands. The woman, seeing this, began to watch him... and began to write down what he was saying. He'd "sign" all the way through service, repeating almost word for word what was being said. The woman began to understand repentance, baptism, etc... and repented of her sins. She later recieved the Holy Ghost and spoke... yes, SPOKE, in tongues, audibly. The most beautiful prayer language I have ever heard.

Oh, yes, the "signing" brother? Never took a sign language course, and had no idea what he was saying or doing. That proved to me without a doubt that tongues is real!

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I believe the Gospel of Jesus

There are more than 2,796 known languages and dialects in the world. Then there are also the tongues of angels. Not to mention the language of groanings which cannot be uttered with articulate speech.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Accepts all friends requests

There are some Charismatic/Pentecostal groups who talk about praying in a "warring tongue." The idea that they have is that you are to rebuke the devil, bind spirits and etc. by agressively speaking in tongues.

I've heard others who tried to disuade people from doing this based upon 2 Peter 2:11 and Jude 1:9.

Without knowing the context and also all of the things that the pastor/evangelist may be dealing with locally it's only speculation as to what's going on.

Personally I don't think we need to bring railing accusations or to shout ourselves hoarse in battling the adversary. The desire to do so may be symptomatic of other issues or may be caused by people just copying the behavior of others that they see.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelathais View Post
There are some Charismatic/Pentecostal groups who talk about praying in a "warring tongue." The idea that they have is that you are to rebuke the devil, bind spirits and etc. by agressively speaking in tongues.

I've heard others who tried to disuade people from doing this based upon 2 Peter 2:11 and Jude 1:9.

Without knowing the context and also all of the things that the pastor/evangelist may be dealing with locally it's only speculation as to what's going on.

Personally I don't think we need to bring railing accusations or to shout ourselves hoarse in battling the adversary. The desire to do so may be symptomatic of other issues or may be caused by people just copying the behavior of others that they see.
I think this is all absurd and unbiblical. Tongues are not meant for rebuking devils. Paul did it in a langauge he knew. Tongues are supposed to be a language we do NOT know so then I have to wonder how can someone willfully rebuke anything in tongues?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Saved & Shaved

I was a teen:
I was sleeping peacefully and woke. Looked to the foot of my bed and there was a being. I said something in 'tongues' and fell asleep in an instant.

I didn't scream or anything.. but that's what happened.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-larry View Post
There are more than 2,796 known languages and dialects in the world. Then there are also the tongues of angels. Not to mention the language of groanings which cannot be uttered with articulate speech.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnologue

Ethnologue: Languages of the World is a web and print publication of SIL International (formerly known as the Summer Institute of Linguistics), a Christian linguistic service organization which studies lesser-known languages primarily to provide the speakers with Bibles in their native language.

The Ethnologue contains statistics for 6,912 languages in the 15th edition, released in 2005 (up from 6,809 in the 14th edition, released 2000) and gives the number of speakers, location, dialects, linguistic affiliations, availability of the Bible, and so forth. It is currently the most comprehensive existing language inventory, along with the Linguasphere Register. However, some information regarding more esoteric languages is quite dated.
------------------------------
I take it this does not include dead and extinct languages

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
I was a teen:
I was sleeping peacefully and woke. Looked to the foot of my bed and there was a being. I said something in 'tongues' and fell asleep in an instant.

I didn't scream or anything.. but that's what happened.
Did you wake up with a micro implant in the back of your neck?

Keep looking....