Facebook

Notices

Marriage Matters For discussion of Marital issues

Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Re: Divorce and remarriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Obviously it is God’s will that couples would not divorce.

BUT . . .

Are you saying that fornication is not a valid reason for divorce?
James reads things into scripture that he thinks should be there. His views constitute a hermeneutical Hindenberg.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Obviously it is God’s will that couples would not divorce.

BUT . . .

Are you saying that fornication is not a valid reason for divorce?
Fornication is before marriage, adultery is after marriage
To the people who were under the law Moses allowed a writ of divorcement if the spouse was found to have committed fornication. That was supposed to be pure. This is a whole different culture than today. Where people are rarely virgins when entering marriage.
The fornication clause was only applicable to those who lived under Moses law, up until Jesus brought the gospel/will of God. Which we know from the beginning and now reinstated did not condone putting away even in a situation of unfaithfulness.
Remember what God said to Israel, “I’m married to you”
This he said because he wanted the relationship fixed , because it was the only righteous alternative. This is also Gods view on marriage. Fix it or remain unmarried.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james34 View Post
Fornication is before marriage, adultery is after marriage
To the people who were under the law Moses allowed a writ of divorcement if the spouse was found to have committed fornication. That was supposed to be pure. This is a whole different culture than today. Where people are rarely virgins when entering marriage.

Yet you ignore the parts of the Law that contradict your teaching. Sorry. To be consistent you would have to say it is a sin for a Christian to break off an engagement for any reason other than fornication. But since you are not consistent, you will ignore this point as well.

The fornication clause was only applicable to those who lived under Moses law, up until Jesus brought the gospel/will of God. Which we know from the beginning and now reinstated did not condone putting away even in a situation of unfaithfulness.

Nor did it forbid it!!

Remember what God said to Israel, “I’m married to you”
This he said because he wanted the relationship fixed , because it was the only righteous alternative. This is also Gods view on marriage. Fix it or remain unmarried.

And then he divorced her!!

Old 02-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Only after a death took place, but you know this. Yet I have to post the scripture.

Romans 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Uh, no.

The "hard saying" Jesus spoke of was a remark regarding the disciples' comment, "It is better that a man not marry." Jesus concurred and Paul echoed that in I Corinthians 7. The Law was clear that men could divorce and remarry. Thus they would have had no concept that doing so would send them to hell or that it was a matter of salvation to remain single if one had a living spouse they were divorced from. How easy it is to refute your claims. Context, context, context.

What "scripture" would they have been obeying at that point that said to be saved a divorced man could not remarry if he had a living spouse? The scripture said nothing of this. It affirmed that their second marriages were valid and forbade reconciliation if the estranged wife married another. Yet you refuse to answer any of these points. No surprise.

Bump
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Only after a death took place, but you know this. Yet I have to post the scripture.

Romans 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God
Then by your thinking, we must ignore what Jesus said in Matthew 19, as he was interpreting the true spirit of the Law, not abolishing it.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:03 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

"The fornication clause was only applicable to those who lived under Moses law, up until Jesus brought the gospel/will of God."

Wait, what? This is a new twist on the subject. I've never heard anyone claim the fornication exception was only for those under the law until Jesus came?

If that's true, then everything Jesus said about marriage, divorce, and remarriage was only for those under the law before the gospel came. Including His statements about remarriage being adultery, etc.

I'm not even going to address the claim that the law of God was somehow "not God's will", as if God's will is one thing, and His law is a different and contrary thing.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Sorry the fornication clause doesn’t fit the rest of New Testament scripture. I may be off on the “ it being only for those who lived under the law”, but fornication is the act before marriage, so address it any way you like.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Also someone should explain how the will of God from the beginning changed , if God doesn’t change.
Do you all suggest that God accepted what he abhors?

He said, “ I hate putting away”.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry the fornication clause doesn’t fit the rest of New Testament scripture. I may be off on the “ it being only for those who lived under the law”, but fornication is the act before marriage, so address it any way you like.
Obviously you do not know the real meaning of "fornication" if you think it can only happen before or outside of marriage.