Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
My Family!

Re: DKB Shares His Vision: Apostolic Identity,

Pick and choose -- surely, you really don't want to go there now do you?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourimary View Post
But not everyone has that option. If you don't like it and try to go to another church, they may say that you have a bad spirit or are rebellious. They may not even accept you as a member, even if they do let you sit on a pew (and not all will). And almost certainly wherever you go there will be something else unlikeable that pops up eventually.

Of course, if they won't let you come, you're considered reprobate if you go to the Trinity church down the road, too...

I wish pastors would stop fighting over people and let them live for God. I've seen too many people walk out because they felt it was the only option left.
Pastors that tell people "don't like it you need to leave" should remember that scripture they love to hoist over people about "giving account," for they will surely have to account for their own sloppy pride.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAII View Post
There you have it ... you can't wear undies or gloves.
Or how about?

Deut 22:8 - - how many railings do we see around roofs these days?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuteronomyCh8 View Post
People seem to be playing "pick-n-choose" with Old Testament verses.
That is exactly right. Some folks pich and choose verse 5 and ignore the rest of the chapter. For consistency we need to also have standards against wearing cotton and polyester at the same time. (Garment of divers sort) and we need fringes.... gotta have the fringes in order to line up to verse 17.

Picking and choosing can work both ways....

My Countdown Counting down to: End of the World
It's all over, fat lady done sang...
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
Yes, but it does not give the ministry the right to make heaven or hell issues out of what boils down to a minister's or group of minister's preferences.

The whole "Apostolic Identity" thing is just another wall that allows them to define who is "apostolic" and who is not. And of course to judge as lost anyone who ain't just like us.

That kinda thing is precisely why I would never join the UPCI or even attend a UPCI church outside of an occasional visit.

But like I said previously, it is their org they can do what they want with it. But I do feel for the folks who have close ties through family. I don't have any close ties in it except for a few friends.
John, I'm convinced that attitude is why so many OP's don't get involved in Charity and Community Service. Many of the other false doctrine churches and even secular people are doing it. They don't get the solo credit for it. It's not a distinction for them among other so-called Christians. They weren't the first on the scene. So they minimize it with grossly distorted interpretations of scripture like "the poor you will have with you always" (while ignoring the enormity of scripture concerning the poor, and the context of Jesus's words in the process).
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
If it can't be backed up you just play the "authority" card.......so why bother discussing with you?
Well I guess we would have to look at Moses for this answer. Or Paul.....or Peter. Your argument is only Valid to a certain extent. Why bother going to church if the pastor doesnt carry any discretion.

They murmured against Moses as well. So now what. Hey you have ALL the ANSWERS.....You dont need a preacher! You know the BIBLE. YOU know what you believe. Theres no need for church or the ministry....Correct???
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
People seem to be playing "pick-n-choose" with Old Testament verses. They want the twenty-third Psalm, the hundredth Psalm, and all the OT verses that won’t affect their lifestyle, but then they try to explain away any OT verse that would have any effect on how they live.

2 Timothy 3:16 - ALL SCRIPTURE is given by inspiration of God, and IS PROFITABLE for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

But I GUESS 1 Corinthians 11 want do it for you either ...will it?

Is not Deuteronomy 22:5 scripture? If so, then it is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. Preachers, will you be like so many of the mockers of today and cut these verses out of your Bible as Jehoiakim did? Or will you stand like Paul and be able to say,

"And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house," - Acts 20:20

Let’s look at I Corinthians 10:1-11.

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand.
Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents.
Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.
Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Throughout this passage Paul continually uses the Old Testament to prove something. Focus on verses 6 and 11. Paul tells us that those OT writings are for us today.

I suppose Paul would be called a legalist or a Pharisee by the mockers. Just because something is in the OT does not negate it from being applicable for us in the church age. Any commandment or teaching in the OT that is repeated in the NT is for us.
Who is "picking and choosing" here?

Read the preceding versus of your favorite Deuteronomy passage. Read the proceeding verses. Read the levitical laws. Let's obey it all! No picking and choosing.

Okay, so then we use hermeneutics. First, we determine what the Text meant to Israel. Second, what was the authorial intent? Third, what was the timeless principle. Finally, what does that mean to us today?

The fact that both men and women wore robes in Deuteronomy 22 should be a "DUH" bell for us. Some choose to read in it their own interpretations. Just be honest!

So I ask you, what commandment in the OT was concerning bifurcated clothing?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
My Family!

Quote:
Well I guess we would have to look at Moses for this answer. Or Paul.....or Peter. Your argument is only Valid to a certain extent. Why bother going to church if the pastor doesnt carry any discretion.

They murmured against Moses as well. So now what. Hey you have ALL the ANSWERS.....You dont need a preacher! You know the BIBLE. YOU know what you believe. Theres no need for church or the ministry....Correct???
I don't go to church for answers.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
I don't go to church for answers.
ROFL!!!
Hebrews 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy is set at liberty

More New Stuff in Timmy Talk!
My Countdown Counting down to: Rapture. Again.
Why am I not surprised?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Atkinson View Post
That is exactly right. Some folks pich and choose verse 5 and ignore the rest of the chapter. For consistency we need to also have standards against wearing cotton and polyester at the same time. (Garment of divers sort) and we need fringes.... gotta have the fringes in order to line up to verse 17.

Picking and choosing can work both ways....
Your mockery of the scriptures is not amusing. Tell me your complaint. (?) Other than you have an axe to grind with any preacher that steps on your TV or anything YOU dont want to give up or comply with.