Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Non-Traditional Oneness Pentecostal Standards

Some have taken exception to the inference that the more liberal among us are labeled as "being without standards" or "non standards churches".

I too think this is a misrepresentation of many - who don't keep all the traditional conservative Christian disciplines, but are in fact, holding to a more conservative standard than the mainstream denominational churches.

So this thread will be your sounding board. Tell us why and how you are differentiating from the mainstream denominations and what standards might be observed in your church that are absent (or lacking) in others.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL
Re: Non-Traditional Oneness Pentecostal Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Some have taken exception to the inference that the more liberal among us are labeled as "being without standards" or "non standards churches".

I too think this is a misrepresentation of many - who don't keep all the traditional conservative Christian disciplines, but are in fact, holding to a more conservative standard than the mainstream denominational churches.

So this thread will be your sounding board. Tell us why and how you are differentiating from the mainstream denominations and what standards might be observed in your church that are absent (or lacking) in others.
Do you really wanna open that can of worms???

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:18 AM
ultra con (at least here)

Good thought Steve.

Also perhaps a discussion on new and better terminology we as a community can use.

Even among those that follow 'traditional holiness' to call something a 'standard' by definition means its not essential to salvation.

And definitely NOT trying to rehash any old standards type debate. Without going into specifics what would be better terminology IF you believe something to be necessary to salvation?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfam6 View Post
Do you really wanna open that can of worms???
Absolutely. This should be a good discussion and one that has not been explored much.

This thread is not about the UPC or other conservative "standard" keeping groups.

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-05-2008, 11:21 AM

And I too am weary of our lingo saying this church or that church is "without" standards.

Most churches represented here have what mainstream churches would call very high standards or codes of conduct they expect.

For example, our church holds to a "platform standard" as far as dress etc. which it does not hold to be necessary to salvation.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I will never forget the day on FCF when I said to someone that I believed in "outward holiness," as if to say that she didn't.

She very sweetly said, "But Barb, I believe in outward holiness, too."

She was telling me without telling me off that not 'looking like me' in every area didn't mean she didn't have any values as far as dress...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
Good thought Steve.

Also perhaps a discussion on new and better terminology we as a community can use.

Even among those that follow 'traditional holiness' to call something a 'standard' by definition means its not essential to salvation.

And definitely NOT trying to rehash any old standards type debate. Without into specifics what would be better terminology IF you believe something to be necessary to salvation?

As to the bolded part... that should come from those in that mindset. They would be a very small minority here on AFF.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Griffin View Post
And I too am weary of our lingo saying this church or that church is "without" standards.

Most churches represented here have what mainstream churches would call very high standards or codes of conduct they expect.

For example, our church holds to a "platform standard" as far as dress etc. which it does not hold to be necessary to salvation.

As does our UPC church.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
As to the bolded part... that should come from those in that mindset. They would be a very small minority here on AFF.
True Steve,

But don't the majority here allow themselves to fall victim to using the same terminology?
Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
I will never forget the day on FCF when I said to someone that I believed in "outward holiness," as if to say that she didn't.

She very sweetly said, "But Barb, I believe in outward holiness, too."

She was telling me without telling me off that not 'looking like me' in every area didn't mean she didn't have any values as far as dress...
True Barb,

Guess that's the point, there is a difference between not having a traditional holiness look and not having "any" standards of dress?