Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
holy spirit, tongues

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Receiving The Holy Spirit & Speaking In Tongues

√ This May Be Helpful To Other Apostolics To Confirm The Biblical Fact That Everryone Who Receives The Holy Spirit Will Speak In Tongues. And May Help Them Explain It To Others and The Difference Between The Sign Of Tongues And The Gift Of Tongues.

So Here We Go.

Acts 10:44 - 48.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

The Holy Ghost is another word for the Spirit of God or the Spirit of Jesus. In reference to the Godhead, Ephesians 4;4 says that there is only "one Spirit". The Holy Ghost, Spirit of God, Spirit of Christ, and Spirit of the Lord are all the same Spirit, the same person. Also, accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior, and receiving Jesus, are two different things. Remember, the Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Jesus, and when you receive the Holy Ghost, you receive Jesus. And as you receive Him, that is, when you are filled with His Spirit, you will begin speaking with other tongues.

In Matthew 11;28, Jesus says, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest". And in Isaiah 28;11&12, it says, "For with stammering lips and another tongue He will speak to this people, To whom He said, This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest, And, This is the refreshing”. So this stammering lips and speaking with other tongues, this is the rest, this is you being filled with the Holy Ghost and receiving the rest that Jesus promised to give to them that come to Him. So, yes, speaking with other tongues still exists, and is the evidence or sign of you receiving the Holy Ghost, of you receiving Jesus.

Many professing believers confuse this tongue with the gift of tongues. That's not what this is. But some believers do speak with the gift of tongues when they first receive the Holy Spirit. Those are the ones who've been given the gift of tongues. But there are two kinds of tongues.

1) There's the sign of tongues that every believer experiences who receives the gift of the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 28;11 & 12).

In 1 Corinthians 14;14 & 15, Paul says,
"14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding." Now he's talking about praying and worshiping, both with the spirit, meaning with tongues, and with the understanding, meaning not with tongues.

This is what every believer experiences who receives the Holy Spirit, and is not a message, and is not interpreted, but it's the Spirit of Christ in us making intercession for us in prayer and worship unto God in the language of the Spirit.

2) And there's the gift of tongues, as mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13, which is only given to some believers, not every believer, and is a message.

The gift of tongues is is a message in a language that the speaker doesn't know or understand. Sometimes the message needs to be interpreted, and sometimes it's in a language that others understand. The tongues that need interpretation is the tongues that Paul was talking about that if there's no interpreter, then they should keep silent. Because it's supposed to be a message, but if there's no one to interpret it, then no one will understand it.

Some people experience different things when they're filled with the Holy Spirit, but they all have some things in common. They all speak in tongues, and they're all filled with a love, faith, and joy and excitement, greater than what they have experienced before from God.

There are several things people say to try and use as excuses against it or try to explain it away. They usually confuse the two tongues with each other, thinking all tongues are the gift of tongues, and point out that not all have the gift of tongues, or that not all speak with tongues. But the sign of tongues that every believer experiences who receives the Holy Spirit, is not the gift of tongues.

Some people try to use the excuse that we are not saved by tongues, or that tongues doesn't save us. That is trying to separate the sign of tongues from the Holy Spirit. Because it's the Holy Spirit that saves us, and speaking in tongues is the result of being filled with the Holy Spirit. And it's praying and worshiping in tongues, in the Spirit, that will help keep you saved, because it's the Spirit of Jesus Himself making intercession in you in prayer and worship unto God.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014846_univ_lsr_lg.jpg (81.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RonMurray; 01-31-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

Re: Receiving The Holy Spirit & Speaking In Tongue

The foundation of all legalism found among Oneness Pentecostals is built on this perversion of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I have a question for you.
Why was Jesus Christ baptized?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Baptism is done for uniting the sinner with the forgiver of sins; Jesus Christ

When we are baptized in the name of Jesu Christ, we are united with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection. (Rom 6:3-10)

Jesus had no need to repent and be baptized in His own repentance, because He had no sin, but, when he was baptized by John, he was baptized into our repentance, being buried and together and united with us in our (man's) repentance and confession of sin. Jesus submitted to john's baptism, so he could took take on our sin and carry it to cross, where the sins of all that repent are nailed with him on the cross. (Mark 1:4-5).

Mark 1:4-5 John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5And all the country of Judea was going out to him, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Covenant Apostolic

for Jews, baptism was a ritual cleansing in the tabernacle, you had to wash or die.
Jesus submitted to baptism to fulfill righteousness, and demonstrate that baptism is for the remission of sins.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson View Post
The foundation of all legalism found among Oneness Pentecostals is built on this perversion of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
What is the foundation for the "legalism" of the trinitarian Conservative Holiness Movement? Or the Old Order Mennonites? Or the Amish? Or various sects of schismatic Mormons? Or various Baptist groups? Or of the Puritans? Or the Pilgrims? Or the Covenanters? Or Traditional Catholics? Or Slavic Orthodox? Or Old Calendarists? Or Hasidic Jews? Or...?

Or maybe you don't know what you are talking about, you just need some high falootin' rationalization of why you disagree with certain doctrines and the people who believe them...

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 02-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

It's not a perversion of the gospel. I went to God and asked Him if it eas true that everyone who receives the Holy Ghost will speak in tongues. And He answered by leading me to Isaiah 28:11 & 12 and opened my understanding of it, and showed me the connection between that and what Jesus said in Matthew 11:28, and made me to know that it's true, that everyone who receives the Holy Spirit will speak in tongues. So this is what God Himself teaches.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Jesus was baptized for several reasons. He said it was to fulfill all righteousness. One reason is because it's part of the New Testament plan of salvation that was to be put in effect by the blood and death of Jesus, and went into effect on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was first poured out, and the church was born. The plan of salvation is all summed up in Acts 2:38, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost".

Jesus set an example that we also should be baptized. Another reason is because Jesus is our High Priest, and one of the requirements of the High Priest is that he had to wash his whole body with water. And, yes, there was a voice from God and His Spirit manifested like a dove to confirm that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, but He didn't have to be baptized for that, God could have done that during other moments, too, but He chose to do that during His baptism.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey View Post
Baptism is done for uniting the sinner with the forgiver of sins; Jesus Christ

When we are baptized in the name of Jesu Christ, we are united with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection. (Rom 6:3-10)

Jesus had no need to repent and be baptized in His own repentance, because He had no sin, but, when he was baptized by John, he was baptized into our repentance, being buried and together and united with us in our (man's) repentance and confession of sin. Jesus submitted to john's baptism, so he could took take on our sin and carry it to cross, where the sins of all that repent are nailed with him on the cross. (Mark 1:4-5).

Mark 1:4-5 John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. 5And all the country of Judea was going out to him, and all the people of Jerusalem; and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, confessing their sins.
Good point. That's another reason to consider about Jesus' baptism. Thank you. \0/
Old 02-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
for Jews, baptism was a ritual cleansing in the tabernacle, you had to wash or die.
Jesus submitted to baptism to fulfill righteousness, and demonstrate that baptism is for the remission of sins.
Yes thank you. Jesus is our High Priest. And one of the requirements of the High Priest is that he had to wash his whole body.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
What is the foundation for the "legalism" of the trinitarian Conservative Holiness Movement? Or the Old Order Mennonites? Or the Amish? Or various sects of schismatic Mormons? Or various Baptist groups? Or of the Puritans? Or the Pilgrims? Or the Covenanters? Or Traditional Catholics? Or Slavic Orthodox? Or Old Calendarists? Or Hasidic Jews? Or...?

Or maybe you don't know what you are talking about, you just need some high falootin' rationalization of why you disagree with certain doctrines and the people who believe them...
High falootin...

I apologize for making you feel disrespected.

In fact, I have a lot of nerve to down talk the beliefs of others, incessantly. I am sure that my ways have grown old on others who hold dear some of what I used to hold dear.

I will change my ways, my posting patterns, or simply find fellowship with other Christians--- people who think a little more similar to me.

I will work on me.