Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Deep Waters
Facebook

Notices

Deep Waters 'Deep Calleth Unto Deep ' -The place to go for Ministry discussions. Please keep it civil. Remember to discuss the issues, not each other.

Search For Similiar Threads Using Key Words & Phrases
crisis, doctrine, faith

Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Re: Struggling with Doctrine & Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipas View Post
I've learned that there is "red pill" and "blue pill" Christianity.

If you take the "red pill" and study the Scriptures you're going to wake up to the reality that most of "Christianity" as we know it is an illusion. It's not "biblical".

Or, you can take the "blue pill" and just go to church and believe as your told.
yes thats right. (is not right that happen ,it is sad, but your observation is right )
I think i am still in the way of waking up, you know there are many voices and satan soes not come direclty with a lie! He is coming first with some truth and then bringing the lie too.
Many people today speak about of some heresies of the church today and then you see them adopt an other heresy too.
.... anyway , my soul is sad to death sometimes and i dont wait the "great revival" ,instinct we are in the way of the "great apostasy". BUT i believe in a awakening and a marching coming out of the falsehood (under these conditions i believe in the Unity of the Church) .
But of course " never put a fire on an empty altar"
Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit&Truth View Post
Hey everyone. I'm something of a new poster here, although I have lurked on the forums off and on for a few years.

Been in church most of my life (since 5 years old or so) although my family did backslide for a while, at which point I came to God on my own (that is, apart from any push from my parents) when I was 13.

I've been running this race for 13 years now, and I've been very busy! I made up my mind a long time ago that this was the lifestyle for me. I've sat under some of the greatest men of God, and even did a couple years in Bible college. I feel I have a pretty good handle on our doctrine, was a Bible quizzer, and have been involved in ministry (still am), both assistant pastoring for one of our ministries and regularly leading worship and playing instruments.

Anyway, this may be the wrong place to post, but I'm looking for some discussion and prayer. Lately, I've been in a funk and having a crisis of faith of sorts. This all started last year when a close friend of mine, who is a minister, urged me to study the doctrine of tithing for myself and examine the whole counsel of God on the topic for myself. I put it off, because OF COURSE tithing is scriptural and essential for the NT church, right? I felt there was no way I could be wrong; I had studied before and knew all the pro-tithing points. But being a person who believes that we must LOVE the truth, I felt that I should go ahead and examine what I was being shown, because loving the truth means open to being shown that you are wrong.

So, long story short, I came to the conclusion that I was wrong on tithing. I don't really want to get into that topic in particular (thought I can elaborate if needed), this is just part of the journey. It bothered me, because if we are wrong about this, what else are we wrong about? I didn't want it to, but I felt it put me at odds with men of God who I trust with my life and know to be faithful men of God. The whole thing really bugged me, because I felt that it was plain to be seen when studying the scripture, so how could they not see? Fast forward to more recently, and I've found myself in a crisis of faith. I never thought I would be here, but I find myself questioning even core doctrines I have believed (and defended) for my whole adult/teenage life. I will humbly admit that I have even questioned right down to the existence of God, speaking in tongues, and other things, wondering if maybe none of it was real. And I am really ashamed of that. It seems impossible that I could see the things I've seen, and still have a propensity for doubt, but here I am. Deep down I love God, and my whole life has been built on this truth, and I'm just in a weird place.

Unfortunately I'm afraid if I were to bring up my doubts to the leadership at my church, then my ministry could be in jeopardy, and I love to serve and don't want to mess that up. Same goes for close friends.... I just don't want to scare people off or get branded as a heretic or something (I know I'm probably just being dramatic about that). I lead songs, play instruments, and even write songs that have been done in churches, and I don't want to mess all of that up. I just feel so weak right now, and I don't want to complicate things with the other leaders at the church or give an impression of myself that I'm not a true believer or something.

So anyway, I was just wondering if any of those here who perhaps are more experienced than me can chime in. Especially those who are in or have been in ministry. Have you found yourself in a crisis of faith like this before? What did you do to get out of it? I'm even open to books or video series that helped build your faith. Prayers are also much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
my humble opinion is that you could and must bring up your doubts on,for,to the leadership at your church.
I have some other issues (doctrinal matters) of Truth!
I saw Truths which i hide for myself but when time came and i start preach a little..i saw impossible to stay in Truth but being controlled by Leadership ,which does not believe those Truths.
(i dont know what exactly are yor problem, i mean there are people that leave churches because they are deceived and there are people that do just the oposite, they leave a false church for Truth) so i dont know exactly your situation.
Wht i did..at the beginning patience ,then some conversation and then leaving.
Watch this, may help! (i got very much hekp by this ministry after i came out among falsehood and found courage and also direction to some point)
"Rules & Doctrine! God`s way or no way" Amen.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit&Truth View Post
Hey everyone. I'm something of a new poster here, although I have lurked on the forums off and on for a few years.

Been in church most of my life (since 5 years old or so) although my family did backslide for a while, at which point I came to God on my own (that is, apart from any push from my parents) when I was 13.

I've been running this race for 13 years now, and I've been very busy! I made up my mind a long time ago that this was the lifestyle for me. I've sat under some of the greatest men of God, and even did a couple years in Bible college. I feel I have a pretty good handle on our doctrine, was a Bible quizzer, and have been involved in ministry (still am), both assistant pastoring for one of our ministries and regularly leading worship and playing instruments.

Anyway, this may be the wrong place to post, but I'm looking for some discussion and prayer. Lately, I've been in a funk and having a crisis of faith of sorts. This all started last year when a close friend of mine, who is a minister, urged me to study the doctrine of tithing for myself and examine the whole counsel of God on the topic for myself. I put it off, because OF COURSE tithing is scriptural and essential for the NT church, right? I felt there was no way I could be wrong; I had studied before and knew all the pro-tithing points. But being a person who believes that we must LOVE the truth, I felt that I should go ahead and examine what I was being shown, because loving the truth means open to being shown that you are wrong.

So, long story short, I came to the conclusion that I was wrong on tithing. I don't really want to get into that topic in particular (thought I can elaborate if needed), this is just part of the journey. It bothered me, because if we are wrong about this, what else are we wrong about? I didn't want it to, but I felt it put me at odds with men of God who I trust with my life and know to be faithful men of God. The whole thing really bugged me, because I felt that it was plain to be seen when studying the scripture, so how could they not see? Fast forward to more recently, and I've found myself in a crisis of faith. I never thought I would be here, but I find myself questioning even core doctrines I have believed (and defended) for my whole adult/teenage life. I will humbly admit that I have even questioned right down to the existence of God, speaking in tongues, and other things, wondering if maybe none of it was real. And I am really ashamed of that. It seems impossible that I could see the things I've seen, and still have a propensity for doubt, but here I am. Deep down I love God, and my whole life has been built on this truth, and I'm just in a weird place.

Unfortunately I'm afraid if I were to bring up my doubts to the leadership at my church, then my ministry could be in jeopardy, and I love to serve and don't want to mess that up. Same goes for close friends.... I just don't want to scare people off or get branded as a heretic or something (I know I'm probably just being dramatic about that). I lead songs, play instruments, and even write songs that have been done in churches, and I don't want to mess all of that up. I just feel so weak right now, and I don't want to complicate things with the other leaders at the church or give an impression of myself that I'm not a true believer or something.

So anyway, I was just wondering if any of those here who perhaps are more experienced than me can chime in. Especially those who are in or have been in ministry. Have you found yourself in a crisis of faith like this before? What did you do to get out of it? I'm even open to books or video series that helped build your faith. Prayers are also much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Hi, congratulations on starting down the road of independent thought! The reason you are feeling "weak" is likely that you are not accustomed to thinking independently (I don't mean that in an offensive way!). I've noticed that in many apostolic pentecostal churches, we are conditioned to allow the pastor to do all the thinking and set aside our own logic and reason to instead adopt all of his views. My advice to you is to know and understand what you believe and why for yourself. If we rely on the conclusions of others, we will never be firmly planted in what we know. There is a real liberty in understanding why you believe what you believe. You must approach each subject and topic independently and examine it based upon the evidence. There are many things I was taught growing up that I do not believe are true today because I've searched out the evidence or lack of evidence and come to my own conclusion. Yet, there are many core truths that I've examined and found to be rock-solid. Either way, examine the evidence for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Be convinced in your own mind. Feel free to take advantage of any of our free resources on our site. This is why our studies exist.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetUsReason View Post
Hi, congratulations on starting down the road of independent thought! The reason you are feeling "weak" is likely that you are not accustomed to thinking independently (I don't mean that in an offensive way!). I've noticed that in many apostolic pentecostal churches, we are conditioned to allow the pastor to do all the thinking and set aside our own logic and reason to instead adopt all of his views. My advice to you is to know and understand what you believe and why for yourself. If we rely on the conclusions of others, we will never be firmly planted in what we know. There is a real liberty in understanding why you believe what you believe. You must approach each subject and topic independently and examine it based upon the evidence. There are many things I was taught growing up that I do not believe are true today because I've searched out the evidence or lack of evidence and come to my own conclusion. Yet, there are many core truths that I've examined and found to be rock-solid. Either way, examine the evidence for yourself and come to your own conclusion. Be convinced in your own mind. Feel free to take advantage of any of our free resources on our site. This is why our studies exist.