Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I do what's right in...

Re: Is this one of those RELEVANT CHURCHES?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMark View Post
Dan,

The first thing you don't do when you first meet someone to witness witness to is craming tongues and doctrine down their throat. I think even conservatives would agree with that and I think the same thing applies with the website approach. The Website for some, is more of an advertisement of their church.

To imply that that he is a one stepper because of his website is a stretch
Only one person used the term One Stepper, and it wasn't Dan, it was me, and I actually said it looks more like he was a Two-stepper.

Dan gets enough grief for the things he actually says...he doesn't need to get grief for my statements as well!

~Mark Twain
Old 12-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Dan,

The first thing you don't do when you first meet someone to witness witness to is craming tongues and doctrine down their throat. I think even conservatives would agree with that and I think the same thing applies with the website approach. The Website for some, is more of an advertisement of their church.

To imply that that he is a one stepper because of his website is a stretch
Oh ... the old bait and switch?

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO TRUTH IN ADVERTISING, MARK?

Are you saying this is sugar coating?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
Only one person used the term One Stepper, and it wasn't Dan, it was me, and I actually said it looks more like he was a Two-stepper.

Dan gets enough grief for the things he actually says...he doesn't need to get grief for my statements as well!

No one gave Dan grief please
Old 12-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Pot Stirrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alicea View Post
Oh ... the old bait and switch?

Why is it bait and switch? You think it's a wise thing to cram everything down a person's throat in an advertisement of your church or first time meeting?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Why is it bait and switch? You think it's a wise thing to cram everything down a person's throat in an advertisement of your church or first time meeting?
Why wouldn't you want folks to know what you believe up front?
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
^ = A_Post-Modern

I dunno, props to WF for doing something hipper and cooler, I'm sure that it'll have some success, especially in the South...but, it doesn't appear (based on the website) to much of a paradigm change in terms of how they go about doing things. It seems to be a style and image change of the same ol' thing. Which works for alot of people and may be relevant for them...but not so much for me. If relevancy is effectiveness then relevancy is a subjective term and it depends on the targeted audience.
"Most human beings are not able to stand the message of the shaking of foundations. They reject and attack the prophetic minds, not because they really disagree with them, but because they sense the truth of their words and cannot receive it." Paul Tillich
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Own Eyes View Post
I checked on the UPCI church locator, and no pastor by that name was listed.

You are right about the salvation and HG statement. Just reading it, I would classify it as your standard one-steppers. However, the "We believe that the remission of sins occurs through water baptism by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ." definitively counters that.

I guess that makes them two-steppers? As they don't state that the HG is a necessity, just that it is available to all.
I don't think this is a "church" in the typical sense of the word. I believe this is more of a "movement". Am I wrong? Where is the church address??
Old 12-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phelps View Post
Why wouldn't you want folks to know what you believe up front?
Come on guys! You show God's love. You teach through Bible Study. You answer questions that are asked. They know you are Christian, and in one service they will know you're Pentecostal. You are trying to get people through the door to have an experience with Christ, not to cram every tidbit of your doctrine down them. That's spiritual gluttony.

I think you guys are bantering St Mark though.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Rebel with a cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Vision View Post
Come on guys! You show God's love. You teach through Bible Study. You answer questions that are asked. They know you are Christian, and in one service they will know you're Pentecostal. You are trying to get people through the door to have an experience with Christ, not to cram every tidbit of your doctrine down them. That's spiritual gluttony.

I think you guys are bantering St Mark though.
I agree with you, but again, why wouldn't you want someone to know what you believe up front?

Would you be ashamed of it? Would you worry that it would scare people off?

I think that if you are truly convinced of what you believe, you would want to let people know about it - in a loving way, of course.

Would you accept a job where the interviewer said, "We'll discuss your job duties and pay later, just come be a part of our great company, we love everyone here!"

I guess I'm a big believer of letting people know what to expect up front, but that's just me.
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Not to put down on the website or the pastor but I am not so sure that I am impressed with the vision of the vision cast/video. The production is good but it just looks like they are trying to trick folks into something that they aren't. I have a feeling that the church is pretty traditional.

Personally, I find it awesome to go start a church in what looks like one of the nicest places to live in the world. Looks like a great place to raise kids and enjoy life.