Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Re: When You Got Saved in a Baptist Church ...

I just wanted to jump in on this. Let me say that i grew up in a baptist church. I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior when i was 4 years old. I fully understood what it meant that I was a sinner separated from God...who needed Jesus Christ to pay the price for me. I was baptized as a baby originally(because my mom was lutheran)...and as a believer at 8 in the "name" of the father, son and holy ghost. It wasn't until years later after studying for a long time in my bible....as is my custom, when i was a teenager that i felt the Holy Ghost time and time again in prayer and i felt the physical manifestation when i was praying one night....it was amazing. Later i understood that the bible teaches baptism in Jesus' name. I had a pentecostal pastor friend who re-baptized me. They tried to convince me that i needed to speak in tongues to be saved...but i told them that i knew from the bible that i was saved already. I had even felt the Holy Ghost many times. A couple of years ago(i'm not 28) i got the baptism of the Holy Ghost while attending an AG church. I studied the issue out, and found that on that particular issue....i see the indwelling and baptism of the holy ghost as 2 separate events. Particularly because even many people could see the evidence of salvation in my life. There is no such requirement in scripture to speak in tongues in order to be saved. In some situations, people received the gospel, got baptized in Jesus' name...and had not received tongues. The apostles laid hands on them, and then they got it. So there isn't a consistent viewpoint of tongues as evidence of salvation. If you want evidence....look at what the bible says.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?"-Matthew 7:16

" But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."-Galatians 5:22-23

" am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."-John 15:1-5

You can't produce good fruit apart from God. It's the fruit that is evidence of salvation...not tongues. Tongues is the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

What did Jesus say about receiving the Holy Ghost?

"Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."-John 14:17

He was "with them". How? Through Jesus Christ, because Jesus is the Holy Ghost...and through the presence of the Spirit which is EVERYWHERE.

When did He go "in them"?

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost."-John 20:22

This is the indwelling of the Holy Ghost. So what is different between this and pentecost? This happened right after the resurrection. They couldn't have Him "in them" because they could not be "Holy" and "justified" before the crucifiction of Christ. Here, they "received Him".

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."-Acts 1:8

Notice the wording here. "Ye shall receive POWER, after that the Holy Ghost is come UPON you."

Why is it worded this way? Because they already had the Holy Ghost "in them". The power of the Holy Ghost needed to come upon them in order to take the gospel to the world. Without the baptism, how could they receive the "gifts" of the Holy Ghost? I had never experienced healing before the baptism of the Holy Ghost. In ministry, i had received a commission to "teach"...but other spiritual gifts weren't really there. Now I understand why. Part of receiving the baptism is to tap into that power when we need to. That's one of the purposes of praying in tongues...to edify which means to "build up".
Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The same thing has happened to the Church of Jesus Christ over the years. The original charter is held by a group with headquarters in Kingsport, TN. I don't know who their Overseer is right now. They retained the charter when Bishop Boyd Lawson resigned (under pressure) from the group in 1975. There are still several groups which use "Church of Jesus Christ" in their names. I don't know large they are. I don't think any of them are very big.
I go to Kingsport tn everyday. Would appreciate any additional info as the church I used to attend had a "church of Jesus Christ" on the end before it changed to UPC. It was in a neighboring town to Kingsport tn but sounds like it might be related

Last edited by jfrog; 11-18-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I started out in a Baptist church. During one service when I was about 12 years old the message hit me, God moved me to tears, I was drawn to the front after service to "repeat after me" for salvation, then was baptized in the titles. It was 2 more years before we changed to a pentecostal church. I never did have that feeling I felt that night again until our first service in the pentecostal church. As a teen I recieved the baptism of the Holy Ghost and was baptized in Jesus Name.

There was no doubt what I felt in that baptist church was the Spirit of God, but it never happened again while I was going there and after I left that night I knew I had felt something but the prayer and baptism just seemed empty or more ritual.

Later on in life our church was eating out and I ran into that baptist preacher. He ask how I was and where I was going to church, after I told him, he said he was glad I had moved on to truth. I asked him what he meant and he said; "I know what you have is the truth, but if I preach that in my church I will lose my congregation"

Sad.
Wow, now I know for sure what a "dumb dog that does not bark" means!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
I go to Kingsport tn everyday. Would appreciate any additional info as the church I used to attend had a "church of Jesus Christ" on the end before it changed to UPC. It was in a neighboring town to Kingsport tn but sounds like it might be related
Just because a church has "church of Jesus Christ" as part of its name does not mean they are or had been part of one of the "Church of Jesus Christ" organizations. For example, Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ or Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ or Assembly of the Lord Jesus Christ could refer to different organizations or independents. Several miles from here there is a frame church building and the name on it is Baptist Church of Jesus Christ.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Just because a church has "church of Jesus Christ" as part of its name does not mean they are or had been part of one of the "Church of Jesus Christ" organizations. For example, Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ or Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ or Assembly of the Lord Jesus Christ could refer to different organizations or independents. Several miles from here there is a frame church building and the name on it is Baptist Church of Jesus Christ.
The more I think about it the more it sounds like it used to be part of an organization. The church was just called "insert town name here" church of jesus christ.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoneimage View Post
I just wanted to jump in on this. Let me say that i grew up in a baptist church. I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior when i was 4 years old. I fully understood what it meant that I was a sinner separated from God...who needed Jesus Christ to pay the price for me. I was baptized as a baby originally(because my mom was lutheran)...and as a believer at 8 in the "name" of the father, son and holy ghost. It wasn't until years later after studying for a long time in my bible....as is my custom, when i was a teenager that i felt the Holy Ghost time and time again in prayer and i felt the physical manifestation when i was praying one night....it was amazing. Later i understood that the bible teaches baptism in Jesus' name. I had a pentecostal pastor friend who re-baptized me. They tried to convince me that i needed to speak in tongues to be saved...but i told them that i knew from the bible that i was saved already. I had even felt the Holy Ghost many times. A couple of years ago(i'm not 28) i got the baptism of the Holy Ghost while attending an AG church. I studied the issue out, and found that on that particular issue....i see the indwelling and baptism of the holy ghost as 2 separate events. Particularly because even many people could see the evidence of salvation in my life. There is no such requirement in scripture to speak in tongues in order to be saved. In some situations, people received the gospel, got baptized in Jesus' name...and had not received tongues. The apostles laid hands on them, and then they got it. So there isn't a consistent viewpoint of tongues as evidence of salvation. If you want evidence....look at what the bible says.

"Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?"-Matthew 7:16

" But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."-John 15:1-5

You can't produce good fruit apart from God. It's the fruit that is evidence of salvation...not tongues. Tongues is the evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

"Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you."-John 14:17

He was "with them". How? Through Jesus Christ, because Jesus is the Holy Ghost...and through the presence of the Spirit which is EVERYWHERE.

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost."-John 20:22

This is the indwelling of the Holy Ghost. So what is different between this and pentecost? This happened right after the resurrection. They couldn't have Him "in them" because they could not be "Holy" and "justified" before the crucifiction of Christ. Here, they "received Him".

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."-Acts 1:8

Notice the wording here. "Ye shall receive POWER, after that the Holy Ghost is come UPON you."

Why is it worded this way? Because they already had the Holy Ghost "in them". The power of the Holy Ghost needed to come upon them in order to take the gospel to the world. Without the baptism, how could they receive the "gifts" of the Holy Ghost? I had never experienced healing before the baptism of the Holy Ghost. In ministry, i had received a commission to "teach"...but other spiritual gifts weren't really there. Now I understand why. Part of receiving the baptism is to tap into that power when we need to. That's one of the purposes of praying in tongues...to edify which means to "build up".
Old 11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoneimage View Post

This is from pages 83 to 85 in Chapter 8 of Charisma Versus Charismania by Chuck Smith copyright 1992 by The Word For Today Publishers

Something More

Recently a young man came up to me and said, “I accepted Christ several years ago, but I was never too excited about it. I found reading the Bible uninteresting. In fact, my mind would wander, and I couldn’t really concentrate on the Word. I never really knew what it was to worship God, and my prayer life was erratic. But since I was filled with the Spirit a few months ago, my life has completely changed. I have a great love for the things of God. I can’t seem to get enough of the Word, and now I love to fellowship with the believers. What a great change has happened
n my life since I was filled with the Spirit!”

This story, with variations, has been told to me hundreds of times over by those who have found that there is something more than just having the Spirit indwelling their life at conversion. We do recognize that every born again believer has the Spirit dwelling in him. Writing in 1 Corinthians 6:19, Paul declares that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit who dwells in us. He also declares in 1 Corinthians 12:3 that you cannot call Christ Lord except by the Spirit.

The Spirit and the Believer

There are three Greek prepositions used in the New Testament to designate the different relationships of the Spirit to the believer: para, en, and epi. In John 14:17 Jesus said to His disciples concerning the Holy Spirit, “Ye know him; for he dwelleth with [para] you and shall be in [en] you.”

Here a twofold relationship is expressed: para (with) and en (in). The Holy Spirit was with us prior to our conversion. He is the One who brought us conviction of sin and revealed Christ as the answer. When we accepted Jesus as our Savior and invited Him into our lives, the Holy Spirit began to
indwell us.

But God has something more—the beautiful empowering through the epi relationship. Note that this is what Jesus was promising His disciples just prior to His ascension. In Luke 24:49 He said, “Behold, I send the promise of my Father upon [epi] you” or “over you.” In Acts 1:8 He said, “But ye shall receive power after that the Holy [Spirit] is come upon [epi] you.”

We read in Acts 10:44 that the Holy Spirit descended “upon” the Gentile believers in the house of Cornelius: “While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy [Spirit] fell upon [epi] all of them which heard the word.” In Acts 19:6, when Paul laid hands upon the Ephesian believers, the Holy Spirit came upon [epi] them.

We read in Acts 8 that Philip had gone to Samaria and preached Christ unto them; many people believed Philip’s preaching of the things of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, and they were baptized. If there is just one baptism (Ephesians 4:5), then we must accept that at this point the Samaritan believers were baptized by the Spirit into the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13), and the Holy Spirit began to indwell them. It is obvious, however, that there was yet a further relationship to the Holy Spirit to be received, for when the church in Jerusalem heard that the Samaritans had received the gospel, they sent Peter and John unto them that they might pray for them to receive the Holy Spirit, for as yet He had fallen upon [epi] none of them.

The Overflowing Life

When Paul came to the church in Ephesus and found that the believers’ experience was lacking, possibly in love or joy and zeal, he asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” If the full relationship with the Spirit is attained simultaneously with conversion, the question makes no sense. The question itself acknowledged a relationship deeper and beyond the conversion experience. What they were lacking was the epi relationship with the Holy Spirit, for that is what resulted when Paul laid his hands upon them in Acts 19:6: “and the Spirit came upon [epi] them.”

Being filled with the Spirit adds new dimensions of love, joy, and exuberance to the Christian life. If Paul the apostle would meet you and begin to share the glories of Christ with you, would he be apt to ask, “Did you receive the Spirit when you believed?” God wants your life not to just be indwelt or even filled with the Spirit. He wants your life to overflow.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:
When Paul came to the church in Ephesus and found that the believers’ experience was lacking, possibly in love or joy and zeal, he asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” If the full relationship with the Spirit is attained simultaneously with conversion, the question makes no sense. The question itself acknowledged a relationship deeper and beyond the conversion experience. What they were lacking was the epi relationship with the Holy Spirit, for that is what resulted when Paul laid his hands upon them in Acts 19:6: “and the Spirit came upon [epi] them.”

Being filled with the Spirit adds new dimensions of love, joy, and exuberance to the Christian life. If Paul the apostle would meet you and begin to share the glories of Christ with you, would he be apt to ask, “Did you receive the Spirit when you believed?” God wants your life not to just be indwelt or even filled with the Spirit. He wants your life to overflow.
Amen!!!
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

Unfortunately for the author the disciples at Ephesus were not Christians, but disciples of John the Baptist, as is clear from the fact they were REBAPTISED.

Not to mention Paul didn't ask 'Have you received the Second Work of Grace' but 'Did you receive the Holy Spirit'?

Two very different questions.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Unfortunately for the author the disciples at Ephesus were not Christians, but disciples of John the Baptist, as is clear from the fact they were REBAPTISED.

Not to mention Paul didn't ask 'Have you received the Second Work of Grace' but 'Did you receive the Holy Spirit'?

Two very different questions.
You are right that they were disciples of John the Baptist. However, (a big however) is that when Paul asked them this question, he (Paul) thought they were Christians who already believed the gospel.

Notice the question:
Acts 19:2 (NIV) and asked them, Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”
Acts 19:2 (CEV) He asked them, “When you put your faith in Jesus, were you given the Holy Spirit?”
Acts 19:2 (AMP) And he asked them, Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed [on Jesus as the Christ

This is in exact line as what happened to the Samaritan believers in Acts 8
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)