Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall > The Tab
Facebook

Notices

The Tab Cutting edge news of what is happening in Apostolic Oneness Pentecost today!

Old 03-27-2018, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Re: TD Jakes' influence among Oneness Pentecostals

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
That’s not true either.
Billy Cole's biography (written by Doug Joseph) devotes a chapter at the end to his relationship with TD Jakes, and how Jakes came up in/through Cole's ministry in (West?) Virginia. I read that at least tens years ago, I think, so maybe I'm mis-remembering something...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Ministry.../dp/1419672487

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
What's a modealist is that someone who builds little ships in bottles?
https://www.ntradeshows.com/brands/classic-ship-models/

I am sorry Evang; I just could not stop myself.

Last edited by RachelRose; 03-28-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
Billy Cole's biography (written by Doug Joseph) devotes a chapter at the end to his relationship with TD Jakes, and how Jakes came up in/through Cole's ministry in (West?) Virginia. I read that at least tens years ago, I think, so maybe I'm mis-remembering something...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Ministry.../dp/1419672487
"Brother TD Jakes was a plumber and a preacher while he was in our fellowship in Charleston, West Virginia. It is phenomenal how he has become so influential today, so quickly. To the best of my knowledge, he has not compromised the message of the Oneness of God, water baptism in Jesus name, and the infilling of the Holy Ghost. We are proud that his children attended our church school, and that he and his wife were married in our church building. And we're proud of the fact that his first three conferences were held in our church building. Some call him a compromiser, but in my opinion, he is just full of wisdom regarding how to speak to people."
Old 03-29-2018, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
"Brother TD Jakes was a plumber and a preacher while he was in our fellowship in Charleston, West Virginia. It is phenomenal how he has become so influential today, so quickly. To the best of my knowledge, he has not compromised the message of the Oneness of God, water baptism in Jesus name, and the infilling of the Holy Ghost. We are proud that his children attended our church school, and that he and his wife were married in our church building. And we're proud of the fact that his first three conferences were held in our church building. Some call him a compromiser, but in my opinion, he is just full of wisdom regarding how to speak to people."
That's the very quote I remembered! Well done!

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 03-29-2018, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
That's the very quote I remembered! Well done!
I think he had a relationship with the leadership at the North Charleston Church but he did not have a direct connection or affiliation to the organization. Brother Cole missed the mark on that one.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

T.D. Jakes is a hot topic among American evangelicals, or so it seems. He has been touted the successor to Billy Graham, which immediately gives him a sour taste in the mouth of many Oneness Christians.

From what I understand, Bishop Jakes has deep Pentecostal roots. It is understood that he repented and was ordained inside Oneness Pentecostalism, with a few sources saying that organization was the UPC. This would certainly lead many to the assumption that Jakes was baptized in Jesus' Name and received the Holy Ghost in a Oneness church.

Since he's become more of a public televangelist, it seems that his thoughts on the Godhead haven't been too clear. Perhaps he never addressed it in fear of the persecution that would have possibly followed after declaring a Oneness stance.

In his 2012 interview with Mark Driscoll, I don't think he ever actually said that he believed in the Trinity, or that the Godhead was triune. He referred to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost as "manifestations", not "persons". That left the Trinitarians scratching their heads. In fact, he clearly stated he didn't believe the Godhead consisted of persons, and that people called him a modalist because of that.

When looking at it as a whole, it seems rather clear that Jakes was aiming for a middle ground between the Oneness and Trinitarian view without aligning strictly with either side. He never said he was Trinitarian. He never said he was Oneness.

In saying that, however, I'm sure most Oneness Pentecostals aren't fond of Jakes, his beliefs, or stances on certain issues. In 2015, he said his beliefs on homosexuality were "evolving". I don't know what that means.

Let's just pray for him instead of tearing him down here, huh?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Romans 16:17-18 King James Version (KJV)

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
In his 2012 interview with Mark Driscoll, I don't think he ever actually said that he believed in the Trinity, or that the Godhead was triune. He referred to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost as "manifestations", not "persons". That left the Trinitarians scratching their heads. In fact, he clearly stated he didn't believe the Godhead consisted of persons, and that people called him a modalist because of that.
I have a box somewhere filled with cassette tapes of sermons, including a few of TD Jakes. In one of his messages, he is very clear on the Oneness of the Godhead. That was from the early 90s. Much has changed since then, unfortunately. I don't care to watch him anymore.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Old 06-27-2018, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I have a box somewhere filled with cassette tapes of sermons, including a few of TD Jakes. In one of his messages, he is very clear on the Oneness of the Godhead.
Yea but so does the devil! "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

This speaks for itself about him:

1 Timothy 6:10 "For the love of money is the root of ALL EVIL: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Check out my new Podcast, and YouTube Channel:
https://histruthismarchingon.blubrry.net
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name podcast where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE!